Travelling in SEA for Cambodian Citizens

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
khmerre
Expatriate

Travelling in SEA for Cambodian Citizens

Post by khmerre »

The Cambodian Citizens can travel to many SEA countries without any visa, but they need a valid passport.
I think, but not sure, that the passport must have at least 6 months validity at the moment of the entrance in the foreign country.
Is this rule applied from all the SEA countries to the Cambodian Citizens ?

We are travelling a few times per year abroad and the passport of my khmer friend is close to the expiration date, but she would like to keep the old passport, that could be useful in the future to facilitate obtaining a visa for Schengen or similar.

The KH passport office will give her the old passport only if the passport is expired. Also she can apply for a new passport just after expiring the old one and if the 6 months rule apply to all SEA country, we cannot travel abroad together for at least 6 months.

Thanks
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Travelling in SEA for Cambodian Citizens

Post by hanno »

To the best of my knowledge this does not only apply to all ASEAN countries, but to most countries int he world.

Why would an old passport be useful in obtaining a Schengen visa.

My Missus applied for a new passport 8-9 months before her old one expired as she would not have gotten a SA visa with the old one.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

my gf got her new 10 year Khmer passport 2 years before her old one was due to expire,
she has both now
PS ; they didn't even cancel the old one , ( although it has now expired) as most western countries do

I can see ur reasoning for keeping old one to establish travel history for u both
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

The old passport, in my experience, gets cancelled and returned.

If you're concerned it won't be, scan all the relevant pages so you have a record of the old passport and travel history.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:06 am my gf got her new 10 year Khmer passport 2 years before her old one was due to expire,
she has both now
PS ; they didn't even cancel the old one , ( although it has now expired) as most western countries do

I can see ur reasoning for keeping old one to establish travel history for u both
^ this, for us too. My wife's old (3Y + 2Y + 2Y extensions) passport was still valid, and they didn't ask for it when applying for a new one. So they did not cancel / damage it.

They might keep track of the new passports given out though.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:06 amI can see ur reasoning for keeping old one to establish travel history for u both
I can't, TBH. When I used to travel with my ex-wife, the German Embassy knew exactly where and when she had been without need ing her old passport.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

hanno wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:32 am
phuketrichard wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:06 amI can see ur reasoning for keeping old one to establish travel history for u both
I can't, TBH. When I used to travel with my ex-wife, the German Embassy knew exactly where and when she had been without need ing her old passport.
If you apply for a Schengen visa you need to provide copies of the peviously issued Schengen visa from the last 5 (or 3? don't remember clearly) years, so I can understand why she wants to keep the old passport if there's previous visa in it.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Kammekor wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:44 am
hanno wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:32 am
If you apply for a Schengen visa you need to provide copies of the peviously issued Schengen visa from the last 5 (or 3? don't remember clearly) years, so I can understand why she wants to keep the old passport if there's previous visa in it.
Nope, not once was that required.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:11 am The old passport, in my experience, gets cancelled and returned.

If you're concerned it won't be, scan all the relevant pages so you have a record of the old passport and travel history.
My wife still has her old passport. They just clipped the cover when she got the new one issued.

Whenever I get a new document that's important or retire an old one, like passports, I scan at high resolution and keep copies in a dropbox and a google drive. Makes online visa applications (for Australia) very simple as everything is ready to go, and scans of documents don't need to be notarized.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

It depends on the country, my old passports have always been returned to me with the corner clipped off to show it's cancelled.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic