News websites blocked in Cambodia this weekend

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Ashcroftie
Expatriate
Zimbabwe

Re: News websites blocked in Cambodia this weekend

Post by Ashcroftie »

I'm on OpenNet Fiber.

Cannot access:
Phnom Penh Post, VOA, RFA, Voice of Democracy-VOD, Cambodia Daily, and probably quite a few others.

No problem with:
ABC Australia, or any other international news outlet (BBC, CNN, etc.)

What I'd like to know if there's any Cambodian ISP not complying to the directive. Probably none, as I suppose they'd risk losing their license, but just out of curiosity.

And to people here saying: "Oh, but it's still accessible for me!" Are you sure? Thoroughly clean your browser cache first, and then try again.
ofparadise
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ofparadise »

No issues here. Using squid on a Singapore digital ocean droplet

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Ashcroftie
Expatriate
Zimbabwe

Post by Ashcroftie »

Sigh, it's not about using VPN's, proxy's and all kinds of nerdy things you can use to circumvent blocks, it's about people using a simple, normal internet connection via a Cambodian ISP.

All the 'smart', 'nerdy' things you're using, I'm really not interested in.
ofparadise
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ofparadise »

Ashcroftie wrote:Sigh, it's not about using VPN's, proxy's and all kinds of nerdy things you can use to circumvent blocks, it's about people using a simple, normal internet connection via a Cambodian ISP.

All the 'smart', 'nerdy' things you're using, I'm really not interested in.
Then you don't understand the flow of information online. We've always had to fight for it. Nothing is open. Nothing is free. We can work around it though.

Ashcroftie
Expatriate
Zimbabwe

Post by Ashcroftie »

Then you don't understand the flow of information online. We've always had to fight for it. Nothing is open. Nothing is free. We can work around it though.
I perfectly understand the flow of information, thank you very much, and I also know how to get around blocks.
But, that's not the point, most people don't know how to do that, and thus do not have access to information, because blocked.
I could also post my 'smart' solutions here, but that's not benefiting any 'ordinary' internet user.
ofparadise
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ofparadise »

Sadly I don't think that will ever happen on a global level. As long as there's something that would benefit from delayed awareness... this crap will continue. I would love it to be free.. but it seems like a pipe dream now... sad though.

Artful Dodger
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Artful Dodger »

Gilmore wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:09 am Now it makes sense. Since I woke at 6 am, I haven't been able to access the ABC news website. Hardly co-incidental, as the ABC have been heavily promoting this coming Monday's Four Corners expose of corruption and dictatorship in Cambodia, which, as usual, relies heavily on accepting verbatim the ridiculous assertions of chronic liars Sam Rainsey and Khmer-Australian state MP Hong Lim. In past ABC interviews, Lim has claimed such idiocies as 2 million people took part in Kem Ley's funeral procession and that Rainsy and Sokha were given sanctuary in the US Embassy after assassination attempts by the CPP following the 2013 election. Earlier this year, Rainsey stated on the ABC that HE had already agreed secretly to hand over power to him after the election and that arrangements were in place for him to be relocated to another country. Not surprising that authorities don't want the public to be exposed to bullshit like that prior to tomorrow's election.
TOF is also inaccessible on my ISP, PPCTV Internet, but that may be part of their ongoing "technical difficulties".
http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/champagn ... s/10039962
Water quenches the thirst, alcohol releases the truth.
Gilmore
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Gilmore »

Like barang chgout, I noticed that my internet speed dropped significantly yesterday afternoon and evening. Coincidental? No problems now and I can access the sites that were blocked yesterday. I wonder whether it will remain that way for the rest of the day.
finbar
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by finbar »

ofparadise" wrote:No issues here. Using squid on a Singapore digital ocean droplet
Frying pan, fire?
Though maybe they don't block, only monitor every single thing.
-
Per ardua, ad stercus
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

IN the PP post today
17 websites blocked for 2 days 12 am saturday- 12 am monday

Voter turn out 82%!!!!!!!! Amazing
2013 69%
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic