Is the end near for many farang business owners in Pattaya?

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Is the end near for many farang business owners in Patta

Post by Username Taken »

OrangeDragon wrote:i wonder... how much do those 10% account for the enjoyment of tourists there? as in, an english bar run by an englishman probably has more appeal to english tourists than an english bar run by a thai guy.
True, but, those days don't necessarily hold true anymore.

What about the novelty of an English bar run by a British educated Thai with a cockney accent.
I'm sure this is already happening. Thailand has been in the tourism business for long enough to know what tourists want (regardless of what you or I may think).
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Well, the end is near for whole country, locals and foreigners alike. Smart folks have already left but some didn't get the memo (the proverbial "writing on the wall") or are willfully ignoring it, for reasons that can only be speculated upon.

They should perhaps consider another viewing of the film The Last King of Scotland for good measure.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

Years from now, when I reach the minimum retirement visa age of 50, I will definitely be considering moving full time to Thailand again. No question. But by then, I am hoping several other countries will also have official retirement visas and I will several location options to choose from. I don't think the recent crackdown on tourist visas and now disingenuine business owners is a bad thing at all. If I feel mistreated and unappreciated by any government, I will leave and not spend any more of my money there. Simple as that. It sounds like Malaysia has gotten their policies right, as far as retirees go. I am willing to give them a chance, if Thailand gets to be too much of a hassle.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

if your over 50, Thailand is no hassle at all to be retired in as long as u follow the rules and have an income or $$

Governments come an go but one thing holds true always
the
Thai's
LOVE $$$$
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

sometimes having to fork out a lot of money IS the hassle, lol. especially for people on fixed incomes.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

If the Thai gov't starts changing their retirement visa qualifications, like raising the income requirement or proven cash-in-a-local-bank minimums, then I will probably have to change my mind about retiring there. Pulling the rug out on people living on fixed incomes would be too devious for me to trust them with my future.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

OrangeDragon wrote:sometimes having to fork out a lot of money IS the hassle, lol. especially for people on fixed incomes.
NO one needs to fork out lots of money,
I use the combo method, i put xxx in my account for one day ONLY ( which could be borrowed if i didn't have it) as i receive a small SS payment.

If your retired an u dont have a nest egg,( $25,000 is a very small amount to have after XXX years of work) ur better off staying in your own country

Soi;
no one knows what they will do ( same goes for anywhere in Asia) BUT if its like they did before when they changed the $$ requirements, those already receiving retirement extensions were grandfathered in.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

phuketrichard wrote:
I use the combo method, i put xxx in my account for one day ONLY ( which could be borrowed if i didn't have it) as i receive a small SS payment.
I thought everyone needed a letter from their local bank for each visa renewal stating the funds have been in your Thai account for a minimum of two months or something.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Soi Dog wrote:
phuketrichard wrote:
I thought everyone needed a letter from their local bank for each visa renewal stating the funds have been in your Thai account for a minimum of two months or something.
Sort a

3 ways to get a retirement extension
1. Have 800,000 in a thai bank, 1st application must be 60 days 2nd an onwards 3 months
2. Have an income of over 65,000 baht/month from outside Thailand
3. Combination of the two ( how i keep my extension) an income from outside Thailand , ( SS, pension etc etc) plus a certain amount of $$ to make up to 800,000 in the bank for ONE DAY.

Yes u need the letter from the bank but if u have the money in the bank its a 15 minute thing to do.

So example u have ss of $800/month ( 25,600/month, 307,000 baht) you need 800,000- 307,000 493,000 in the bank

1 year EXTENSION costs 1,900 baht $59,
a 1 year multiple re enty permit ( so yo can come an go as u please) 3,800 $118
so i pay /year $177
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

Am I misreading something here? I got this from a Thai Retirement Visa Services Website Q & A section:
http://www.premierthailawyers.com/thai- ... visa-faqs/

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic