MY work permit experience, update

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

MY work permit experience, update

Post by StroppyChops »

Note that this relates to MY experience, yours has almost certainly been different.

I received my WP card today - total cost, $133 and change for 2018, no penalties for previous years in the country, no fines. $100 for the year's permit, $30 for the outsource fee, and tax on the outsourcing.

I used the online portal which - and this is not posted anywhere - has a technical glitch in uploading the last few documents and works in Chrome but not Firefox.

I started the application process early in the year, but a) the process and the portal requirements changed a few times in that period, and b) the Ministry introduced a new requirement that work contracts must be registered at the Ministry (something best done by a fixer from your company). It was returned several times for different or updated documents, but eventually approved, and I was emailed an invoice to pay at ACLEDA. The bank has a separate deposit code for work permit payments, and issues a formal government receipt, so at this point you're covered while you wait for the card to be made and delivered.

As the portal is outsourced, the card should have been delivered by the third-party company but wasn't. When we called the MoL it wasn't at all interested (presumably because we used the portal and refused to play the tea money game with them or their relative's agencies) but eventually gave us the name of the private company after some insistence. They initially suggested we "Google It" but we weren't keen on that as an official government response. A quick call to the company, and voila, all was ready and the card was waiting for collection. They'd attempted to deliver to my school while it was in recess, and after a first attempt they wait for the client to contact them. A minor complaint is that it would have been nice to know that the company existed, what it's called, how to contact it, and that I should be in touch with them. I'll know for next time.

Now, apparently, all I need to do for 2019 is upload a new Physical Aptitude Certificate - my employment contract is valid and registered for next year - and the process is almost automatic for future work permits.

I've stated it previously - I have never heard or a SINGLE expat using the online portal being charged fees, fines or penalties for previous years. Further, every expat I have heard of using an agent for work permits HAS paid back-fees, fines, and/or penalties for previous years lived in the Kingdom. Some have paid $100 for every previous year, plus a $300+ "fine", and, to add insult to injury, "taxes." Let's hope the snouts in troughs will become fewer as people wise up and switch to the portal. I also look forward to the day when EOS applications move to an online portal to remove the same porkage that is standard.

EDIT: Admins, please don't publish this thread to the Facebook page. I'm recognisable in the community and I don't want any chancers at my gate looking for "back fees".
Last edited by StroppyChops on Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: MY work permit experience, update

Post by cautious colin »

StroppyChops wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:27 pm
As the portal is outsourced, the card should have been delivered by the third-party company but wasn't.
Is this the same third-party each time. If so do you have the name of the company for future users?
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

cautious colin wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:37 pm
StroppyChops wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:27 pm
As the portal is outsourced, the card should have been delivered by the third-party company but wasn't.
Is this the same third-party each time. If so do you have the name of the company for future users?
Yes, there is only one company that handles the portal-derived work permits. Wing me $300 for the name of the company.

I jest, I'll post the information later when I have it at hand, I'm away from my office at the moment. Although, the name of the company is irrelevant to anyone who hasn't completed the online application successfully, as the stated intent of the system is to eliminate human interaction (and thus eliminate opportunities for corruption) and the company is just a delivery agent for the cards. I understand the project is outsourced from another country.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

If you don't mind, what was the year on the 'Visa and Arrival Immigration Stamp' that you had to upload a image/pdf of to the portal.

Just wondering how many years of back EOS's you would have been dinged for had you gone the agent route.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

StroppyChops when you quote - eliminate human interaction (corruption). Would not the 3rd party. Say an agent, have to use the same method, putting all the documents in the same. Thus charging the fee for doing so?
Always "hope" but never "expect".
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Also not to be discouraging about not being fined or back pay for outstanding year's. We have a immigration visit once a year to check on document's. That is when the shit hits the fan.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

I have never heard or a SINGLE expat using the online portal being charged fees, fines or penalties for previous years.
I know of several who have been charged retroactive fees for previous years on an E-type Visa but no WP when applying via the portal...they are not very consistent, and it is hit n' miss.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Brody wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:08 pm If you don't mind, what was the year on the 'Visa and Arrival Immigration Stamp' that you had to upload a image/pdf of to the portal.

Just wondering how many years of back EOS's you would have been dinged for had you gone the agent route.
2014 - so, four additional years potentially.
AndyKK wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:17 pm StroppyChops when you quote - eliminate human interaction (corruption). Would not the 3rd party. Say an agent, have to use the same method, putting all the documents in the same. Thus charging the fee for doing so?
I'm not sure I understand your question fully. The Cambodian government outsourced the complete work permit application process to a private tech company (possibly in Malaysia?) with an established processing fee of $30 plus tax.

Common understanding is that all of the visa/permit agencies are extended family of ministry officials, who between them have sewn up the documents market in such a way as to be able to charge whatever they hell they like, as long as the whole cartel is charging the same amount.

What have I missed?
AndyKK wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:24 pm Also not to be discouraging about not being fined or back pay for outstanding year's. We have a immigration visit once a year to check on document's. That is when the shit hits the fan.
Mm, my point is NOT that I feel like I've dodged back payments, my point is that I honestly believe back payments are an absolute scam cooked up between the above-mentioned officials and their extended family agents. My bigger question is where that cream ends up, because in almost every sob story I've heard the back payments are not receipted, which means you can guaran-dam-tee they're not going into official coffers. And thats a SIGNIFICANT amount of moolah being raked to not end up on the pile, neh?

I'm not concerned about MoI checks on documents and also go through them annually - the WP is a MoL issue, and AFAIK and have experienced, one Ministry doesn't check details for the other - not that I have anything to be concerned about as my documents are legit and up to date, more-so now that I'm holding the WP card.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:33 pm
I have never heard or a SINGLE expat using the online portal being charged fees, fines or penalties for previous years.
I know of several who have been charged retroactive fees for previous years on an E-type Visa but no WP when applying via the portal...they are not very consistent, and it is hit n' miss.
That's literally the first I've heard of it happening. You are the man to know when it comes to visas, EOS, and WP - what percentage would you estimate are getting hit for back payment on the portal, of those you know of?
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

StroppyChops wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:35 pm
Brody wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:08 pm If you don't mind, what was the year on the 'Visa and Arrival Immigration Stamp' that you had to upload a image/pdf of to the portal.

2014 - so, four additional years potentially.

Thanks, that's encouraging. Mine goes back to 2009 so we'll see how it goes when I go through the process.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic