The BEST Bank Account For American Expats

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: The BEST Bank Account For American Expats

Post by StroppyChops »

giblet wrote:Good point. They block my card ALL OF THE TIME even though I have told them I live in Cambodia. Recently I was in a bank in Siem Reap and a tourist was going mental yelling at the bank staff. His Khmer companion was standing there, mortified. The guy was waving a card around and I could see the Schwab logo so I took him aside and told him that the problem was almost definitely on Schwab's end and he'd need to have a nice long chat with them before they would activate the card again.
With the exception of Western Union staff who were deliberately being obtuse over more than a week I've never gotten loud with Khmer service staff. If I ever do, I hope you or someone like you are around to take me aside and smack sense into me.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
0to60
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by 0to60 »

I believe this bank is completely online. No actual buildings with people and money inside.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

Schwab has over 300 offices with over 13,000 people working inside and they hold more than $2 trillion in client assets.
0to60
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by 0to60 »

But are any of those offices actual banks, or investment brokers?
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

StroppyChops wrote:
giblet wrote:Good point. They block my card ALL OF THE TIME even though I have told them I live in Cambodia. Recently I was in a bank in Siem Reap and a tourist was going mental yelling at the bank staff. His Khmer companion was standing there, mortified. The guy was waving a card around and I could see the Schwab logo so I took him aside and told him that the problem was almost definitely on Schwab's end and he'd need to have a nice long chat with them before they would activate the card again.
With the exception of Western Union staff who were deliberately being obtuse over more than a week I've never gotten loud with Khmer service staff. If I ever do, I hope you or someone like you are around to take me aside and smack sense into me.
I only had to do so one time, and it was on the phone, and it was after they had "misplaced" $7,000 in wire transfers for a week.

Someone at that bank was enjoying an interest free short term loan is my bet.
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

0to60 wrote:But are any of those offices actual banks, or investment brokers?
They're fucking huge and in every CBD in the US. Chuck bought a bank maybe a dozen years ago. There was one 100m from my bar in San Francisco. What's so hard about Googling them dude ?
0to60
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by 0to60 »

I did and that one branch in San Francisco is where they started out before they decided to become a brokerage company. I also went to their website. Nada. Other than the historical monument in San Fransisco(and maybe not even there), they have no place where you can make a cash deposit, without using someone else's bank as a middleman. Their website says you can mail them a check.

What's a CBD?
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

It doesn't affect you in Cambodia when getting US dollars from the ATMs there, but any card usually gives you a crap exchange rate when withdrawing foreign currencies, which is often equal to a 1.5% hidden fee. My E*Trade card does anyway.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

0to60 wrote:I did and that one branch in San Francisco is where they started out before they decided to become a brokerage company. I also went to their website. Nada. Other than the historical monument in San Fransisco(and maybe not even there), they have no place where you can make a cash deposit, without using someone else's bank as a middleman. Their website says you can mail them a check.

What's a CBD?
Central Business District.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
0to60
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by 0to60 »

When I clicked on their find a branch, all I got was a list of brokerage branches. While you can go in there ask questions about your online account, you can't give them cash for deposits or most other things you would do at a normal bank. Everything has to be done on the internet or on the telephone.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic