Olive Olive - SHV

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Olive Olive - SHV

Post by Pizzalover »

The place is easy to find. At the golden lions roundabout take the street uphill towards serendipity beach. Right at the corner near the roundabout on the right side sits this unassuming place.

The place is not run by an Italian but he has an Italian chef.

Guests are treated with some free hot bread, olive oil and tzaziki. Occassionally also some lahmacun which tells you that the owner is a Turkish citizen.

He buys his supplies from Aroi Italy in BKK which is remarkable.

I like his USD 5 pizza Magherita which is as good as it should be in Italy. It is large and has a thin crust. Good cheese etc. So it tastes like I was used to before I got to Asia. The portion fills my greedy stomach well. 30 cm diameter....

The tiramisu is also nice but a little more alcohol would work better.

A look around shows that the place is clean and does good business with expats and tourists.

Given the low or reasonable prices at high quality compared to other places, this is place is a winner.

No need to spend big money on a good meal.

I like the place and stop by once a week when in SHV.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Re: Olive Olive - SHV

Post by OrangeDragon »

Never eaten a bad meal there. We really enjoy the place.
0to60
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by 0to60 »

I learned how to make tzatziki from a Greek chic, so I thought it was Greek. But I've also been told that Greece and Turkey have a lot in common.
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

Best pizza in town (sorry Marco Polo & Mediterraneo). GF had a tasty hunk of beef that didn't require being a hyena to consume as well. The Turkish owner is a good guy too.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

I found the pizza from Marco Polo rather lackluster honestly... despite all of the hype it had gotten.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

Yes, the best Pizza in town, but not 100% perfect. I slip the cook making pizza a $1. to use less flour and leave the pizza in an extra minute. He uses a rolling pin (too much) and that kills the dough., but still the best Pizza you can buy in Snooky. Mine is better, but I don't have and don't want a restaurant. It took me two years to put together/design a home hot oven, and get pizza pells and a pizza stone sent from the US.

Loved the lamb at Olive and Olive and the veg was to die for, one of the best veg dish's I've ever had. The kitchen is clean, the food is not left out to have flys tapdance on and the cooks in the kitchen wear real chefs uniforms. A class act to say the least.

One of the Pizza places mentioned in this post I got sick from the take away pizza (rancid peperoni) and threw 90% of it away.(The other 10% didn't taste half as good coming back up.)
Last edited by Sailorman on Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker »

Dunno when I'll next make it to SVille but I sure hope this place is still running when I do. Sound just what I'm looking for.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

My favorite pizza in town is still pizziana on ekereach. not sure why, it's fast food style pizza, but it just hits that spot for me.

pineapple and chili, with double cheese.
wowww
Tourist

Post by wowww »

Barbarella's and he used to deliver and Marco Polos was comparatively terrible. Haven't lived there for a while though, so things may have changed, albeit we still visit !
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

It is a Mediterranean restaurant, not an Italian restaurant btw and that's how they advertise themselves as having Mediterranean food. Korey the (Turkish) owner is a top bloke and unless he has changed chefs recently, the chef/chefs is/are his brother(s) and is/are not Italian either! His food is BLOODY good and I agree they do the best pizza in town. Hands down!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic