Olive Olive - SHV

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Re: Olive Olive - SHV

Post by wackyjacky »

OrangeDragon wrote:My favorite pizza in town is still pizziana on ekereach. not sure why, it's fast food style pizza, but it just hits that spot for me.

pineapple and chili, with double cheese.
Really ? OD, you should ban yourself from the pizza discussion. That is to pizza, what Taco Bell is to Mexican food. Marco Polo makes a decent pizza, but the crust is too thin IMO. Some people prefer this style, but this type and quality are easy to find in SEA. Pizza dough gets more complex and chewy the older the mother dough is. Often it will get air bubbles in it. Crispy yet chewy is what you're looking for. O & O comes closer to this than anyplace else in SV I think. 4 of us ate there last night and everything was good. Antipasto plate, pizza, pasta alla carchofe, & a putanesca, everybody happy. It looked like it was cheaper to buy wine by the glass than bottle, as the pours were excellent.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

In my opinion Pizziana pizza is just above the usual Snooky poor excuse for a pizza. Its not something I recommend, but ok in an emergency. That said, I love their fried chicken and I believe they make the best double beef cheese burger in Snooky. It doesn't hurt also that they seem to hire nothing but young cuties to watch while you wait. As said, thumbs up on Olive & Olive, thumbs down on the other pizza places nearby.
Tim Linkinwater
Expatriate

Post by Tim Linkinwater »

They got any good Mexicans down there in Sihanoukville, Sailorman?

Very partial to a well-filled taco myself.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

i did point out it was fast food pizza didn't i? reminds me of dominoes/pizza hut/etc... which triggers childhood memories and so on. sometimes i like to eat crap food. i can't wait to have some taco bell when i get back to the US.
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

OrangeDragon wrote:i did point out it was fast food pizza didn't i? reminds me of dominoes/pizza hut/etc... which triggers childhood memories and so on. sometimes i like to eat crap food. i can't wait to have some taco bell when i get back to the US.
Yes you did call it fast food pizza. I'll give you that. Liking Taco Bell makes me think you should ban yourself from Mexican food threads as well though :)
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

I can't wait till the day they open a Taco Bell in Mexico...
0to60
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by 0to60 »

Now that's funny
OrangeDragon wrote:I can't wait till the day they open a Taco Bell in Mexico...
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

OrangeDragon wrote:I can't wait till the day they open a Taco Bell in Mexico...
"Taco Bell has attempted to enter the Mexican market twice. After a highly publicised launch in Mexico City in 1992, all the restaurants were closed two years later. In September 2007, Taco Bell returned to Monterrey, projecting an American image with an Americanized menu that included french fries, but it closed in January 2010 due to low patronage.[57][58][59]"******* Wow, Wikipedia spelled "publicized wrong !
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

To my knowledge there is only one place in Snooky that makes Mexican food that is passable. Its "Maybe Later" on the right going downhill before you get to the downtown beach. Remember, your in Cambodia so lots of ingredients for Mexican cooking are hard to find or non-extent.

I travel to Singapore to get my Mexican food ingredients and beer making supplies. Belmonte Latin Foods is on the internet and I believe he will ship (he takes Visa/payapal.) I get my Masa, chili powders, mole makings, Carne Asada spices, Cuitacoche, canned/dried peppers, and last but not least the secret to Mexican cooking Lard. I also bought a tortilla press from him.

BTW/ In the early 70's, in my misspent youth, I ran the kitchen in the biggest/most popular Mexican restaurant in the Pacific Northwest of America. (I miss the food, but not the 14 hour work days.)

I couldn't believe it, I was in Samadera's store and found Goya Flan mix. What a find. I also sent to America and had Goya ham base sent over as its very hard to make "red-eye" ham gravy without it. Mrs. S seems to be getting a few more Mexican items in also. Now if she would just sell corn tortillas I'd be in heaven as I'm lazy and only make my own about once a week.
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pizzalover »

i started a thread about decent food and somehow you guys got to tacohell......

By the way, the restaurant had for some time a visiting baker/cook from Turkey who trained the local staff to make lahmacun (some people call it Turkish pizza). I had Turkish friend visiting and he starting wandering off alone to Olive Olive as I fellow a strict 1 pizza per week policy. That guy ate his way through the menu. The lahmacun is supposedly better than what you usually can get in Turkey now.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic