MY work permit experience, update

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: MY work permit experience, update

Post by StroppyChops »

Brody wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:38 pm
StroppyChops wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:35 pm
Brody wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:08 pm If you don't mind, what was the year on the 'Visa and Arrival Immigration Stamp' that you had to upload a image/pdf of to the portal.

Just wondering how many years of back EOS's you would have been dinged for had you gone the agent route.
2014 - so, four additional years potentially.

Thanks, that's encouraging. Mine goes back to 2009 so we'll see how it goes when I go through the process.
Given kiwi's post above, I wouldn't get too excited yet. There might be a filter in play that ignores shorter non-WP periods and focuses on longer ones. I honestly hope for your sake that's not the case. You may also find that if you didn't start the application process before the deadline (I did, by a day) you'll come under closer scrutiny - again, hopefully not.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

StroppyChops wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:36 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:33 pm
I have never heard or a SINGLE expat using the online portal being charged fees, fines or penalties for previous years.
I know of several who have been charged retroactive fees for previous years on an E-type Visa but no WP when applying via the portal...they are not very consistent, and it is hit n' miss.
That's literally the first I've heard of it happening. You are the man to know when it comes to visas, EOS, and WP - what percentage would you estimate are getting hit for back payment on the portal, of those you know of?
Really hard to tell...I know of at least one guy who got away with over 10 years of retroactive fees, and another who had to pay 8 years worth...both applied via the portal at around the same time. Some with 1 - 5 years, same-same, there is absolutely Zero consistency.

Anyone who is in the situation of applying for their first ever work permit after having being here on an E-type Visa in previous years should be prepared to pay the retroactive fee of $100 per year...if you don't get charged for it, then thats a bonus, extra beer money :beer2:
Jacobincambodia
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Jacobincambodia »

I heard you have to renew your work permit every January. So will you need to go through this process again in a few months?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Jacobincambodia wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:55 pm I heard you have to renew your work permit every January. So will you need to go through this process again in a few months?
Yes, Work Permits are valid for the calendar year only Jan 1st - Dec 31st, no matter what time of year they are applied for and received

...they are not valid for 1 year from the date of issue which many people incorrectly assume.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:42 pm
StroppyChops wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:36 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:33 pm
I have never heard or a SINGLE expat using the online portal being charged fees, fines or penalties for previous years.
I know of several who have been charged retroactive fees for previous years on an E-type Visa but no WP when applying via the portal...they are not very consistent, and it is hit n' miss.
That's literally the first I've heard of it happening. You are the man to know when it comes to visas, EOS, and WP - what percentage would you estimate are getting hit for back payment on the portal, of those you know of?
Really hard to tell...I know of at least one guy who got away with over 10 years of retroactive fees, and another who had to pay 8 years worth...both applied via the portal at around the same time. Some with 1 - 5 years, same-same, there is absolutely Zero consistency.

Anyone who is in the situation of applying for their first ever work permit after having being here on an E-type Visa in previous years should be prepared to pay the retroactive fee of $100 per year...if you don't get charged for it, then thats a bonus, extra beer money :beer2:
Yep, we had the back payment put away just in case, and it would have hurt us, but relieved to get to keep it. We see it as a bonus.

I think the lack of consistency is the annoying bit - especially when you remember there was an armistice a while back.
Jacobincambodia wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:55 pm I heard you have to renew your work permit every January. So will you need to go through this process again in a few months?
Yeah, as kiwi said you're paying for the current calendar year, with a small discount if you pay for this year and next year. If you've gone through the process online, the following years should be very routine, and I would hope that if you're renewing a work permit, there will be no discussion of years prior to the original wp.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

StroppyChops wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:02 pm Yep, we had the back payment put away just in case.
Same here...I'm just going to assume that I'll be dinged for it. Hard to imagine they'd pass up an easy grand. Anyway I'm proud to do my small part to keep that ministry parking lot chocked full of 6 figure monstrosities.

It'd be pretty sweet though if I lucked out and didn't get hit for it.

The first thing I'd do would be to take Strop and That Genius out for a steak dinner. We'd have a raucous couple of hours trading ribald puns and bashing all things America.

One can dream
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Pass.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

StroppyChops wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:35 pm
Brody wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:08 pm If you don't mind, what was the year on the 'Visa and Arrival Immigration Stamp' that you had to upload a image/pdf of to the portal.

Just wondering how many years of back EOS's you would have been dinged for had you gone the agent route.
2014 - so, four additional years potentially.
AndyKK wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:17 pm StroppyChops when you quote - eliminate human interaction (corruption). Would not the 3rd party. Say an agent, have to use the same method, putting all the documents in the same. Thus charging the fee for doing so?
I'm not sure I understand your question fully. The Cambodian government outsourced the complete work permit application process to a private tech company (possibly in Malaysia?) with an established processing fee of $30 plus tax.

Common understanding is that all of the visa/permit agencies are extended family of ministry officials, who between them have sewn up the documents market in such a way as to be able to charge whatever they hell they like, as long as the whole cartel is charging the same amount.

What have I missed?
AndyKK wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:24 pm Also not to be discouraging about not being fined or back pay for outstanding year's. We have a immigration visit once a year to check on document's. That is when the shit hits the fan.
Mm, my point is NOT that I feel like I've dodged back payments, my point is that I honestly believe back payments are an absolute scam cooked up between the above-mentioned officials and their extended family agents. My bigger question is where that cream ends up, because in almost every sob story I've heard the back payments are not receipted, which means you can guaran-dam-tee they're not going into official coffers. And thats a SIGNIFICANT amount of moolah being raked to not end up on the pile, neh?

I'm not concerned about MoI checks on documents and also go through them annually - the WP is a MoL issue, and AFAIK and have experienced, one Ministry doesn't check details for the other - not that I have anything to be concerned about as my documents are legit and up to date, more-so now that I'm holding the WP card.
Sorry I may have not been clear. If say you are to use an outside sorce such as an agent. For the application of the work permit they would still have to use the portal.
Has for back payment of year's without. Many whom held an E type EOS didn't have a work permit because they didn't work. Loopholes! Not really, just no man power to carry out the law. Also know people who had one from day one, some I know of go back nine years, had work permits but never worked, but again it is and was the law to have one.
Again with visa change many could obtain the retirement status. The people who was in, and starting business were easy targets. I was one of many and yes immigration will provide an official receipt.
With no organisation and man power you can understand why the process has gone on the computer and another country is handling. Especially with the Chinese applications.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

AndyKK wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:30 pm Sorry I may have not been clear. If say you are to use an outside sorce such as an agent. For the application of the work permit they would still have to use the portal.
Ah, okay - now I understand the confusion and it's possibly come from my wording. No, agents still go directly to MoL for client work permits, they don't submit online.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

StroppyChops wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:53 pm
AndyKK wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:30 pm Sorry I may have not been clear. If say you are to use an outside sorce such as an agent. For the application of the work permit they would still have to use the portal.
Ah, okay - now I understand the confusion and it's possibly come from my wording. No, agents still go directly to MoL for client work permits, they don't submit online.
I didn't know that! So this is why there could be discrepancies and corruption involved. Happy mine is ligit. I had a years back pay for not having a work permit in 2016.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic