MY work permit experience, update

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: MY work permit experience, update

Post by StroppyChops »

AndyKK wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:00 am
StroppyChops wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:53 pm
AndyKK wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:30 pm Sorry I may have not been clear. If say you are to use an outside sorce such as an agent. For the application of the work permit they would still have to use the portal.
Ah, okay - now I understand the confusion and it's possibly come from my wording. No, agents still go directly to MoL for client work permits, they don't submit online.
I didn't know that! So this is why there could be discrepancies and corruption involved. Happy mine is ligit. I had a years back pay for not having a work permit in 2016.
Sounds like you got off easy too.

Edit: rephrase - sounds like you weren't scammed as much as others, either.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

StroppyChops wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:39 pm
AndyKK wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:30 pm Sorry I may have not been clear. If say you are to use an outside sorce such as an agent. For the application of the work permit they would still have to use the portal.
Ah, okay - now I understand the confusion and it's possibly come from my wording. No, agents still go directly to MoL for client work permits, they don't submit online.
I didn't know that! So this is why there could be discrepancies and corruption involved. Happy mine is ligit. I had a years back pay for not having a work permit in 2016.

Possibly so! But I had no work permit for one year. So when immigration came from Phnom Penh and joined official's of the works and labour department. On them checking my document's for the business. Then my passport and visa! But no work permit for that year, pay back and receipt.
Others here in kk had repayments and fines for five years or more.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

AndyKK wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:20 pm
StroppyChops wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:39 pm

Possibly so! But I had no work permit for one year. So when immigration came from Phnom Penh and joined official's of the works and labour department. On them checking my document's for the business. Then my passport and visa! But no work permit for that year, pay back and receipt.
Others here in kk had repayments and fines for five years or more.
Interesting. Were the backpayments receipted? Sounds very scammy to me.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

That is there in my explanation. Yes I had official recipts. Also photos of the officer's.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

StroppyChops wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:27 pm Note that this relates to MY experience, yours has almost certainly been different.

I received my WP card today - total cost, $133 and change for 2018, no penalties for previous years in the country, no fines. $100 for the year's permit, $30 for the outsource fee, and tax on the outsourcing.

I used the online portal which - and this is not posted anywhere - has a technical glitch in uploading the last few documents and works in Chrome but not Firefox.

I started the application process early in the year, but a) the process and the portal requirements changed a few times in that period, and b) the Ministry introduced a new requirement that work contracts must be registered at the Ministry (something best done by a fixer from your company). It was returned several times for different or updated documents, but eventually approved, and I was emailed an invoice to pay at ACLEDA. The bank has a separate deposit code for work permit payments, and issues a formal government receipt, so at this point you're covered while you wait for the card to be made and delivered.

As the portal is outsourced, the card should have been delivered by the third-party company but wasn't. When we called the MoL it wasn't at all interested (presumably because we used the portal and refused to play the tea money game with them or their relative's agencies) but eventually gave us the name of the private company after some insistence. They initially suggested we "Google It" but we weren't keen on that as an official government response. A quick call to the company, and voila, all was ready and the card was waiting for collection. They'd attempted to deliver to my school while it was in recess, and after a first attempt they wait for the client to contact them. A minor complaint is that it would have been nice to know that the company existed, what it's called, how to contact it, and that I should be in touch with them. I'll know for next time.

Now, apparently, all I need to do for 2019 is upload a new Physical Aptitude Certificate - my employment contract is valid and registered for next year - and the process is almost automatic for future work permits.

I've stated it previously - I have never heard or a SINGLE expat using the online portal being charged fees, fines or penalties for previous years. Further, every expat I have heard of using an agent for work permits HAS paid back-fees, fines, and/or penalties for previous years lived in the Kingdom. Some have paid $100 for every previous year, plus a $300+ "fine", and, to add insult to injury, "taxes." Let's hope the snouts in troughs will become fewer as people wise up and switch to the portal. I also look forward to the day when EOS applications move to an online portal to remove the same porkage that is standard.

EDIT: Admins, please don't publish this thread to the Facebook page. I'm recognisable in the community and I don't want any chancers at my gate looking for "back fees".
Sorry for going off topic, if only slightly :)
It's been a long time since we have discussed a business subject.
You have made a nice helpful thread mr Stroopy.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic