Brit Matthew Paul King Arrested Over Ordeal at Guesthouse in Kampot; Commits Suicide in Immigration Detention

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Re: Brit Matthew Paul King Arrested Over Ordeal at Guesthouse in Kampot; Commits Suicide in Immigration Detention

Post by prahocalypse now »

violet wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:29 am
prahocalypse now wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:14 am
Barang chgout wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:44 am Is the use of quotation marks an indication that someone believes this was not a suicide?

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk
I believe that this use of quotation marks is a literary device employed to imply scepticism.
Hence the question.
The question should be asked and answered here: darknet-cambodia-news/expat-suicides-ca ... 22423.html
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Brit Matthew Paul King Arrested Over Ordeal at Guesthouse in Kampot; Commits Suicide in Immigration Detention

Post by taabarang »

John Bingham wrote:Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:39 am All very sad really. I remember feeling rough at various times in my life but never considered suicide an option. For some it isn't so easy though, and maybe they just get a bit carried away with dumb ideas. It's a pity because he probably would have woken up the next day and totally forgotten what the problem was.
I know you weren't referring specifically to people dying of a terminal illness, people who wake up every day and can't ignore or forget the problem that plagues them. Or people who cope with long term depression and find no hope in medication. These are cases where I find a final exit a reasonable option.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Beerinthemorning »

Blue mountain cafe comes to mind......
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Beerinthemorning »

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.smh ... dmf10.html

Kampor was a former euthanasia hotspot until Western authorities closed it down...
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Beerinthemorning wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:28 am https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.smh ... dmf10.html

Kampor was a former euthanasia hotspot until Western authorities closed it down...
Shut down by western authorities??? You think the local competent authorities were told what to do by other countries?
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

We have someone who sounds a bit nutty, named Jamie Johnston with The Shipping Forecast, saying he will get our website shut down with the help of Sony Music Entertainment if we don't remove the images of the shoe strings. I get that friends and family aren't particularly glad to see Matt King's death reported and commented on, but having a friend of the family going around threatening websites with closure is ridiculous.

Here are some of his emails to CEO:

In the interests of good taste could you please remove / delete / 
temporarily mute the forum thread about the arrest and sadly the death of 
Matthew Paul King. I ask you this politely on behalf of Mathews family and 
friends. These images (especially the photoshopped) images in the light of 
his death are very sensitive material. 

We accept that they may leak out by other means eventually but for now do 
the responsible thing and save his poor family further distress. It is 
within my power to prevent your website from being able to engage in any 
social media activities for some considerable. I would hope I wouldn’t have 
to use this and you would respect our wishes. 

I am sensible of the fact that the opinions and attitudes of the people 
posting on your forum are not your own as a consequence this is one thread 
in isolation. I would appreciate a speedy resolution tony request and let 
me know how you will disable this thread from comment, sharing and the 
removal of any images.

This is not intended as a threat so I apologise if you read it that way. Grief does strange things to people. I am suggesting a course of action that could be pursued if you weren’t to behave rationally and sensitively. This forum thread and images are easily searchable via any search engine currently. I am requesting politely that you take down / suspend whichever action is within your power as administrator to do with immediacy. If this is not in your power please put me in touch with the people that are able to sanction such a respectful course.

It would be overkill for Sony Music Entertainment and our legal representatives to get involved at this stage when you could so easily just take this forum thread down or suspend it for 90 days, or delete altogether, whichever you see fit frankly. As requested in my previous email I would appreciate a response with a suggested course of action.

If this story or thread is tweeted or shared via another social media outlet directly from your page you will find they are taken down due to the sensitive content fairly rapidly. All we are doing is protecting the interests of the family, friends and colleagues. I’m sure as a rational human being you will understand.

Thank you for communicating with me and doing what little is in your power to prevent your forum / news source being accused of insensitive and ghoulish behaviour across social media. I only have one further request and that is the images posted by CEOCambodiaNews on page 3 of the thread on your forum. 

The image of his shoelaces is the sort of content that gets websites and forums blocked or shut down. It may seem unnecessary and not insensitive but if a member of your family shot themselves and I shared an image of the smoking gun you might consider my actions somewhat insensitive to your human tragedy.

It’s not that loose an analogy is it?

Please remove those images from your forum and I will have no reason to attempt any further communication or action with you and your forum.

Now the Daily Mail has published from this morning other U.K. journalists will be snooping about your forum. Are you sure you want to be the source quoted for sharing ‘insensitive content’ online in such tragic circumstances . To those in the know a ‘spoiler’ might be perceived as a way on attracting attention to the hidden images. One last chance to remove them even if only temporarily to save family, friends further distress by these images being shared further and your site being the ‘morally complacent’ site who hosted them.

Can you answer me “what was the news source of the image”. If you share that information with me I will go away and cease bothering you.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Did you advise him of the pressing need for him to go forth and multiply? =@
PIEMAN
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by PIEMAN »

:please: i read last year that britian gives so many millions to cambodia,well its about time the goverment and british embassy employed a brit who can be notified when people end up in Matthews position,just being reassured that someone from the embassy is on your case,may lessens the stress of the situation.how many more brits are going to die before the goverment and embassy act. :dm:
Meat pie Sausage Roll come on Rovers score a goal.
https://www.facebook.com/Pieman-Phnom-P ... 711967235/
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Lol!
I heard Sony once went after Rogue.
Sent a letter or some such.
Got told this is Cambodia.
What copyrite?
I believe Rogue may still be operating today.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

He would do well on the admin team of the Kampot Notice board.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic