How do you fix roads in Cambodia?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: How do you fix roads in Cambodia?

Post by phuketrichard »

Beerinthemorning wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:04 am I remember when SR was only dirt roads.
Hmm, they were paved when i was up there in 2004, u were still sucking ur mommies tits. :stir:

I will say, my road trip in 2016 thru much of the country, the roads were in much betters shape than this past trip july/august

I figure its using inferior asphalt, not mixing it right, not putting down a good base an to many overloaded trucks driving on it.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:48 am
Beerinthemorning wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:04 am I remember when SR was only dirt roads.
Hmm, they were paved when i was up there in 2004, u were still sucking ur mommies tits. :stir:

I will say, my road trip in 2016 thru much of the country, the roads were in much betters shape than this past trip july/august

I figure its using inferior asphalt, not mixing it right, not putting down a good base an to many overloaded trucks driving on it.
I find it strange that thousands of years ago the Romans knew how to build roads that lasted up to this present age. Somewhere along the line we seem to have lost this knowledge.

Come back Julius Caesar, all is forgiven.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

I figure its using inferior asphalt, not mixing it right, not putting down a good base
careful, you are tangling with the kid in a market sector where he has knowledge and experience.
i predict you come off 2nd best here
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Beerinthemorning »

They got to keep emselfs in work by laying it too thin.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

Duncan wrote:
phuketrichard wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:48 am

I find it strange that thousands of years ago the Romans knew how to build roads that lasted up to this present age. Somewhere along the line we seem to have lost this knowledge.

Come back Julius Caesar, all is forgiven.
I say it has to do with the materials used.

Using solid bricks of stone to pave a road vs a man made substance of multiple components that can be broken down again would have some impact on longevity.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

JC only had a few chariots zooming along his roads and people walking . He did not have overloaded trucks and 70 million cars on his roads.

In the towns and cities his cobble stoned roads have settled and they only have a limited amount of traffic.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Given soil conditions here, I believe concrete is the only real viable option for decent roads.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Arget wrote:JC only had a few chariots zooming along his roads and people walking . He did not have overloaded trucks and 70 million cars on his roads.

In the towns and cities his cobble stoned roads have settled and they only have a limited amount of traffic.
Even the roads in Rome got bad enough that only licensed small chariots were allowed. Even with that, deep ruts can be seen in the roads from chariots repeatedly going over the same stone road slabs.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Barang chgout wrote:Given soil conditions here, I believe concrete is the only real viable option for decent roads.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk
Driving over concrete isn’t pleasant. Asphalt makes for a smooth ride.

Of course a jarring, bone crunching ride would keep the speed down.

Most places in the west use a concrete, rebar reinforced base then lay down the asphalt. Any reason the KOW doesn’t build this way?
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

^

That is how most national routes have been done over the past number of years.

Secondary roads are just no base, gravel and then asphalt and need extensive repair each rainy season.

Slowly it's getting better.

This snowflake in Siam Reap will fix it all though. Just you see :stir:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic