Foreigner and Cambodian Have a Bust Up after Motorbike Prang

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Foreigner and Cambodian Have a Bust Up after Motorbike Prang

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Phnom Penh, Cambodia News: On August 06, 2018, at 09:46 pm, a minor prang between two motorbikes turned into a fight between a foreigner and a Cambodian on Preah Norodom Boulevard/ street 214, Khan Don Penh, Phnom Penh.

Before the incident, one of the motorbikes was being driven by the foreigner with his Cambodian wife from south to north on Preah Norodom road. At the traffic light, a Cambodian man on a motorbike hit the foreign man's bike, but there was no damage.

However, the two parties started to argue, and the Cambodian man kicked the foreigner's wife, so then the foreign man attacked the Cambodian man, causing him slight injuries.In the end, to settle the dispute, the foreigner's wife agreed to pay $100 compensation to the injured party.

Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Foreigner and Cambodian Have a Bust Up after Motorbike Prang

Post by Jerry Atrick »

I'm a peaceful fellow, but if some fat head kid rode into me at a traffic light and kicked my wife, he'd look worse than that and not collect $100 :dragonchase:
Mr Cynical
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by Mr Cynical »

For once no Cynism,
I am in the process of winding up my various business interests in Siam Reap. For many years I have tried to understand /accept the Khmer culture but it has become increasingly difficult to accept their bullshit,
A prime example is this report if it is true, a local hits a moto driven by a foreigner, as we all know the local will jump up and down hoping to bring in a crowd and agree that he (the local) is the one in the right. Put into the mix the westerner has a local wife who as we all know is looked down upon because she is with a foreigner. End result the idiot local gets a payout.
Defend it as you will, my biggest regret is that my leaving will have an negative effect on my employees. Shame on me I am sure a few will say, but for the years I have given employment with good salaries conditions to many Khmers, who the majority were fantastic.
For the many of you who have no choice but to remain I wish you luck.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

This reminds me of the time I had a little “spill” on the riverside a few years ago. We were heading south and I had just missed the place we were looking for so pulled over and just as I was doing a Uturn some freshy boy zooms in, breaks a bit too hard and slides into us. There was minimal damage of just a few minor scratches on both bikes.
Anyway as the usual crowd of reprobates was gathering my wife got both bikes moved to the riverside of the road and her and Freshy boy both got on the phone. In 10 minutes we had a police captain with his side kick turn up and Mr Freshy boy had his girlfriend arrive. She immediately get in my wife’s face showing her this business card for some bong thom while she is trying to call him. My wife and I are waiting patiently while her calls are going unanswered but after 15 minutes of this I get bored and begin to question how long this will go on for.
I sense the girl speaks a little English so I tell her maybe her “friend”is busy... maybe he go KTV? .... then I ask if that where she meet him?
She goes bright red and almost explodes at this.. both my wife and the police captain tell me to “not speak” lol

My wife, by this time, is also getting bored and she tells our man to take both bikes to the “office” and hands him our keys. At this point Freshy boy and his Mrs do an instant flip and start back peddling.
Up shot was I have him $10 and told him to buy something for his girlfriend and we all went our separate ways.
The next day, however, her brother (the guy who sent the captain down) wasn’t very happy as I had paid the guy $10. I explained to him that I was cool with giving him a little bit as it had been my fault a little bit more than his. He was ok once he found I had given the money voluntarily.

Moral of the story... make sure you have “someone to call”!
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

To kick the foreigner's wife is unthinkable (houa cit). He's very, very lucky her husband isn't Khmer.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:38 pm I'm a peaceful fellow, but if some fat head kid rode into me at a traffic light and kicked my wife, he'd look worse than that and not collect $100 :dragonchase:
I feel the same...but remain mindful of where you are and the fact while you may get a few licks in...

...you will more likely than not, be set upon my 90% of the Khmer males in the immediate vicinity who would love nothing more than to get a few boot stomps in on a foreigner.

Don't think they wouldn't try another swipe at the wife as well...if you readily accept those potentialities...swing away.

Remember that twitchy ginger out front Pontoon with his 'lady'. Granted, that was early morning and everyone involved was sauced to the gills.

BTW...no pics of the foreigner? Was he a Westerner? The photogs love getting pics of frothing white men gesticulating wildly. Maybe he's a CEO member and one of his greatest fears, other than death, is having his pic posted here, so he beat-feet posthaste.
finbar
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by finbar »

Mr Cynical wrote:For the many of you who have no choice but to remain I wish you luck.
The boy stood on the burning deck,
Whence all but he had fled;
The flame that lit the battle’s wreck,
Shone round him o’er the dead.

Yet beautiful and bright he stood,
As born to rule the storm;
A creature of heroic blood,
A proud, though childlike form.

The flames rolled on – he would not go,
... to be continued ...
-
Per ardua, ad stercus
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

The boy stood on the burning deck
picking his nose like mad
He rolled them up in little balls
And flicked them at his dad.
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Beerinthemorning »

Mr Cynical wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:05 am For once no Cynism,
I am in the process of winding up my various business interests in Siam Reap. For many years I have tried to understand /accept the Khmer culture but it has become increasingly difficult to accept their bullshit,
A prime example is this report if it is true, a local hits a moto driven by a foreigner, as we all know the local will jump up and down hoping to bring in a crowd and agree that he (the local) is the one in the right. Put into the mix the westerner has a local wife who as we all know is looked down upon because she is with a foreigner. End result the idiot local gets a payout.
Defend it as you will, my biggest regret is that my leaving will have an negative effect on my employees. Shame on me I am sure a few will say, but for the years I have given employment with good salaries conditions to many Khmers, who the majority were fantastic.
Yes KoW is changing as is all of SEA, they merge in to the one big china soon.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Beerinthemorning wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:41 am
Mr Cynical wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:05 am For once no Cynism,
Yes KoW is changing as is all of SEA, they merge in to the one big china soon.
Always good to get your expert views. You were probably not born then but even 20 years ago getting into a spat with a local anywhere in SE Asia could end in very violent results.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic