Englishman MARK SMITH (Golden Bridge International School Vice Principal) Arrested in Cambodia for Child Sex Crimes

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Re: Englishman MARK SMITH (Golden Bridge International School Vice Principal) Arrested in Cambodia for Child Sex Crimes

Post by Cam Nivag »

fax wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:45 pm

It’s usually handed to him by the court. If you go to jail in Cambodia there will be a paper.

Mark, post the paper.
Mark's playing dumb. "There are no papers, no one told me anything, I don't know what happened, I don't know why I was arrested or what the outcome of the case was or how I got out of jail."
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Re: Englishman MARK SMITH (Golden Bridge International School Vice Principal) Arrested in Cambodia for Child Sex Crimes

Post by that genius »

Cam Nivag et al: serious suggestion: contact Viriya MC and ask her to give us her version.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Cam Nivag wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:57 pm
fax wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:45 pm

It’s usually handed to him by the court. If you go to jail in Cambodia there will be a paper.

Mark, post the paper.
Mark's playing dumb. "There are no papers, no one told me anything, I don't know what happened, I don't know why I was arrested or what the outcome of the case was or how I got out of jail."
That’s fine, but it discredits his defense that it would be a CPP plot. There’s no credibility going from not knowing to knowing for certain.

He can play dumb all he wants. If he wants people to believe him he’s going to need something better than “I don’t know”.
takeoman
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by takeoman »

Brody wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:08 pm
takeoman wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:48 pm Gavin Mac
Who?
Google is your friend. :hattip:
The most boring man in the World. Ever!
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

that genius wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:13 pm In the unlikely event that the CPP even cared about some 2-bit school I'm pretty sure there would be numerous ways to close it down without resorting to some Machiavellian plot that traumatised a Khmer child...and one thing that a few people are forgetting...the school is still open.

He was arrested, detained, found guilty and sentenced. To blame APLE for any involvement is a pathetic attempt to whitewash this guy.
I've gotta agree with tg.

IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Brody wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:52 pm
that genius wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:13 pm In the unlikely event that the CPP even cared about some 2-bit school I'm pretty sure there would be numerous ways to close it down without resorting to some Machiavellian plot that traumatised a Khmer child...and one thing that a few people are forgetting...the school is still open.

He was arrested, detained, found guilty and sentenced. To blame APLE for any involvement is a pathetic attempt to whitewash this guy.
I've gotta agree with tg.

I agree with Brody and William of Ockham
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

sousadeyy wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:59 am
Cam Nivag wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:57 am
sousadeyy wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:28 am So Mark is back in England with his two kids. Cleared of all charges.

What does that say about Aple who were so quick to boast about how they helped catch and convict a paedophile and happily shared news articles left right and centre.

Scumbags.
Why would you say he was "cleared of all charges"? He was sentenced. A sentence generally follows a finding of guilt, via a trial or a plea of guilty. He was sentenced to two years in prison and ordered to pay a fine. The court suspended the two year sentence.

In short, he got a light sentence for sexually abusing a child in a corrupt country with lax law enforcement known to be a haven for Western pedophiles. He wasn't "cleared of all charges" by any stretch of the imagination.
Wrong, that was what was falsely reported in the media.

Mark Smith has a new profile photo on his Facebook page.

It appears that everyone, including Mark Smith, agrees that he was convicted of sexually assaulting a child. Only sousadeyy claims that this was false reporting by the media and that he was "cleared of all charges."
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Cam Nivag wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:51 pm
sousadeyy wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:59 am
Cam Nivag wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:57 am
sousadeyy wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:28 am So Mark is back in England with his two kids. Cleared of all charges.

What does that say about Aple who were so quick to boast about how they helped catch and convict a paedophile and happily shared news articles left right and centre.

Scumbags.
Why would you say he was "cleared of all charges"? He was sentenced. A sentence generally follows a finding of guilt, via a trial or a plea of guilty. He was sentenced to two years in prison and ordered to pay a fine. The court suspended the two year sentence.

In short, he got a light sentence for sexually abusing a child in a corrupt country with lax law enforcement known to be a haven for Western pedophiles. He wasn't "cleared of all charges" by any stretch of the imagination.
Wrong, that was what was falsely reported in the media.

Mark Smith has a new profile photo on his Facebook page.

It appears that everyone, including Mark Smith, agrees that he was convicted of sexually assaulting a child. Only sousadeyy claims that this was false reporting by the media and that he was "cleared of all charges."
He's not doing a very good job of sweeping this under the rug.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

^

His name has been in all the English and British tabloids. He is "Pedo guy", for as long as he lives now.

I doubt there's any way to sweep it under the rug.
If he's actually innocent, that's terrible.

If he is a pedo, that's great, as it means he will be scrutinized and caught when he offends again.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:59 am He is "Pedo guy", for as long as he lives now.
It's 2018, here he's pedo guy until the English departments legally change his name and he resumes his teaching career in a climate where nobody knows who "Mr. Smith in Cambodia" is. Chances are that even in Cambodia he would go incognito with a new name in a year or five, whenever the big flush of Whitey occurs.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic