We:re being scoped out!

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Re: We:re being scoped out!

Post by Felgerkarb »

frank lee bent wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:38 am the west failed to take up the opportunities for ongoing infrastructure investment.
how many rice mills are NOT Chinese owned?

as some apparatchik observed a few weeks ago- they gave us 15 years to invest, and all they got was backpackers and marijuana.

the USA cannot even maintain their own crumbling infrastructure ( viz; water in Flint Michigan ) much less create a belt-road system.
lets face it, we pissed away our natural advantage over decades.

many expats; though not all,chose Cambodia as a place where it was easy to exploit the locals with a neo colonial agenda.

now it is the turn of the PRC who will be far more ruthless and rapacious than the worst of the westerners.
I seem to have misplaced my neo colonial handbook someplace over the last few decades.
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

frank lee bent wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:52 am you must not have many young Khmer friends on FB.
resentment is already high and many are quite vocal about their dislike of the developments happening now.
SV is seeing a wholesale economic displacement of locals by PRC newcomers- even the small market stalls.
add to that the exodus by Khmer businesses formerly in the tourist industry and I think there will be an inevitable push back.
maybe they will block FB as in the PRC and block or just shut down web based media if they get too lippy.

democracy is vastly over rated anyway.
QED
Exactly this. Anyone who believes the government controlled media have any influence on the below 25's (probably below 30) is living in a different world.

Just joke with any Khmer about the Cambodian Government considering a name change for Kompong Saum and they're considering Kompong Chen as a new name and they understand the joke and the rant starts.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

I seem to have misplaced my neo colonial handbook someplace over the last few decades
certainly not singling you out with my comments or any poster here
what i reference is a personal attitude by individuals rather than a coherent geopolitical move

ie; the west collectively regarded the region as an intractable place like Laos until PRC got traction
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

This new proposed flight will increase visitor nbers even more.

https://m.phnompenhpost.com/business/ai ... ect-flight
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Post by Felgerkarb »

frank lee bent wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:57 am
I seem to have misplaced my neo colonial handbook someplace over the last few decades
certainly not singling you out with my comments or any poster here
what i reference is a personal attitude by individuals rather than a coherent geopolitical move

ie; the west collectively regarded the region as an intractable place like Laos until PRC got traction
The US never got over the war in Vietnam, and many policy makers are VN war vets...or were. Thus the more or less hands off here for decades.

But really all it takes is money. ANY power wants in here, just outspend the Chinese and like any good 136 bargirl, you have her loyalty until someone offers more.
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
xxxxxxx
Expatriate

Post by xxxxxxx »

Felgerkarb wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:25 pm The US never got over the war in Vietnam, and many policy makers are VN war vets...or were. Thus the more or less hands off here for decades.

But really all it takes is money. ANY power wants in here, just outspend the Chinese and like any good 136 bargirl, you have her loyalty until someone offers more.
Yep. That's the point I was making. Multiple nations have spent billions to help develop Cambodia to gain some political influence and improve relations. All out the window now with nothing to show for it. And nobody can outspend China now anyway, not that anyone would want to try anymore.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

didn't japan fund the entire waterfront, water project?
and this

The Japanese ambassador is set to sign a new aid package today pledging about $140 million worth of support for various projects, according to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Funding will go to four projects: flood protection and drainage in Phnom Penh, the renovation of the Battambang Provincial Referral Hospital, the development of National Road 5 and the expansion of the water supply system in Kampong Thom.
https://phnompenhpost.com/national/japa ... d-projects

Japan agreed to provide $384,817 in financial assistance to local organisations for projects in Phnom Penh, Kandal, Kampong Chhnang and Koh Kong.
https://www.b2b-cambodia.com/news/japan ... -projects/

good report on Japan/Cambodia
....But Sophal Ear, associate professor of diplomacy and world affairs at Occidental College at Los Angeles, says Japan’s long game approach aims chiefly to compete with China. “Being in the good graces of Cambodia allows Japan to believe that not all is lost with respect to Phnom Penh,” he said.

Japan is not the only country concerned about Cambodia’s close ties to China, currently its largest benefactor and seemingly political beau ideal.
https://www.atimes.com/article/japan-wo ... e-hun-sen/
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
xxxxxxx
Expatriate

Post by xxxxxxx »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:04 pm didn't japan fund the entire waterfront, water project?
You mean the waterfront that is now leased to a Chinese developer and the water/flooding projects that will soon service those planned Chinese developments. Yeah, that was nice of the Japanese. Keep your well-spent, no string attached funding flowing, Japan, and maybe build another "friendship bridge" that the Chinese can use for their belt & road system.
finbar
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by finbar »

Felge.. wrote:But really all it takes is money. ANY power wants in here, just outspend the Chinese and like any good 136 bargirl, you have her loyalty until someone offers more.
Cambodia is a whore.
But China seems bent on impregnation, which should keep her dependent, and compliant, though it fades her beauty.
-
Per ardua, ad stercus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic