Taiwanese Man Smashes Two Motorbikes with His BMW

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
w2no
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Taiwanese Man Smashes Two Motorbikes with His BMW

Post by w2no »

Oh thank you for your kind reply. I meant the app in iOS? My colleague can speak English. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fatuousdrivel
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by fatuousdrivel »

w2no wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:52 pm Oh thank you for your kind reply. I meant the app in iOS? My colleague can speak English. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok glad you cleared that up.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

fatuousdrivel wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:10 pmBecause often that’s what the victims family want rather than a custodial sentence. It’s a cultural thing and is also the norm in Africa, India and other developing nations.
Not in any of the 14 African countries I've lived in.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

fatuousdrivel wrote:
epidemiks wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:00 pm
fatuousdrivel wrote:
Arget wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:56 pm How about charging some of these arseholes and locking them up instead of letting them go after paying a pittance for injuries or death. =@
Because often that’s what the victims family want rather than a custodial sentence. It’s a cultural thing and is also the norm in Africa, India and other developing nations.

Don’t think of things with your western head on otherwise you’ll be constantly enraged.
I don't think it's a cultural thing, I think it's a poverty thing. Filing charges against someone costs significant money, and regardless of fault, someone with a big SUV that has the means to fight it, will, and will win in a court system that rewards the highest bidder. If the victim is successful, there's no guarantee of the court will award financial compensation. Funerals also cost significant money.

Accepting compensation (or paying it) also settles the issue legally. If you accept compensation you can't file a lawsuit, and the driver can't be pursued further.
Cultural in developing nations.
Your reply just reaffirms my point.
I'd call it conditioning, not culture.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic