Wedding Party without marriage

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Wedding Party without marriage

Post by taabarang »

Sometimes we don't do things for others so we can respect ourselves. If you think that dressing up so that you look like a cast member from the show Pirates of Penzance will make her happy, by all means do so.

As a foreigner you DO have some leeway. I got married under similar circumstances in a small village years ago. I wore dress slacks and a short sleeve dress shirt with a tie. It was acceptable, after all I did not move to Cambodia to become Khmer.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Genti wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:16 am As i wrote, we will marry in Switzerland. Are you really shure about this: "but when I looked into it last year the only place she can get married without this pesky paper is Aero island, denmark"

the consulat in PP and the embassy in BKK are helpfull and we got checklists about the papers we need. She need the certificate of civil status, wich she got allready from the boss of the village. And the other papers from the checklist we got to, we just need to do the translation of the papers. And for the visa we need the criminal/police record from Ministere de la Justice, waiting for this allready a couple of weeks.

Right now i can't see why it should not work in Switzerland. Except that the swiss embassy or the swiss immigration authorities still could say no.
You don't understand it seems. The Swiss government is most probably not going to accept the document from the village chief stating your fiancee is single because of the corruption here. That document from the village chief is just a copied A4 paper with your fiancee's photo attached to it and her name filled in on the blanks. Signed off by the village chief. It's in Khmer only. The Swiss government will most probably ask for a version translated and signed off by the ministry of Foreign Affairs in Phnom Penh. A certified one.

And the ministry in Phnom Penh won't provide that document. Maybe if there's a Cambodian embassy in Switzerland you could try it there, but that will cost you because they're not allowed to do it too.

Check with the Swiss authorities which documents you need precisely. In what language, signed off / stamped by which authority, and I bet you a whole Swiss cheese there's not going to be marriage in Switzerland because they will ask for papers your fiancee can't provide because of strict Cambodian laws.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:52 am
Genti wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:16 am As i wrote, we will marry in Switzerland. Are you really shure about this: "but when I looked into it last year the only place she can get married without this pesky paper is Aero island, denmark"

the consulat in PP and the embassy in BKK are helpfull and we got checklists about the papers we need. She need the certificate of civil status, wich she got allready from the boss of the village. And the other papers from the checklist we got to, we just need to do the translation of the papers. And for the visa we need the criminal/police record from Ministere de la Justice, waiting for this allready a couple of weeks.

Right now i can't see why it should not work in Switzerland. Except that the swiss embassy or the swiss immigration authorities still could say no.
You don't understand it seems. The Swiss government is most probably not going to accept the document from the village chief stating your fiancee is single because of the corruption here. That document from the village chief is just a copied A4 paper with your fiancee's photo attached to it and her name filled in on the blanks. Signed off by the village chief. It's in Khmer only. The Swiss government will most probably ask for a version translated and signed off by the ministry of Foreign Affairs in Phnom Penh. A certified one.

And the ministry in Phnom Penh won't provide that document. Maybe if there's a Cambodian embassy in Switzerland you could try it there, but that will cost you because they're not allowed to do it too.

Check with the Swiss authorities which documents you need precisely. In what language, signed off / stamped by which authority, and I bet you a whole Swiss cheese there's not going to be marriage in Switzerland because they will ask for papers your fiancee can't provide because of strict Cambodian laws.
so true,
we got the local single paper but the ministry would not stamp it cause i am over 50

You can marry in HK, Singapore and Japan without this paper
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Genti
Expatriate
Switzerland

Post by Genti »

Again, thank you guys for your feedback. It seems it will be more complicated as i thought. But we will try it and i will give you an upate about the situation. If it is not working, then we have to do it in another country.
Genti
Expatriate
Switzerland

Post by Genti »

Hi Guys, some month later and smarter, i like to give you an update about our situation.

A pre-wedding party would be possible, but they asking for some tea money. And i am not feeling save, risking the police to riat the pre wedding party, so i think we just have family dinner in cambodia at the hotel. Good food, some music, talking and drinking and then we will move to a bar or karaoke place for more drinking :)

The other issue was, if we can marry in Switzerland. Even if some guys answered this is not possible. I guess you never have tried it. The consulary office in Phnom Penh was very helpfull, they have checklists, so we organized all the documents from the checklist, went to Bangkok, applied together on the swiss embassy for the wedding and about 1 month later we got the permission to legaly marry in switzerland and 2 month later we got the Visa for my girlfriend to travel to Switzerland for the wedding and to stay here for living. No easy way, but since i am swiss i have done it the swiss way :-) every single document and the translation was carefully proofed by us, for example the criminal record was not correct, so we had to ask for a correct one without misspelling, doublechecking the papers with the embassy, we even were nice clothes at our appointment at the embassy and at the end it worked.

@Kammekor: "I bet you a whole Swiss cheese there's not going to be marriage in Switzerland because they will ask for papers your fiancee can't provide because of strict Cambodian laws" -> thank you very much, i will be in Cambodia in January next year, just let me know where i can pick up the whole swiss cheese;-)
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Who can get it
Most people can get a marriage licence. Same sex marriages are legal in NZ.

You don’t need to be an NZ citizen. Visitors to NZ can marry or have a civil union here.

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrgDdx ... uGObeJlWw-

New Zealand Marriage Law Requirements
What are the legal requirements to get married in New Zealand?
Legal age for marriage is 18 years for both men and women. If 16 or 17 years old then parental consent is required.
Bride and Groom may not be related by blood, marriage or adoption

How long do I have to be resident in New Zealand before I can get married?
There are no residency requirements to get married in New Zealand, although if you are in New Zealand at least 3 working days before your marriage, you can apply for a marriage licence in person rather than apply from overseas.

Getting a marriage licence
You need to fill in a Statutory Declaration form which states that there is no lawful impediment to your marriage. This can be obtained from a New Zealand representative overseas, or from a registry office in New Zealand.
You will also need to fill in a Notice of Intended Marriage form before a New Zealand Registrar of Marriages.
You also need to advise the Registrar of the date of your wedding, in order for the wedding licence to be issued (valid for 3 months).

What legal papers do I need to take with me?
There is no proof of identity needed to marry in New Zealand.
If you have been divorced then the final divorce papers must be shown.
If you are widowed then the death certificate of your previous spouse must be shown.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kayve »

Genti wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:11 am Hi Guys, some month later and smarter, i like to give you an update about our situation.

A pre-wedding party would be possible, but they asking for some tea money. And i am not feeling save, risking the police to riat the pre wedding party, so i think we just have family dinner in cambodia at the hotel. Good food, some music, talking and drinking and then we will move to a bar or karaoke place for more drinking :)

The other issue was, if we can marry in Switzerland. Even if some guys answered this is not possible. I guess you never have tried it. The consulary office in Phnom Penh was very helpfull, they have checklists, so we organized all the documents from the checklist, went to Bangkok, applied together on the swiss embassy for the wedding and about 1 month later we got the permission to legaly marry in switzerland and 2 month later we got the Visa for my girlfriend to travel to Switzerland for the wedding and to stay here for living. No easy way, but since i am swiss i have done it the swiss way :-) every single document and the translation was carefully proofed by us, for example the criminal record was not correct, so we had to ask for a correct one without misspelling, doublechecking the papers with the embassy, we even were nice clothes at our appointment at the embassy and at the end it worked.

@Kammekor: "I bet you a whole Swiss cheese there's not going to be marriage in Switzerland because they will ask for papers your fiancee can't provide because of strict Cambodian laws" -> thank you very much, i will be in Cambodia in January next year, just let me know where i can pick up the whole swiss cheese;-)
Thanks for the feedback. Enjoy your cheese :hattip:
Don't forget the water buffalo
Genti
Expatriate
Switzerland

Post by Genti »

Hi Guys, time passes and here is the next update... in the mean time my girlfriend/fiance got her passport back with the national visa to travel to Switzerland for weeding and longterm stay. Soon she is moving to Switzerland and after the wedding in Switzerland with the confirmation of the "Zivilstandsamt" she will get her permament visa. Keep you updated :)

PS: Kammekor: still waiting for the whole Swiss cheese :D
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Congratulations. Missus’ friend will be marrying a Khmer Swiss soon and moving there. Her sister will be across the border in France.

Best of luck to you and yours, and may you have a long and happy marriage.
Funflyer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Funflyer »

I did it a few years ago and never had a problem. We later got married properly in Australia. Having a wedding party in Cambodia give the lady face in her village. We went through many dress phases during the day long ceremony including western wedding dress. We didn't pay any money. The only thing that did happen was that we were told that wedding cakes are not part of Cambodian culture so we'd have to pay $250 if we wanted to have one. We gave everyone fruit instead, which I think went down very well with the guests.

P.S. 5 years and 2 kids later we got divorced in Australia. We share custody of the kids 50/50 but I have considerably less asset now! A cautionary tale?!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic