new way to send $$$

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

new way to send $$$

Post by phuketrichard »

Richard Branson invested in TransferWise

https://transferwise.com/
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
walkjivefly
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: new way to send $$$

Post by walkjivefly »

Yeah, come back and tell us about it when you've actually used it and can tell us how much you got charged. Xendpay, CurrencyFair and others all quote better rates than the banks but forget to mention that you'll still pay intermediary bank fees. I bet the effective rate you end up paying is rather different from their headline rate. Same as your air tickets always cost loads more than advertised because the airlines don't bother to mention all the taxes and surcharges upfront.
EdinWigan
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by EdinWigan »

any updates on this one?
Remember your Karma helps a Wet Child In Wigan !
HotRecruiter
Expatriate

Post by HotRecruiter »

PayPal charges 1% to withdraw from an ATM. About 2.5% to convert currency. Also costs about 1% (?) to send money not in US. One can at this moment in July 2014 retrieve money from Canadia ATMs without fees, Visa or MC (MC might have $400 per day limit, though).
walkjivefly
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by walkjivefly »

How do you withdraw money from PayPal (in Cambodia) using an ATM card? PayPal don't allow payments into bank accounts here.

Neither CurrencyFair nor Transferwise support Cambodia. Xendpay claim they will refund any intermediary (but not receiving) bank charges but I think it might be hard to get the documentation they require to process the refund.

I've just used CheapMoneyTransferCambodia for the second time for a UK to Cambodia transfer. Made a UK transfer on Thursday, received dollars in my Canadia account today. If you give them a try quote referrer code MB1543 and we'll both get a discount on our transfers. I have no connection with this outfit apart from being a satisfied customer.
walkjivefly
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by walkjivefly »

I made a transfer last week with XendPay. The intermediary bank(s) took $45 out of the transfer. XendPay have just refunded me the $45 at the current exchange rate. They accepted a pdf statement from the receiving bank internet banking site. Good work XendPay.
HotRecruiter
Expatriate

Post by HotRecruiter »

Walkjivefly, just get a Paypal MC sent to you. Same as an ATM card.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic