Accidents occur because brakes dont work

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Accidents occur because brakes dont work

Post by explorer »

I have sometimes ridden motorbikes and driven vehicles belonging to others.

With two of the motorbikes I got on, the brakes were so worn and out of adjustment, you could only slow down gradually, not stop quickly. These were both motorbikes which appeared to be in good condition.

In both cases, I adjusted the brakes. There is an adjuster you can twist on the wheels, you dont even need tools.

This made me realize, there are many other motorbikes on the roads in Cambodia with brakes which dont work properly, and this is the cause of some accidents.

I was sitting in a shop on a corner recently, and saw an accident where two men on a motorbike ran into two girls on a motorbike. They didnt slow down at all. Which got me thinking, maybe the brakes didnt work very well.

If you want to get an idea about how many motorbikes are not maintained properly, look at how many have lights not working.

The accident rate in Cambodia is ridiculous, and any of us could be a victim.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
kocdim
Expatriate
Fiji

Re: Accidents occur because brakes dont work

Post by kocdim »

explorer wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:54 am I have sometimes ridden motorbikes and driven vehicles belonging to others.

With two of the motorbikes I got on, the brakes were so worn and out of adjustment, you could only slow down gradually, not stop quickly. These were both motorbikes which appeared to be in good condition.

In both cases, I adjusted the brakes. There is an adjuster you can twist on the wheels, you dont even need tools.

This made me realize, there are many other motorbikes on the roads in Cambodia with brakes which dont work properly, and this is the cause of some accidents.

I was sitting in a shop on a corner recently, and saw an accident where two men on a motorbike ran into two girls on a motorbike. They didnt slow down at all. Which got me thinking, maybe the brakes didnt work very well.

If you want to get an idea about how many motorbikes are not maintained properly, look at how many have lights not working.

The accident rate in Cambodia is ridiculous, and any of us could be a victim.
Before 8 months I was driving the moto. One of the breaks got very loose. I didnt know the problem and I was keep on driving since the the other was fine (i though I need to change the whole breaks and I though is going to be like 50-70 usd). Then hold and behold the other break got super loose. The shop was closed was like 4-5pm. I drive almost 12 hours on very loose breaks almost no breaks. When I went to the shop next they they just tighten the screw on the back break and added liquid on the front and works like new. The point of the story is :): You are right, and maybe some people they do budget on the breaks.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic