Cambodian scouring pad

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Cambodian scouring pad

Post by Username Taken »

taabarang wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:39 pm
Username Taken wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:10 pm Enlightening discussion. However you spell ACH or UJ, I just go for a very simple UT.
My system works unfortunately primarily for me. This is probably my last post on rural Khmer language usage. There is no one accepted system of transliteration and I have no "f" ing desire to learn the Khmer system. Plus with the exception of Father J, there really isn't that much interest.
Are you drunk already, or what? No need to grumble. I was trying to make a joke about being referred to as UT.

Get over it. :facepalm:
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Username Taken wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:54 pm
Username Taken wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:10 pm Enlightening discussion. However you spell ACH or UJ, I just go for a very simple UT.
My system works unfortunately primarily for me. This is probably my last post on rural Khmer language usage. There is no one accepted system of transliteration and I have no "f" ing desire to learn the Khmer system. Plus with the exception of Father J, there really isn't that much interest.
Are you drunk already, or what? No need to grumble. I was trying to make a joke about being referred to as UT.

UT I did indeed get it. The only thiing that is over is my Khmer language contributions. And no I'm not drunk. Respects bro.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

taabarang wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:02 pm
Username Taken wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:54 pm

UT I did indeed get it. The only thiing that is over is my Khmer language contributions. And no I'm not drunk. Respects bro.
PS this is the KofW; plenty of reason to grumble.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

violet wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:35 pm Is it shit or waste, or is there no difference?
kinda both, its a word that by its self means shit/feces,
but its often added to many other words to describe a kind of waste product, whether it be earwax, the gunk you get in the corner of your eye, snot, the dirt under your nails, leftover food stuck between your teeth, belly button fluff etc...

it is also used as mentioned for mechanical waste products like sawdust, file chippings, chisel chippings, drill dust, certain textile wastes etc...

it is also used in the words for freckles/birthmark/moles, meteorites and some plants
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

taabarang wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:42 pm I haven't posted Khmer vocab items here in a long time, but recently stumblefd across one I found somewhat interesting. I recently went to a local mom and pop store(hang chap houii) to buy a metal scouring pad for cleaning pots and pans.

I asked for a prodap dos chhang and was handed it along with a few other odds and ends( kompek kompok) I also ordered. When I inquired about the price of the scouring pad alone, I was told "ACH deik.muey pam roi riels". The new local word I learned was " Ach deik" literally shit + metal. Works for me.
ទាក - Deak/Deik actually means to trap/catch/entangle,
so the Ach Deik metal scouring pad literally means to trap/catch/entangle the shit :D :D

PS. I love your language posts, please dont let it be your last :cry:
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

There is a word 'ដែក,' I would write as 'daek'or 'daik,' which means steel or iron.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

explorer wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:36 am There is a word 'ដែក,' I would write as 'daek'or 'daik,' which means steel or iron.
ahh you are quite right mate, that will be the word Taa meant then :thumb:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic