Wallet Stolen at 69 Bar, Phnom Penh, Street 136 (girly bar)

This is the part of the forum where we discuss Cambodia's nightlife! While most bars, nightclubs, pubs, beer gardens, and hostess bars are in Phnom Penh, we discuss the Cambodian nightlife across all of Cambodia, including Siem Reap, Kampot, and Sihanoukville. The main nightlife areas in Phnom Penh are on Street 136, Street 130, Street 110 and Street 51, but there are other party spots that aren't girlie bars where expats, tourists, and locals drink until the sun comes up. Feel free to post specials and promotions that relate to nighttime fun!
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: Wallet Stolen at 69 Bar, Phnom Penh, Street 136 (girly

Post by Duncan »

PSD-Kiwi wrote:Stroppy chops...stop trying to make sense! These are sexpats who know it all and will only scoff at your sensible suggestions.
Yea, your better off wrapping those $100 notes around your cock and securing them with rubber bands.

It works for me.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Mooser
Expatriate

Post by Mooser »

Still to this day, I can never fully understand, why on earth , people walk around with wallets.
Leave the fucking thing at home, where it should be, and carry your cash in our pocket!!! :please:
Drifter
Expatriate

Post by Drifter »

Mooser wrote:Still to this day, I can never fully understand, why on earth , people walk around with wallets.
Leave the fucking thing at home, where it should be, and carry your cash in our pocket!!! :please:
serves them right and maybe they'll learn a lesson or two.
only a fool would walk around with a fat wallet in a third world country and especially in or around hostess bars !

we should not feel any pity as these guys always tend to think they know better, just as the tourists fresh off the boat and their rosy glasses.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

As said, the old bikers had it right, a biker wallet with chain. If I really feel threatened I put it in my front pocket. Great for riding motos also.

My mantra in SEA has always been "Never Let Your Guard Down" and it has served me well. Take the safes in your hotel rooms. Staff can open them and take money. I have a small portable pistol safe with combination lock.(can buy on line or at any sporting good store in the US.) I put my valuables in it, attach a small alarm with provided steel cable, then put that in the "safe."
Drifter
Expatriate

Post by Drifter »

Sailorman wrote:Take the safes in your hotel rooms. Staff can open them and take money.
and they will !

i heard many stories about cleaning ladies earning 70$/month who were robbing customers of 2-3000$ from their rooms.
the risk of being caught is basically zero and they will laugh all the way to their godforsaken village.

and good luck sueing the hotel owner or making a shitstorm with the police, you could end up with a bullet in your head, life is cheap here.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Pretty sure that only applies to inferior safes in dodgy countries. We had a hotel safe fail once and I got talking with the security guys over the hours it took them to sort it (after a week of getting to know each other) and they were adamant that the 'master combination' is a hoax.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

I've had the master used before in pretty good hotels. Once at the Sheraton Grands in BKK. What's the other option when guests fuck up - a drill ?
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Dunno - in our case the mechanism had failed, so different problem. Yeah, drill in this case.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

Cleaning ladies don't have the master combinations to in room safes. Managers do. Most decent hotels now have electronic key cards, and that tracks who unlocks the door and enters the room, so a manger is highly unlikely to enter your room and try to clean out your in room safe.

Occasionally burglars will enter a hotel room and walk right off with the in room safe, this is extremely rare.

If your threee choices are:

1. In room safe
2. Leaving valuables unsecured/hidden in the room
3. Turning valuables in to the front desk for safekeeping

I would choose #1, then #2, then #3. #3 is particularly bad if the hotel is remotely dodgy, I've read a lot of stories on Thorn Tree about people checking into small hotels and guesthouses in developing countries and then handing an envelope stuffed with cash over to the desk clerk or manager for safe keeping. They often get it back with money missing.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Cam Nivag wrote:Cleaning ladies don't have the master combinations to in room safes. Managers do. Most decent hotels now have electronic key cards, and that tracks who unlocks the door and enters the room, so a manger is highly unlikely to enter your room and try to clean out your in room safe.

Occasionally burglars will enter a hotel room and walk right off with the in room safe, this is extremely rare.

If your threee choices are:

1. In room safe
2. Leaving valuables unsecured/hidden in the room
3. Turning valuables in to the front desk for safekeeping

I would choose #1, then #2, then #3. #3 is particularly bad if the hotel is remotely dodgy, I've read a lot of stories on Thorn Tree about people checking into small hotels and guesthouses in developing countries and then handing an envelope stuffed with cash over to the desk clerk or manager for safe keeping. They often get it back with money missing.
I do number 3 in PP because I've stayed in the same place over the years and trust them. They seal the valuables in an envelope and you sign over the cello tape. This coming trip as I'm going to SR I was going to give one of those Wing cards a go and pay the cash in on arrival. Just need to check what happens in the event of card loss.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic