Do you use Trip Advisor? Read more

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Do you use Trip Advisor? Read more

Post by phuketrichard »

as with all online sites that "rate" accommodations, take it with a grain ( or bucket) of salt
It’s no secret that most travelers will eventually end up on TripAdvisor when planning their vacation. It has become the Google of the travel world, where people go for honest, unbiased reviews of hotels, restaurants, sights and activities by fellow travelers. Except the information on TripAdvisor is anything but honest and unbiased, and it’s only getting worse.

at least with airbnb, agoda, etc you need to have Actually stayed there to write a review.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Do you use Trip Advisor? Read more

Post by hanno »

Some truths but also a lot of BS.
Rutiger
Expatriate

Post by Rutiger »

It's well established that people are many times more likely to bother leaving reviews after bad experiences than good experiences, so comments are bound to skew negative. I've never motivated to leave a "reasonable, adequate experience" review. But yeah, way too easy to fake reviews. I'm more leary of exuberantly positive reviews.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Post by TheGrinchSR »

Lots of butthurt in this article. I am (and have been) a professional reviewer too, for the travel industry, for the software industry and for the music industry. My professional skills aside - anyone can review anything. If the user experience of any product or service doesn't make the immediate benefits clear, then it failed.

The reason that review aggregation works is that when you take a lot of people with no "industry expertise" and average their opinion - you get something approaching an accurate opinion. More so than with the opinion of an "expert" too. (Though in reality, there is no such fucking thing - hotels are a matter of personal preference and not subject to any objective criteria in their assessment whatsoever.)

Yes, people game TripAdvisor (though this has become much more expensive and a little bit harder to achieve than it once was) but any place with a large volume of reviews which offer a range of opinion (always suspect anything which is all 1 star or 5 star reviews - real life rarely works that way) will have a reasonably accurate assessment of whether it's worth your time.

If you want to be a professional reviewer nowadays... good luck with that. You'll be paid by the industry you work in (indirectly or directly) and that means lots of non-judgmental crap that fails to inform your readers of anything useful. The exceptions to this are the music industry (which doesn't pay well enough to buy off reviewers) and the restaurant review industry (because reviews of this nature are cheap to generate and there are lots of restaurants to choose from in most places - there's no weight to the restaurant's marketing budget).
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Here is someone asking business owners in Siem Reap to exchange reviews on Trip Adviser:

"I know a lot of people may not agree with this but would any business owners be open to a Trip Advisor swap? PM me if you are. Many people who have experience with them will understand the frustration in business's being held hostage to Trip Advisor. PM me if interested. Thanks :D"

The feedback she received was not great.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

That article got tl;dr when he started whining about the quality of reviews. I'm more likely to listen to hoi polloi's reviews than professional ones as they are more relevant to me. "Don't get a room at the back because there's a brothel next door" is something relevant and only a normal punter would make that type of comment. Those are the nuggets I look for - yeah, there's plenty of fake reviews and stuff but they're mostly obvious and as you are reading more than one review you ignore the outliers. Sometimes people have a bad experience but if loads of people had a bad experience and it's more than just - 1 star, no tomato sauce on table - it becomes informative.
Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

General Mackevili wrote:Here is someone asking business owners in Siem Reap to exchange reviews on Trip Adviser:

"I know a lot of people may not agree with this but would any business owners be open to a Trip Advisor swap? PM me if you are. Many people who have experience with them will understand the frustration in business's being held hostage to Trip Advisor. PM me if interested. Thanks :D"

The feedback she received was not great.
With a pic like that, there's surely some way she could get positive reviews :O: b :O: b :O: b :O: j :O:
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

"The long read "from the Guardian today:
How TripAdvisor changed travel
17 August 2018

TripAdvisor is to travel as Google is to search, as Amazon is to books, as Uber is to cabs – so dominant that it is almost a monopoly. Bad reviews can be devastating for business, so proprietors tend to think of them in rather violent terms.
“It is the marketing/PR equivalent of a drive-by shooting,” Edward Terry, the owner of a Lebanese restaurant in Weybridge, UK, wrote in 2015. Marketers call a cascade of online one-star ratings a “review bomb”.

Likewise, positive reviews can transform an establishment’s fortunes. Researchers studying Yelp, one of TripAdvisor’s main competitors, found that a one-star increase meant a 5-9% increase in revenue.
Before TripAdvisor, the customer was only nominally king. After, he became a veritable tyrant, with the power to make or break lives. In response, the hospitality industry has lawyered up, and it is not uncommon for businesses to threaten to sue customers who post negative reviews.

Full article: https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/a ... ged-travel
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
bvanfossen
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bvanfossen »

Pretty wild business are suing/ pressuring negative reviewers. Then again, in US anyhow, you can litigate over anything.
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Beerinthemorning »

bvanfossen wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:12 pm Pretty wild business are suing/ pressuring negative reviewers. Then again, in US anyhow, you can litigate over anything.
Its 2018 the concept of free speech has flown out the window.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic