Is it time to go home?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
sousadeyy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Is it time to go home?

Post by sousadeyy »

Why don't you go home, finish your degree, do a real teaching qualification, get a master's. Then come back and get a job at a real school. Then there is no need to complain about your bosses. Until then, yes time to move on or stay and complain forever.
Raider
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Raider »

newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:45 am
bobsboots wrote:
xandreu wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:49 pm Can't be bothered to read the whole thread, but going back to the original post, it mentions the racism here.

Yes, there is racism here. As white, non natives, we're treated differently in many aspects of society here. For example, we're generally paid more, in some cases, a lot more, than native people, for doing exactly the same job. Surely that's racism? Being paid a different salary based purely on the colour of your skin?

But we seem to accept this form of racism. That kind of racism is OK. Funny that. Yet when we're asked to pay a bit more on the odd occasion we want to visit Ankor Wat, or take a boat trip down the river, no, that form of racism is not OK.

But we can't have it both ways. We can't pick and choose what kind of racism is OK and which isn't. Either all forms of racism are bad, in which case, speak to your boss about being paid the same as a native, or we accept the status quo and STFU.
I can see that you are making an interesting point here, mate, but I have to mention 2 comments that you made.

" For example, we're generally paid more, in some cases, a lot more, than native people, for doing exactly the same job. Surely that's racism?"

First part is true. I have taught in SE Asia for over 20 years now and the point you make can create racism from the locals to us, but the statement you make is simply not the definition of racism.

"Being paid a different salary based purely on the colour of your skin? "

Of course not. We, as native speakers are paid more because we have a knowledge of our language that, sadly, many local teachers are lacking. We are paid for our ability, not the colour of our skin.

As I said though, you have brought up an interesting topic and I can see what you mean.
Paid only because of ability? Then why the pay discrepancy between native English speakers who are caucasian and those that are non-Caucasian?

The ideal look in Asia is Caucasian. White skin, large round eyes, preferably blonde hair, blue eyes. Those closer a foreigner is to this ideal, the better the treatment.

Not racism at all. Because Asians are never racist. CCTV teaches us that universal truth.
I mean I understand the stigma here, China pays people to literally be on their companies premise and do nothing other than be white. However, any decently regarded school wants credentials and the right fit, being white should have no influence on pay in that regard. Unless you have sources to back up this statement, I do not believe you should tout that native English speakers get paid more because they are white(even if there are instances where that has occurred, it is just circumstantial).
Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by Multipox »

Beerinthemorning wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:33 pm ....
I shouldnt have to put up with this shit , im not from a third world shithole.

english teaching sucks , for real, it pays pennies and they are racist.
I'll take over for you. I have a lot of free time I could throw some pennies into. Let me know when you're ready to quite.

Or, OTOH, I could just show up at the job in your place and say I'm you and just got a face lift.
When I need advice about life, I just check in here.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic