'No Cambodia left': how Chinese money is changing Sihanoukville

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: 'No Cambodia left': how Chinese money is changing Sihanoukville

Post by frank lee bent »

the lions roundabout was never drowning in rubbish the way it is now.
Artful Dodger
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Artful Dodger »

xandreu wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:24 pm It's not just Cambodia they're targeting.

There have been a number of articles published in newspapers over past few years with each titled along the lines of "China is winning the war without firing a shot".
These make reference to the East Sea dispute (Note: it is correctly called East Sea, not South China Sea), and also about trade as well as land purchases globally. In one article, the author wrote words to the effect of, "China is slowly taking over the world, occupying foreign countries, establishing foreign military bases, extracting foreign wealth, and has not even declared a war".
Water quenches the thirst, alcohol releases the truth.
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

Anchor Moy wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:03 am
Artful Dodger wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:26 am
Anchor Moy wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:42 pm
Personally, I thought I would retire and live out my days in a sleepy little Cambodian coastal town.
Take a look at Vung Tau in Vietnam. Ex-pat population there is growing.
Thanks, but don't think this is for me - theme parks and skyscrapers.
From wiki Vung Tau.
Resorts and theme parks

A big resort project has just been licensed by the Vietnamese government, the Saigon Atlantis. Upon completion, this entertainment project worth US$300 million in capital investment will include resorts, shopping, sailing.[10] The investor of this project is proposing to raise the investment capital to USD $4 billion. Two other noteworthy entertainment projects awaiting licensing are Vũng Tàu Aquarium, which will cost USD 250 million, and Bàu Trũng, a Disneyland-like entertainment park which will cost US$250 million. The project includes Landmark Tower, an 88-story skyscraper proposed to be built and completed by 2010 in Vũng Tàu by a USA-based company, Good Choice Import – Export Investment Inc, once built will likely be the highest building in Vietnam. The project is under consideration for approval by the local provincial government.[11][12]
Maybe I will have to find a sleepy little Cambodian town inland somewhere. But most are a bit too sleepy tbh. Somewhere with a bit of life, but no skyscrapers, and no traffic jams. I'm not difficult. (Much.) :roll:

I too thought I might retire in a sleepy little Cambodian coastal town.

I liked Kep, but it was a little too sleepy. A year ago, I checked out Sihanoukville, but I was retiring from China and didn't want to retire to 'China in Cambodia'. :facepalm: I then went to look at Kampot - no decent places to rent at a reasonable rate... and mega-development planned. Moved on to Phu Quoc, Vietnam - all geared to tourists - SW coast decimated for development of expensive, luxury, 5-star, resort/condo complexes; plus, there are direct flights from China (I watched three Chinese tourists crash their rented scooters in 'downtown' Duong Dong in 15 minutes); and, everything is more expensive because it's an island - 'western' grocery goods are almost non-existent (it's a great place if you're Korean).

After rejecting the Cambodian 'Riviera' and Phu Quoc, I have settled in Vung Tau. I love it. No place is perfect, but it offers a good balance - 'big city' amenities without big city traffic & pollution. I found a great apartment (stay away from any 'tower') just off Phan Chu Trinh St. on the side of the mountain park, under the lighthouse, in the middle of the local expat community (mostly Aussies... I told you no place is perfect :wink: ). Within a 3-minute walk are: four pubs (one makes fantastic pizzas) and a grocery store selling almost every western grocery item you can think of. The air is clean (except when some idiot decides to burn a pile of plastic). Traffic can be a little crazy on weekends (in certain places) when 'tourists' from Saigon descend for their weekend 'beach break', but for the most part it's fine. None of the developments in the quoted Wiki article have come to fruition.
You could be next.
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

frank lee bent wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:17 pm the lions roundabout was never drowning in rubbish the way it is now.
really?
it looks pretty clean compared to a few years ago.

when did you last see it?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic