League table of foreign criminals in KoW

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Re: League table of foreign criminals in KoW

Post by prahocalypse now »

Hotdigr wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:21 pm I would also be interested to know what % of the crimes they commit are against themselves. Reading the news it seems to be Chinese V Chinese mainly.
I'd guess the number of Chinese criminals is boosted by all those VOIP arrests, where they typically arrest dozens of people. I think those VOIP scams are targeting other Chinamen.
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

Anchor Moy wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:25 pm
Hotdigr wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:21 pm
John Bingham wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:12 pm
That's a pretty good point. At the same time the general feeling expressed seemed to be that there were many mainlander Chinese here now and too many of them were running wild. That's an honest concern that locals and law enforcement are expressing. Hopefully they can reign it in and all will be well.
I agree mate. But a lot of it is perception. Are there more crimes committed by Chinese here right now? Undoubtedly. But as a % of visitors/expats here, not so much so. There are a lot more of them, so they are more visible. I would also be interested to know what % of the crimes they commit are against themselves. Reading the news it seems to be Chinese V Chinese mainly. A bit like the 1% biker gangs in the west - they don't usuually cause problems for clean skins unless you get yourself involved. Yet every Saturday paper is headlined with " Bandido's and Hells Angels etc, etc, etc"
Are you saying that you think Chinese criminality in Cambodia is ok if it only affects other Chinese ?
Not at all. Please don't put words into my mouth. Please read my comment carefully.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Anchor Moy wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:25 pm
Hotdigr wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:21 pm
John Bingham wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:12 pm
That's a pretty good point. At the same time the general feeling expressed seemed to be that there were many mainlander Chinese here now and too many of them were running wild. That's an honest concern that locals and law enforcement are expressing. Hopefully they can reign it in and all will be well.
I agree mate. But a lot of it is perception. Are there more crimes committed by Chinese here right now? Undoubtedly. But as a % of visitors/expats here, not so much so. There are a lot more of them, so they are more visible. I would also be interested to know what % of the crimes they commit are against themselves. Reading the news it seems to be Chinese V Chinese mainly. A bit like the 1% biker gangs in the west - they don't usually cause problems for clean skins unless you get yourself involved. Yet every Saturday paper is headlined with " Bandido's and Hells Angels etc, etc, etc"
Are you saying that you think Chinese criminality in Cambodia is ok if it only affects other Chinese ?
Also, I think perception is important - maybe more than the actual figures.
That's interesting. There have been Chinese communities in Ireland since the 50s at least, but in the early 2000s there was a sudden huge influx.The general perception remained the same, that if they were just Chinese vs Chinese and it didn't affect anyone else too much it was all fine. 8-)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

Are Nigerians disproportionately represented in the crime stats because they commit more crimes?

Or is it because they get arrested for things white people or Asians wouldn't get arrested for? Such as being a walking ironing board.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

@HD It was a question.
Because, in my opinion, the Chinese on Chinese criminal acts have created a perception among many Cambodians that Sihanoukville has become a lawless Chinese town. So, the perception is important.
This is only my personal experience, but earlier this year I was traveling around Cambodia, and every single time I said to a Cambodian that I lived in Kompong Som, they would say "Oh those bloody Chinese. They are taking over. So violent and dangerous. " I kid you not. Even from Cambodians of Chinese origin. Whatever the 'truth', IME there's a widespread perception among Cambodians that Chinese criminals are taking over, and even more concerning, that all Chinese are criminals.
sklmeera
Expatriate
Bhutan

Post by sklmeera »

So weed and prostitution are no longer legal activities in Cambodia ?
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

There’s certainly a lot of hysteria in the English and Cambodian media about “lawless Sihanouk” but in reality it’s not that bad.

Interestingly my western friends were dining in a beer garden in SNV a few weeks ago with mostly Chinese there and a group of locals came in scanned the floor and left. Two of them stayed and spoke to my friends and said they should “Pay the bill and leave quickly my friend”, which is what they did.
Then all hell broke loose as the original group joined them and attacked the Chinese sitting in a big group.

One of them got caught up on the melee (he needed the toilet) but was ushered out by two Chinese guys who then went back in plastic chairs in hand!
My friend said it was like children’s fight at an Ikea store with chairs, tables flying everywhere.

They were not sure why they were “spared” but one of the Cambodian girls with them said neither group had issues with barang which I thought was odd. She said the locals like barang and the Chinese are weary of them. Who knows.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

davegorman wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:49 pm it’s not that bad.

all hell broke loose

the original group joined them and attacked the Chinese

tables flying everywhere.

Yes. I am French.
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

Very good. You can quote.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

August 16, 2019
Police note decrease in foreigner crimes
Crimes involving foreigners in the Kingdom have dropped by nearly 4.6 percent in the second quarter of this year, according to a National Police report issued yesterday.

General Thong Lim, deputy chief of the National Police, yesterday said there were 84 criminal cases involving foreign nationals throughout April 20 until June 19 this year.

The figure shows a 4.54 percent decrease when compared to the same period last year, when there were 88 criminal cases involving foreign nationals.

“The National Police made 450 arrests, which consisted of 17 foreign nationals on 11 different offences,” he said. “The top perpetrators were Chinese nationals, followed by Vietnamese, Indians, South Koreans and Ukrainians.”

Gen Lim added that the highest number of foreigner crimes occurred in Preah Sihanouk and Svay Rieng provinces and in Phnom Penh.

Additionally, the report noted that 181 foreign nationals from 30 different countries were victims of a crime in the same period.

The number was recorded from a total of 161 cases, which was a decrease of 9.5 percent in the number of cases when compared to the same period last year, when 178 cases occurred that involved foreign victims.

It added that most foreign victims were Chinese nationals, followed by Vietnamese, French, English and US nationals.

Yong Kim Eng, People Centre for Development and Peace president, expressed uncertainty over the figures in the report.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50634330/p ... er-crimes/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic