Taking Cambodia's bogus election to task

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Re: Taking Cambodia's bogus election to task

Post by that genius »

takeoman wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:00 am The election in Zimbabwe has led to commentators once again asking " is Western Democracy`really as good an idea as its supporters claim". :hattip:
Western democracy was tailored for the west.

To embed it in African cultures or SE Asian or Asian cultures will cause problems.

I have serious doubts that democracy is even a good thing in many respects.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Gardiguy wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:15 am
John Bingham wrote:What is really patronizing is when foreigners push their agendas while ignoring the bigger picture. A typical example of that is the way opposition party's vehement racism went largely unreported in foreign publications.
This is correct, when I hear expats proclaiming the death of democracy in Cambodia and how the weasel and the CNRP was the last hope, I really wonder what would have happened if they were around and won. I think most foreigners would be on the way out, and not by choice. Racism begets racism.
That's strange, I distinctly recall local English language newspapers who quoted vehement parts of Ramsey's "yuon" diatribes. It's easy to speculate on what could have happened working with inaccurate information. And no, I never supported Rainsey, my motivation is purely in support of accuracy.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

"unreported in foreign publications" Vs "local English language newspapers"
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Username Taken wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:06 pm "unreported in foreign publications" Vs "local English language newspapers"
Good point, but I seriously doubt most foreign publications outside of regional ones gave much of a rat's ass about Cambodia until just prior to the election and the Chinese partnership with Cambria Neither major party handles damage control very well.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

New government to be formed next month

Prime Minister HE said yesterday that a new government is scheduled to be formed next month after the CPP won a sweeping victory in Sunday’s election.
Speaking to about 10,000 garment workers in Phnom Penh’s Meanchey district, Mr HE said the Cambodian People’s Party will form a new government on September 20.

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50518911/n ... ext-month/
Always "hope" but never "expect".
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:11 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:37 am have to agree with this,
another 5 years of He's rule,how much of the country will be left?

C'mon, I didn't hear you protesting at the military dictatorship that assumed control without elections in Thailand, I didn't hear you say how much of Thailand will be left - why, what's different ? Quite the opposite, if I remember rightly you were all in favour at the time and thought it would be great because they would clean up the Phuket beach mafia, nothing like seeing the bigger picture lol.

I'm sure we can look forward to a more critical analysis from you of the Thai democratic process when they eventually finalise the electoral method that ensures the powers that be get the result they want and it's another 5 years of the same, much like Cambodia.
If I may - Thailand is bleeding.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:11 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:37 am have to agree with this,
another 5 years of He's rule,how much of the country will be left?

C'mon, I didn't hear you protesting at the military dictatorship that assumed control without elections in Thailand, I didn't hear you say how much of Thailand will be left - why, what's different ? Quite the opposite, if I remember rightly you were all in favour at the time and thought it would be great because they would clean up the Phuket beach mafia, nothing like seeing the bigger picture lol.

I'm sure we can look forward to a more critical analysis from you of the Thai democratic process when they eventually finalise the electoral method that ensures the powers that be get the result they want and it's another 5 years of the same, much like Cambodia.
Yes, that was my point, too. we've had some effing bogan fake reporter whining about the Cambodian election process whilst ignoring how his own govt scammed their electorate by buying refuge at $10/mn pp, and also ignoring the fact that voting in Australia is compulsory...Nazi state.

And we have at least American citizen, living in Cambodia, whilst continuously lambasting it and comparing it constantly, and unfavorably/unfairly with Thailand, whilst simultaneously selectively ignoring the problems in that country.

It reminds me of CNN (Crybaby News Network) whining about separated families at the border because it suits their agenda, but ignoring Gaza and Yemen.

All of them make me want to throw up, sorry, but true.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Sad to see you are having a bad day. Maybe you could drop into one of the hospitals to get them to scrape the shit off your liver that causes these erratic rants/
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Arget wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:37 pm Sad to see you are having a bad day. Maybe you could drop into one of the hospitals to get them to scrape the shit off your liver that causes these erratic rants/
Thanks for your concern Arget. I sense a wee bit of anger there. I'm guessing blood pressure is up.

I'll remember not to bring up murder and genocide because it disturbs you.

Obviously your agenda is way more important than the hypocrisy which ignores killing but delights in criticising a nation who don't play ball with certain others.

Will you contribute to a gofundme liver scrape? :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic