nominee structure apartment purchase

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
kausmo
Tourist
United States of America

Re: nominee structure apartment purchase

Post by kausmo »

One real estate agent mentioned the Canatrust option. I'm getting info on it soon. It seems to be a nominee structure but held by Canadia bank, not the actual property owner (s). Perhaps more secure? Although I can see how they just want to create another financial mechanism to take your dough...lol There is a fee and a property management option too I guess.
kausmo
Tourist
United States of America

Post by kausmo »

This is not a ground floor into nor is it in a strata titled property.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

kausmo wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:00 pm This is not a ground floor into nor is it in a strata titled property.
Be aware then that you cannot obtain a Hard-title for it, as Hard-titles are only issued for land, not structures. In the past dodgy hard-titles were issued for apartments, or soft-titles were issued in Foreigners names, but there has been a massive crack down in the past couple years on these practises. Whoever owns the ground floor, owns the land, and is the only person entitled to hard-title. Apartments above ground-level are issued soft-title only (and only in Cambodian Citizens name).

I do recall reading something a while back regarding the Canadia Bank and property purchases for foreigners. I'm sure you will, but just make sure you conduct thorough due-dilligence and do seek professional advice...and good luck.
Last edited by PSD-Kiwi on Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

offroadscholar wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:36 pm The new condo buildings can have Strata Titles that foreigners can have in their own name
Yep, eligible condos = Strata-title, the OP has confirmed it is not a condo he is enquiring about.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:10 pm
kausmo wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:00 pm This is not a ground floor into nor is it in a strata titled property.
Be aware then that you cannot obtain a Hard-title for it, as Hard-titles are only issued for land, not structures. In the past dodgy hard-titles were issued for apartments, or soft-titles were issued in Foreigners names, but there has been a massive crack down in the past couple years on these practises. Whoever owns the ground floor, owns the land, and is the only person entitled to hard-title. Apartments above ground-level are issued soft-title only (and only in Cambodian Citizens name).

I do recall reading something a while back regarding the Canadia Bank and property purchases for foreigners. I'm sure you will, but just make sure you conduct thorough due-dilligence and do seek professional advice...and good luck.

as Hard-titles are only issued for land, not structures.

I think you should clarify that.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

@ Duncan...what do you want clarified...I thought that was pretty clear.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:20 pm @ Duncan...what do you want clarified...I thought that was pretty clear.
Well I know for a fact that hard titles are or have been issued for apartments above ground level, E1 , E2 or more, as I have seen / bought / and owned them.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Jack.R.
Expatriate

Post by Jack.R. »

Just as side note,
New condominium constructions often allows foreign ownership of ground floor retail units.
This is because the first underground floor is usually registered as the ground floor which you can see barely peaking out of the floor with some narrow Windows on several new buildings on diamond island.
This makes the ground floor retail units legally first floor units thus elegible for strata titles.
Jack.R.
Expatriate

Post by Jack.R. »

Duncan wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:29 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:20 pm @ Duncan...what do you want clarified...I thought that was pretty clear.
Well I know for a fact that hard titles are or have been issued for apartments above ground level, E1 , E2 or more, as I have seen / bought / and owned them.
New apartments get strata titles, old ones soft titles at commune level (just a common paper with fingerprints and a few stamps) or sangkat level (which now looks somewhat similar to an hard title as it is made on hard official looking paper ) .
Hard titles are issued for land, some people might have had hard titles issued for apartment units in the past but I think it's very uncommon and nowadays impossible.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Duncan wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:29 pm
Yes, as I mentioned, in the past they used to...I have also bought apartments with Hard-Title...however the MLMUPC has been cracking down on this practice, as I also mentioned. By law, hard-titles only apply to the land...not the structure.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic