Best Coffee

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Best Coffee

Post by taabarang »

:asshole:
Username Taken wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:38 pm
Duncan wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:32 pm I sat down at a small side stall and had the best hot coffee I have ever had. And only cost 2.5 mr
I much prefer the coffee at dirty little viet style coffee shops in a small glass with sweet milk to the fancy coffee shops with expensive coffee making machines.
Agreed, there is one bugaboo however. While waiting for the coffee to filiter down from the metal container to the glass underneath, you could have your next birthday. Just too damn slow. At home I use Mondulkiri or Ratanakiri ground coffee and pour boiling water through a cloth Cambodian filter (katrang cafe).
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

This is an I tersting thread and may I ask

1. Is Cambodia a coffee seed producer like Vietnam and Thailand?

2. If it is, are there any famous Cambodian coffee plantation or famous coffee seeds being grown here?

3. Are Cambodians coffee drinking people or tea? Are thy crazy like Vietnamnese?

I asked the above as I’d love to try out any Cambodian styled or home grown coffee in my next trip here.

Pardon my side tracking a little. Coming from Thailand I can say Thais love coffee too and this market is growing however they are not crazy like Vietnamnese on this. Thais prefer cold coffee with mile sometime there’s so much mike (condensed sweet milk mixed with coffeemate powdered milk) that I wonder if they are drinking sugar and milk or coffee. I like my coffee black and no sugar and preferably brewed in the traditional way like this

Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

taabarang wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:52 am :asshole:
Username Taken wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:38 pm
Duncan wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:32 pm I sat down at a small side stall and had the best hot coffee I have ever had. And only cost 2.5 mr
I much prefer the coffee at dirty little viet style coffee shops in a small glass with sweet milk to the fancy coffee shops with expensive coffee making machines.
Agreed, there is one bugaboo however. While waiting for the coffee to filiter down from the metal container to the glass underneath, you could have your next birthday. Just too damn slow. At home I use Mondulkiri or Ratanakiri ground coffee and pour boiling water through a cloth Cambodian filter (katrang cafe).
I use one of these.

taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

The above pictured implement is a katrang cafe. As far as I know only Robusta is grown in Cambodia, not Arabica.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
GUS
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by GUS »

taabarang wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:04 am The above pictured implement is a katrang cafe. As far as I know only Robusta is grown in Cambodia, not Arabica.
I have heard them (the coffee socks) refered to as 'gafea kranut' which would translate to coffee fabric.
I have heard rumours of Arabica plants up north but not old enough to produce yet. My guess is they would have to be Catimor which is a Cattura x Timor (robusta) hybrid varietal as it would grow at low altitudes as are present in Cambodia.
Nearly all of the coffee grown in Cambodia is processed across the border in Vietnam and farmers have told me that they believe that what they are sent back is a mix of whatever has been processed so it is very difficult to buy from specific farms and even to ensure what you purchase is in fact Cambodian. I have bought farm direct from Memot as it is further from the border but the quality was very poor for the price.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

yong wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:51 am This is an I tersting thread and may I ask

1. Is Cambodia a coffee seed producer like Vietnam and Thailand?

2. If it is, are there any famous Cambodian coffee plantation or famous coffee seeds being grown here?

3. Are Cambodians coffee drinking people or tea? Are thy crazy like Vietnamnese?

I asked the above as I’d love to try out any Cambodian styled or home grown coffee in my next trip here.

Pardon my side tracking a little. Coming from Thailand I can say Thais love coffee too and this market is growing however they are not crazy like Vietnamnese on this. Thais prefer cold coffee with mile sometime there’s so much mike (condensed sweet milk mixed with coffeemate powdered milk) that I wonder if they are drinking sugar and milk or coffee. I like my coffee black and no sugar and preferably brewed in the traditional way like this

:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

I rarely drink coffee, but when I do, I like rumble fish from espresso in kampot. My work has it in each office
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:25 pm

Wow thanks
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

Best Thai coffee

Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I like mine with fresh milk.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic