Quiet Koh Rong island in September and April ? Rain ?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Quiet Koh Rong island in September and April ? Rain ?

Post by jaynewcastle »

Have a look at booking.com & Agoda for accommodation options on both Koh Rong islands
BangkokStick
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by BangkokStick »

jaynewcastle wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:59 am Have a look at booking.com & Agoda for accommodation options on both Koh Rong islands

Thank you, I didn't know :-)

But it's not always clear that they have internet and electricity 24 hours.
BangkokStick
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by BangkokStick »

Genti wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:31 am If you want the nicest beach i recommend Koh Rong Samloen. Less crowded than Koh Rong, beautiful beaches, 24hours electricity in the newer resorts, even bungalows with AC. I prefere the lazy beach bungalows, but there the comfort is the beach, the sand, the hammock and the moskito net :) most of the time we were the only people at the beach... on saracaen bay you have the newer resorts, two of them with a pool. you can not compare it with Thailand and the beachfront villas there, but i prefere Koh Rong Samloen because of the beaches.

Don't forget in April is Khmer New Year and the better bungalow resorts are allready sold out 13-15 april 2019.

Thank you, but I prefer Koh rong for convenience, I do not really care anymore the nicest beaches. I was living in a front beach villa as the ones in Thailand many many years.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

BangkokStick wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:07 am
cptrelentless wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:55 pm What kind of stay are you looking for on Koh Rong? There 's butt-fuck nowhere, five star-ish, fishing village, western-ish village or some in-between things. You want quiet nothing or quiet some facilities?

It seems that Koh touch village is the only place to get 24 hours electricity and aircon ?

I know that it's not the best place where to stay, but I really need comfort and have already been living on some of the nicest beach of the world so many years that it's ok to stay in a small building if necessary. I just want to be on Koh rong because it's nicer than Sihanoukville to walk and exercise.
Coconut beach. The stuff on Sok San might not be finished, I dunno, Royal Sands? Might be a bit of a building site still, I think but Coconut is nice, a bit classy, no proles. About 80 a night.
james1234
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by james1234 »

I will be on Koh Rong in the first week of October for a couple of days. How quite and rainy is it than?

Can anyone recomment a hotel or resort? I like a little comfort for reasonable price 15-35 p/night. Koh Rong hotels seems to me much more expensive (less quality/price) than others in Cambodia or Thailand, but I want to visit the Island.
BangkokStick
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by BangkokStick »

james1234 wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:09 pm I will be on Koh Rong in the first week of October for a couple of days. How quite and rainy is it than?

Can anyone recomment a hotel or resort? I like a little comfort for reasonable price 15-35 p/night. Koh Rong hotels seems to me much more expensive (less quality/price) than others in Cambodia or Thailand, but I want to visit the Island.

Same here, it seems that staying around the Koh Touch village is the only chance to find a reasonably priced hotel. Nothing decent on the beach for less than $60 it seems ?
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

Ok, I'm a bit late to this conversation because I have been fukn busy dealing with government offices ( different thread, I will update it at the conclusion).
I lived and worked on Longset Beach, Koh Rong last year for 5 months Beginning of May through to the end of September.
1/ There is no real "low season" on either Island now, even in the worst imaginable weather in the depths of the low season. So rid your self of that though Immediately!
2/ The Turks ran electric from 2 massive gennies in the middle of the Island to most of the Island early last year, so most places have very stable 24/7 power. The few places that don't opted out because of the cost.
3/ I'm an Ozzie and particularly an Ozzie surfer and fisherman. Take it from me, I know good beaches. Longset (aka 4k beach) is simply magnificent. World class. Long beach on the other side of the Island is beautiful also. Most of the beaches could be described, at the very least, as "lovely"! You have good snorkelling, particularly out on "Pagoda Island" and decent fishing if you pick the right fishing charter.
4/ Not sure of your idea of " comfort" but your budget is a bit low for say A/c and hotwater except in a couple of places in Koh Touch village. However, for $35 you can get some decent accommodation. Booking.com is your friend. I hesitate to recommend places because so many have changed hands or operational style in the last 12 months, I'm a bit out of touch.
5/ Koh Touch or the "backpacker ghetto" as I call it. Is probably great if you are young and want some party time and excitement. I'm not, so it didn't suit me, but hey, its suits a hell of a lot of people so who am I to denigrate it? Its also only a 30-40 minute walk from Longset beach.
6/ I would try Reef on the Beach at Longset. It is somewhat backpacker oriented, but without the frentic pace and ridiculously loud music until stupid o'clock. It offers grass thatch bungalows, which are more then adequate (they were talking about putting hotwater in some of the bungalows just as I left, but I don't know whether they did or not) to very nice "glamping" style tents. Check prices on the OTA'S.
7/ Its been another very wet rainy season, so you should expect at least some rain in September.
My advice is - give it a go.
Hope this helped a bit!
BangkokStick
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by BangkokStick »

Hotdigr wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:58 pm Ok, I'm a bit late to this conversation because I have been fukn busy dealing with government offices ( different thread, I will update it at the conclusion).
I lived and worked on Longset Beach, Koh Rong last year for 5 months Beginning of May through to the end of September.
1/ There is no real "low season" on either Island now, even in the worst imaginable weather in the depths of the low season. So rid your self of that though Immediately!
2/ The Turks ran electric from 2 massive gennies in the middle of the Island to most of the Island early last year, so most places have very stable 24/7 power. The few places that don't opted out because of the cost.
3/ I'm an Ozzie and particularly an Ozzie surfer and fisherman. Take it from me, I know good beaches. Longset (aka 4k beach) is simply magnificent. World class. Long beach on the other side of the Island is beautiful also. Most of the beaches could be described, at the very least, as "lovely"! You have good snorkelling, particularly out on "Pagoda Island" and decent fishing if you pick the right fishing charter.
4/ Not sure of your idea of " comfort" but your budget is a bit low for say A/c and hotwater except in a couple of places in Koh Touch village. However, for $35 you can get some decent accommodation. Booking.com is your friend. I hesitate to recommend places because so many have changed hands or operational style in the last 12 months, I'm a bit out of touch.
5/ Koh Touch or the "backpacker ghetto" as I call it. Is probably great if you are young and want some party time and excitement. I'm not, so it didn't suit me, but hey, its suits a hell of a lot of people so who am I to denigrate it? Its also only a 30-40 minute walk from Longset beach.
6/ I would try Reef on the Beach at Longset. It is somewhat backpacker oriented, but without the frentic pace and ridiculously loud music until stupid o'clock. It offers grass thatch bungalows, which are more then adequate (they were talking about putting hotwater in some of the bungalows just as I left, but I don't know whether they did or not) to very nice "glamping" style tents. Check prices on the OTA'S.
7/ Its been another very wet rainy season, so you should expect at least some rain in September.
My advice is - give it a go.
Hope this helped a bit!

Thank you ! First smart post about Koh rong ever read on this forum (even after searching).

It's great to be able to find electricity everywhere, but I guess that some resorts still stop it at night to save cost ?

For me comfort is:
- 24h aircon + internet
- window with at least sky view (no wall in front)
- without too many insects in the room
and yes I prefer koh touch to be at walking distance to anywhere including boat pier.

I think that I will walk to the closer hotel with my specs from the boat pier.

james1234
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by james1234 »

@Hotdigr

Thx man, for me too!
[/For me comfort is:
- 24h aircon + internet
- window with at least sky view (no wall in front)
- without too many insects in the roomquote]

Same for me. Dont need 5 star resort, but some comfort is nice.

Normally I travel mostly in low season and I Always book 1-2 days ahead. So I am free to change my travel plans and I have low last minute prices too. Can I do this in Koh Rong or will it be sold out first week of october?
I don't mind an ocational shower and hate lots of tourists, thats why I travel low season. Has been great most of the time! :beer3:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic