Coming Soon ... Aquaponics

Provincial living: homesteading, farming, gardening, self-efficiency and animal husbandry.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Coming Soon ... Aquaponics

Post by beaker »

StroppyChops wrote:How do the fish cope with the husk residue in the water, any downsides? Does it need any prep (drying, etc) before it can be used as a medium? Would crushed coconut shell be better/worse?
I haven't used it in the states I used a commercial grow medium that was made of a clay balls about the size of moose turds.
What I would do with coconut husks is shred and chop it you need it so the roots can grow around and amongst them. Some people use gravel too.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

beaker wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:How do the fish cope with the husk residue in the water, any downsides? Does it need any prep (drying, etc) before it can be used as a medium? Would crushed coconut shell be better/worse?
I haven't used it in the states I used a commercial grow medium that was made of a clay balls about the size of moose turds.
What I would do with coconut husks is shred and chop it you need it so the roots can grow around and amongst them. Some people use gravel too.
Cheers - I used that substrate used for kitty litter (attapuglite? sp?) really successfully for vegetables on a channel table, and the clay balls for growing pot plants (indoor variety, not medicinal). I currently have orchids in coconut husk so I know plants will grow in it - just don't know about sap or residue from the husks vs. fish livestock. It would be an interesting experiment to find out, I guess - the catfish varieties would do okay, surely.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

StroppyChops wrote:
beaker wrote:
Cheers - I used that substrate used for kitty litter (attapuglite? sp?) really successfully for vegetables on a channel table, and the clay balls for growing pot plants (indoor variety, not medicinal). I currently have orchids in coconut husk so I know plants will grow in it - just don't know about sap or residue from the husks vs. fish livestock. It would be an interesting experiment to find out, I guess - the catfish varieties would do okay, surely.

There is suppose to be a guy here locally using it but I haven't been able to find him with the instructions given. Talapia are the fish I would like to try here also the Snakeheads which are available live at most khmer markets. I would think any of the fresh water species here since as I haven't seen much in the way of pristine waters here mostly muddy and dirty from run off. Not sure about cocanut husk sap maybe shredding and drying first
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

I don't have the room for it at the moment but planning to move into a bigger place in a few months and keen to give it a go. Please keep it coming if you get any further with this.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

I will, want to get some pictures too.
jimi hendrix
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Posted for the benefit of beaker. They usually have a aqua system with some plants growing in it, in front of the shop.

Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

Duncan wrote:Posted for the benefit of beaker. They usually have a aqua system with some plants growing in it, in front of the shop.

Thank you Duncan that's a big help. I was looking for a big size tank now I should be able to find it.
jimi hendrix
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

StroppyChops wrote:I don't have the room for it at the moment but planning to move into a bigger place in a few months and keen to give it a go. Please keep it coming if you get any further with this.
a lot of khmers have set ups like this and even much smaller with fish and plants. don't take up much room at all and no maintenance the fish feed the plants.
This one isn't very old

jimi hendrix
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

What sort of yield though? Is a small rig worth the effort?
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

StroppyChops wrote:What sort of yield though? Is a small rig worth the effort?
The fish are just small aquarium type not for eating, a variety of fantail some raise koi more of a hobby than anything and the plants are not edible that I know of but have nice flowers. It's just the concept and the local style.
jimi hendrix
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic