Moving to Cambodia from Thailand

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Moving to cambodia from Thailand

Post by Anchor Moy »

Beerinthemorning wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:27 am
frank lee bent wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:04 am
Its impossible for farang to work legal doing menial labour in thailand cut a thai can work menial labour in the west legally, go figure.
why would any thai male do "menial" / manual labor anywhere? what do you think the pinky fingernail means?
they don't do it- they leave that shit for non thai.
All SEA countries come here to OZ and take cash jobs.

Problem is they only hire there own.

Theres job vacancies here in perth advertising only indian staff or only mandarin speaking staff , or prefer vietnamese/thai.....

This is typical of asians, imagine i goto pattaya and hire all farang staff in my hotel ......
Noway in hell.

But they do it over here in perth on every damn street corner.......

Respect is a two way street, but not for asians
Enough of the bad-mouthing Asians. Can't you give it a rest BIM ? The OP wants to live in Cambodia, not Australia.
Alexandriaclark
Tourist
United States of America

Re: Moving to Cambodia from Thailand

Post by Alexandriaclark »

I didn’t have a work permit but all the bars are staffed with foreigners aside from the bar tenders except for the Swedish bad all the owners get a heads up before immigration shows up. Also everyone pays the local cops there off weekly
AdvisorExpertTravel
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by AdvisorExpertTravel »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:24 pm
AdvisorExpertTravel wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:22 pm
offroadscholar wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:23 am In SHV, Chinese are now taking small stalls in the main market selling vegetables etc. They are driving taxis and even Passapp tuk tuks. Nothing is off limits for them.
Are they doing this legally ?
Of course they're not! Guarantee none have WP's, and most probably don't even have a valid Visa EOS.

So Cambodia is still friendly to illegal visitors :-)
AdvisorExpertTravel
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Moving to Cambodia from Thailand

Post by AdvisorExpertTravel »

Alexandriaclark wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:04 pm I didn’t have a work permit but all the bars are staffed with foreigners aside from the bar tenders except for the Swedish bad all the owners get a heads up before immigration shows up. Also everyone pays the local cops there off weekly

Still you must believe in god to take a so useless risk...
Or maybe you already had no intention to stay forever in Thailand and didn't care to be deported (but do you know how jail before deportation from Thailand is ugly?)

Everybody I knew what used to get warned before cops where coming finally got caught, because one day they haven't been warned...
I could work illegally in Cambodia, but not in Thailand anymore in 2018...
CaptainNemo
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by CaptainNemo »

Beerinthemorning wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:54 am
offroadscholar wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:23 am
Beerinthemorning wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:44 pm Its impossible for farang to work legal doing menial labour in thailand cut a thai can work menial labour in the west legally, go figure....
This is a smart law the Thais have.
In SHV, Chinese are now taking small stalls in the main market selling vegetables etc. They are driving taxis and even Passapp tuk tuks. Nothing is off limits for them.
To the OP, I think the lifestyle advantages Cambodia once had over Thailand are mainly gone.
Spot on.

SEA is crap for work, trust me...

The earning capacity is dismal compared to the west.

Those lost taking up employment in koh rong and SR in unskilled labour for 0$-15$ a day need to go back and work in the west,
For the most part, yes, I would agree with you, living on a pittance in Asia is a bit pointless, but it's fine for an "experience"
In terms of normal jobs, there are exceptions.
You have to factor in the total cost of work and the total cost of living.
My current situation is far better in SEA than it was in the UK.

When I was in the Uk, I had to commute, work away for many weeks and spend months in an office, pay a mortgage, pay childcare, transport, tax, and then bills and basic shopping, and accommodation, whether mortgage, rent, or a mixture.
If you earn too much you are net loser, because you are hammered for tax and get no tax credits or anything apart from child benefit. In short, you're left with sweet FA. Everyone thinks you're loaded because of where you live, the car you drive, and the job you have, but really you're on the edge of a precipice.

Now, I work "remotely", my costs are negligible. I have a lot more time. I feel free.
It's possible to work part-time remotely, earning western money but spending it in SEAsia.
We can now invest in building a business that needn't be in SEAsia, but that can facilitate being here; this would be impossible if we were trapped in the west in so-called professional jobs with all the trappings of middle-class life.

There are careers in Asia where if you have proper qualifications and experience, you can definitely mint it, and not suffer the costs of living now afflicting the west.

In the UK the cost of living has more than doubled since New Labour came to power and opened the floodgates to millions of people that the country didn't need and couldn't accommodate, and it's pushed the price up of everything, and caused the collapse of businesses whose models couldn't absorb the dramatic increase in rent. The place is now high pressure and miserable, and people in working class areas look to escape free movement of people to try and undo the damage. I feel lucky to escape.

I get where you're coming from, working in most jobs like a local in SEAsia is rubbish, even if the costs are lower, but there are niche areas of expertise where this doesn't apply. In the end, being a dreadlocked backpacker working as a waiter on an island is unskilled labour and worthless. Cambodia definitely needs to protect its people from Chinese economic aggression. I hope that Cambodia gets more involved with the West, which will have more benign input into the country.
I'm not like other boys...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic