Nyam nyam. It's tarantula season in Cambodia.

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Nyam nyam. It's tarantula season in Cambodia.

Post by AndyKK »

Has I have mentioned in the past I had tried the tarantula. And to say the Khmer don't eat them is simply not true. At Scun they are on view in there hundreds, I would not think they would do this for passing by western trade. Only the other day we where enjoying them, bought by Khmer.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Another victim of illegal logging:

Tarantulas: Cambodia's disappearing delicacy
15 August 2018
Eating a fried tarantula has become a popular photo opportunity for tourists in Cambodia. However, this delicacy is in danger of disappearing, thanks to deforestation and over-harvesting of the spiders.

The moment you arrive at the market square in Skuon, you see the tarantula vendors. Most are young girls, who think making tourists shiver by putting whole spiders in their mouths is tremendous fun.

"Spider, sir? One for 2,000 riels!"

That's about 50 cents (42 euro cents) for what is considered a delicacy in Cambodia, and particularly in Skuon, a town on the road to Cambodia's Kampong Cham province that has earned the nickname "Spiderville."

But supplies of this traditional snack are running low.

Cashew and rubber plantations are fast replacing Cambodia's forests, which are also under threat from a massive illegal timber industry. Since the beginning of the 1990s, the county has lost 20 percent of its forest — which is where the tarantulas live.
https://www.dw.com/en/tarantulas-cambod ... a-44599253
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

AndyKK wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:43 pm Has I have mentioned in the past I had tried the tarantula. And to say the Khmer don't eat them is simply not true. At Scun they are on view in there hundreds, I would not think they would do this for passing by western trade. Only the other day we where enjoying them, bought by Khmer.
I didn't mean that locals don't eat them, just that eating them is not as common as it might seem from these articles. I was in Skuon last month and they have a couple of pretty good giant metal sculptures of tarantulas outside one of the restaurants.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Tarantula Sculpture at Skuon.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

If the arachnid delicacies don't. turn your stomach the half inch of oil at the bottom of the tray they're carried in probably will.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Posted on social media today.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

The one in the blue top is cute. :bigeyes:
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Far more black widows in cambodia than tarantulas...
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Tarantula doughnuts ??? Really ?

Tarantula Doughnut Tapas Are The Height Of Elegance In Cambodia**
By Nick Johnson|Dec. 9, 2022 2:21 pm EST
When it's time to decide what you're going to have for your evening meal, you might ultimately settle on a heaping plate of spaghetti and meatballs, some delicious, nutritious grilled chicken and veggies, or a towering stack of breakfast-for-dinner pancakes. But have you ever considered including insects in your dinner plans?

The idea of including insects in haute cuisine might be surprising to some. However, it should be noted that insects are eaten by around two billion people worldwide, as National Geographic explains. Some have suggested that crickets are the future, as they are an excellent protein source whose production is environmentally sustainable.

Nevertheless, many of us would balk to see a tarantula near our oven, let alone in it. However, if you ever find yourself in Siem Reap, Cambodia, there's a restaurant that can craft you an eight-legged entrée so delicious it'll make you think twice about the entire practice of eating insects, per The Jakarta Post.

Travel writer David Leiter tells us that the Bugs Cafe was founded by a French expatriate and a local Cambodian chef, and that it features an impressive menu of insect tapas, like feta and tarantula samosas, as well as a Bug Mac, which is exactly what it sounds like (via The World Travel Guy). However, it is undoubtedly the tarantula tempura that is the star of the show at the Bugs Cafe. David Blouzard, the restaurant's French founder, told Entomology Today that it's his favorite item on the menu, and that its taste is reminiscent of soft-shell crab.

According to the Insider Food Youtube channel, the first step in preparing this arachnid appetizer is to thoroughly wash the spiders, which strips them of the toxins on their exterior. Then, it's just a matter of breading the bug and frying it in a pot full of hot oil.

The World Travel Guy tried the tarantula tempura donuts, which he said were served with a trio of sauces – sweet chili, mango chutney, and homemade mayo. He felt that the breading covered up the flavor of the tarantula, resulting in a unique and ultimately enjoyable flavor.
Read More: https://www.thedailymeal.com/1132701/ta ... paign=clip

** Sorry to say that Bugs Cafe in Siem Reap closed down during the Covid period, in 2020. This 2022 article was based on a piece from The Jakarta Post published in 2019.
https://www.facebook.com/bugscafesr

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

I like the idea of eating any bugs if they taste nice. Put pricewise its a complete ripoff at the moment. They are just cashing in the new trend. It sould be at the bottom end of foods as there are plenty available and breeding them is easy.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic