Sofa shopping advice?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Dangerous Dave
Expatriate
United States of America

Sofa shopping advice?

Post by Dangerous Dave »

I am moving to a bigger apartment and I need a sofa, which I'd like to find somewhere other than at the flashy showrooms on Monivong below Sihanouk. Basically I'm imagining a little district similar to Sotheros and Mao Tse Tung, but for upholstered furniture instead of wood? Any ideas will be apreciated.
violet
Expatriate

Re: Sofa shopping advice?

Post by violet »

FB for sale groups
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

A big fancy sofa can look good in your apartment, but I have found that they are not at all that practical here in a hot climate . If you have aircon on all day , maybe OK , but if not the vinyl makes you sweat when you sit on them. Only advantage is they are easy to clean. I myself prefer the typical cane ones with a covering like a blanket thrown over it. Makes them also easy to clean.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Along St.271 South of the Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hospital there are several shops that manufacture sofas and chairs, you can give them pictures/designs and choose your own fabrics, inexpensive.

Sofa Cambodia on 271, location 11.552190100602, 104.88789349794 , has some really nice couches, and can make to your design.

Phnom Penh Home Furniture has some decent, inexpensive sofas. Phone# 012923 266/ 087 888 622/ 070 666 124. Location 11°34'16.6"N 104°53'17.1"E

Ashley Furniture Homestore currently has a great promotion, buy a 3 + 2 Sofa set for $2128 and receive a bedroom suite package for free (1x bed, 1x dresser with mirror, 1x night stand). The furniture in this store is actually really good quality and similar design stuff like you'd find at home. Highly recommended.

Or, if your into rattan furniture, papsans and mamasans can be found on the corner of MTT and Norodom, or St.488 opposite Super Duper.

That's just a few places...get out and about, ask your tuk-tuk drivers...they know.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

As with anything you buy here check dimensions first to ensure it will be able to get into your house. some stairs and corners restrict what you can buy.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Arget wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:24 am As with anything you buy here check dimensions first to ensure it will be able to get into your house. some stairs and corners restrict what you can buy.
Very good advice!
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

I’ve found with furniture that it’s difficult to get furniture which looks nice and is comfortable unless you design it yourself and define how thick you want the cushions.

Loads of times I have collapsed into a comfy looking seat to discover that it is as hard as the road! TBH a comfy seat is one of the few things I miss from home.

Though as a poster says above, unless you are in an airconned place a soft, fabric sofa is going to be stinking in no time.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Sakura second hand shops
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

that genius wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:47 pm Sakura second hand shops
They sometimes have some great stuff, but way overpriced, and they hate to barter on the prices.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

When I want something particular from them, I give the closest store my number and a few bucks cover calls, and get them to ask other Sakura shops
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic