Prices for learning Khmer.

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
whiteribbon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by whiteribbon »

Ok, I know it's long overdue but I finally picked up the courage to start learning Khmer. I found a local teacher here in Kep. Started this week at the price of $5 an hour for personal lessons at my home. I thought this was ok, can do it cheaper if in group, that would be $4 an hour, but since I'm not so good with languages thought it would be better to do it on a 1 to 1 base. Is this a normal price? What do you pay?
just noise, white noise
jah steu
Expatriate
Australia

Post by jah steu »

whiteribbon wrote:Ok, I know it's long overdue but I finally picked up the courage to start learning Khmer. I found a local teacher here in Kep. Started this week at the price of $5 an hour for personal lessons at my home. I thought this was ok, can do it cheaper if in group, that would be $4 an hour, but since I'm not so good with languages thought it would be better to do it on a 1 to 1 base. Is this a normal price? What do you pay?
That sounds normal. But you get what you pay for. $5 an hour often buys you a teacher who knows fairly basic English and will struggle to understand when you ask them to give you the different words for hear/listen or look/see, for example.
I paid $12 an hour which was for one or two students, but I chose solo lessons. Yes it was expensive but I got proper lesson plans and homework and a teacher fluent in English.
I did about thirty lessons. Twice a week for an hour each lesson. I had a khmer girlfriend who spoke very little English so that forced me to speak khmer every day.
It’s a simple language grammatically but accurate pronunciation is very important and there are some strange semi-silent sounds to learn!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from embedded sub-cutaneous iPhone 9 using Tapatalk.
BangkokStick
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Prices for learning Khmer.

Post by BangkokStick »

Hello, I am also interested to find a teacher, where did you find her for $5 ? I wouldn't mind to pay more, but my idea is that learning 3 hours everyday with a teacher is better than paying $10+ for 1 hour sometimes. I don't know if it will help, but I already speak Thai almost fluently.
whiteribbon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by whiteribbon »

BangkokStick wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:35 pm Hello, I am also interested to find a teacher, where did you find her for $5 ? I wouldn't mind to pay more, but my idea is that learning 3 hours everyday with a teacher is better than paying $10+ for 1 hour sometimes. I don't know if it will help, but I already speak Thai almost fluently.
Ha I found Him (not her) on an expat forum where he was advertising. But he only does Kep and Kampot.
just noise, white noise
bvanfossen
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bvanfossen »

jah steu wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:40 pm
whiteribbon wrote:Ok, I know it's long overdue but I finally picked up the courage to start learning Khmer. I found a local teacher here in Kep. Started this week at the price of $5 an hour for personal lessons at my home. I thought this was ok, can do it cheaper if in group, that would be $4 an hour, but since I'm not so good with languages thought it would be better to do it on a 1 to 1 base. Is this a normal price? What do you pay?
That sounds normal. But you get what you pay for. $5 an hour often buys you a teacher who knows fairly basic English and will struggle to understand when you ask them to give you the different words for hear/listen or look/see, for example.
I paid $12 an hour which was for one or two students, but I chose solo lessons. Yes it was expensive but I got proper lesson plans and homework and a teacher fluent in English.
I did about thirty lessons. Twice a week for an hour each lesson. I had a khmer girlfriend who spoke very little English so that forced me to speak khmer every day.
It’s a simple language grammatically but accurate pronunciation is very important and there are some strange semi-silent sounds to learn!

If the teacher is in PP I'd like to hire him/her if possible
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

jah steu wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:40 pm

not true really, i enrolled at Don Bosco School in Sihanoukville, paid $70 per month for private 1 on 1 with one of their head teachers, was having 3x 1-1.5 hour lessons a week, which works out at $5.80 per lesson, couldnt of had a better teacher tbh, was very strict with pronunciation and really gave me an ear for the Khmer language,
i know its not PP but gives you an idea of what prices/value there is around if you look in the right places
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
bvanfossen
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bvanfossen »

How can I locate one of these private teachers/tutors guys?
mudmax
Tourist
Belarus

Post by mudmax »

A friend of mine in Sihanoukville told me he was paying $100 a month for a khmer lady to teach him 5 days a week for 1 hr. So $5 per 1 hr lesson for private tutor
whiteribbon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by whiteribbon »

bvanfossen wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:11 pm How can I locate one of these private teachers/tutors guys?
If you follow the expat groups on facebook you'll see them advertise their from time to time
just noise, white noise
bvanfossen
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bvanfossen »

whiteribbon wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:42 pm
bvanfossen wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:11 pm How can I locate one of these private teachers/tutors guys?
If you follow the expat groups on facebook you'll see them advertise their from time to time
I will do that now, ty
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic