5 Men Brewpub SHV

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
wackyjacky
Expatriate

5 Men Brewpub SHV

Post by wackyjacky »

4 of us tried the place out the other night. It's a huge place on the road between Independence & Ekareach. You'll see a big Becks like sign on the L I had high hopes since one of the partners supposedly studied at a Munich Beer-making Institute. They make a Pilsner & a Stout. The beers are both undrinkable, yet the place is packed. They don't have the slightest clue how to make beer or they're serving their beer before it's ready. Why anybody would put out such a bullshit product is beyond me. Imagine the most horrible beer you've ever had - this is 100 times worse. They taste like the beers I've made before 2ndary fermentation in the bottle for a couple weeks. The beers are both flat. The Pils is particularly disgusting and cloudy as it hasn't been fined. Too much aromatic hops are used in both. The food is OK, but there's nothing to drink except their dogshit beer like product.
Drifter
Expatriate

Re: 5 Men Brewpub SHV

Post by Drifter »

wackyjacky wrote:4 of us tried the place out the other night. It's a huge place on the road between Independence & Ekareach. You'll see a big Becks like sign on the L I had high hopes since one of the partners supposedly studied at a Munich Beer-making Institute. They make a Pilsner & a Stout. The beers are both undrinkable, yet the place is packed. They don't have the slightest clue how to make beer or they're serving their beer before it's ready. Why anybody would put out such a bullshit product is beyond me. Imagine the most horrible beer you've ever had - this is 100 times worse. They taste like the beers I've made before 2ndary fermentation in the bottle for a couple weeks. The beers are both flat. The Pils is particularly disgusting and cloudy as it hasn't been fined. Too much aromatic hops are used in both. The food is OK, but there's nothing to drink except their dogshit beer like product.
typical sihanoukville.

i give them 6 months at most before they sell out.
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

Doubt it. There were a shitload of people drinking that swill. Maybe the problem is that they can't make it fast enough, so they serve it before it's fermented properly.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

Slightly off topic but would like to have some happy beer a friend in Alaska make it and it was good
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

they should get a vietnamese to show them how to make bia hoi- that is a good brew and quick to make.
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

frank lee bent wrote:they should get a vietnamese to show them how to make bia hoi- that is a good brew and quick to make.
And so fucking cheap it's almost free.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

I have been homebrewing beer and making wine for over 15 years. I travel to Singapore to Ibrew to get my equipment, ingredients, and on my fourth batch (America Style Cream Ale) and currently have a batch of Cherry cider brewing.

I find their beer very good and quite drinkable (and very cheap.) The lite has a nice hoppy start with a crisp finish. The dark has a very nice malty flavor and is my favorite. I can't pass by the place without stopping. They both come out with nice heads and in a icy mug.

I guess when one is used to drinking the swill-from-the hill in Sihanoukville at $.50 a mug or the rest of the Cambo beer, when you find good beer it tastes "funny." If I have to drink Cambodian beer I drink Cambodia Beer. At home I'm currently drinking a batch of American Style Cream Ale and it goes down so good. I don't usually do Lager as I like Ales, but yesterday I received the ingredients for Australian Lager. Now I have to buy an extra refrigerator as lager has to be brewed at around 65F.

"Happy Beer?" Easy to make, but I try to stay away from the illegal side of things. BTW/ I lived in Alaska for 20 years. Alaskan beer that is brewed in Juneau, Alaska is great. They make a Smoked Porter once a year that's to die for. I really miss Grant's Scottish Ale that was made by Bud Grant in Yakama, Washington, as Bud died. RIP Bud, a true brewmaster's brewmaster.
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

Maybe I got a bad batch of green beer, but the beers I had there were the worst I've ever had, including home brewers who gave me a lousy sample. I've made beer a couple dozen times. I've quaffed easily a thousand different beers and I've worked and owned bars all my life. If you drank what I drank and thought it was good, I'd seriously question your sanity.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

To each his own, but most of the people I run across in Snooky think the Swill-From-The-Hill is good beer, so I take this into account. Sanity? Well, Everyone in the world is crazy except thee and me and sometimes I wonder about thee. I stop at this place at least four times a week and have never had a "bad" beer. (The service could be a little better, but I do get free peanuts.)

In my misspent youth I actually bartended to make ends meet/pay for school, have tasted hundreds and hundreds of beers and made I don't know how many batch's of homebrew in over 15 years, and I like the beer this guy makes. As to qualifications on beer tasting, as I said to each his own, but I drink my qualifications at home everyday. Sat. I'm starting another batch of America Style Cream Ale ( close to original Genesee Cream Ale) and a batch of Scottish Ale. Did you eat something with fish sauce on it before drinking his beer, this could have put your taste off.

BTW/ When I left AmeriKa almost three years ago I sold between $3 and $4 thousand dollars worth of beer making equipment. (I wish I could have brought it with me, as I had a great keg setup and lots of glass carboys, keg, CO2 bottles ,and even one from the '20s that held about 30 gal.)
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

I'll give 'em another shot based on your say so, but the shit we got the other night was just wrong. They probably skipped aging/conditioning altogether to meet demand. Maybe somebody fucked up and fermentation stopped. There was absolutely no CO2 in the Pilsner or the Stout and they had a lot of off-putting phenolics. 3 or 4 weeks aging could possibly have straightened it out.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic