Gofund my business cos this Aussie nomad can't. (Kampot)

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
fatuousdrivel
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Gofund my business cos this Aussie nomad can't. (Kampot)

Post by fatuousdrivel »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:36 pm
fatuousdrivel wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:49 am I hope he’s not a teacher himself as his English is terrible.
Assuming he’s a native English speaker I guess he was brought up in a similar hippy commune.
That is bollocks, i have lived in "communes" back in the day, they were usually educated middle class types.

charlie
“Usually”.
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

yeah, the thick ones were "usually" northerners =@

charlie
fatuousdrivel
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by fatuousdrivel »

He’s Australian not British.
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

I was referring to you mate ! its called sarcasm !

charlie
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

Taking it on face value, he has 1 of 2 problems or a combination of both.
1/ The business model is financially unviable.
2/ His business plan is unsound.
Considering he hasn't mentioned/addressed either of these problems, this leads to the question of - "What happens next low season?"
Go Fund Me again?
whiteribbon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by whiteribbon »

I think that guy might have his heart in the right place but no business sense. He was already advertising his business months ago on some hook-up apps, not to hook up, that was very clear, just to get customers. And that was during high season. So even than his business was going bad. This might just be his last try to make it work. Wish him well but he should probably move on to different ventures.
just noise, white noise
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

whiteribbon wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:34 pm I think that guy might have his heart in the right place but no business sense. He was already advertising his business months ago on some hook-up apps, not to hook up, that was very clear, just to get customers. And that was during high season. So even than his business was going bad. This might just be his last try to make it work. Wish him well but he should probably move on to different ventures.
I suspect the same thing, i doubt he is trying to scam people so he can the live the high life, an idealist like many of us were before we got old and cynical.

charlie
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:07 pm i want open a business,
will u all please help me by each sending me $50 to make it successful?
I know you're kidding, but in all honesty the last time we passed the hat around the CEO crew to help a guy out, he turned nasty. Not a word of thanks was expected, in fact we all said to not say a word, but it wasn't long before he was taking cheap shots. A shame, really, because we all kicked in to support his missus.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Ashcroftie
Expatriate
Zimbabwe

Post by Ashcroftie »

From his GoFundMe page:
"I came across an amazing freshly finished building"
but right after that:
"It took 4 months of blood, sweat and tears to complete each stage from building up the foundations from bare cement to making the biggest rooftop in Kampot."
That doesn't make sense.

More that doesn't make sense (from GoFundMe page):
"set saved money through the high season aside."
Yeah, dude, that's what every tourism business in the Kingdom of Wonder does.
BUT the very next sentence:
"It was a risky decision"
Huh? Exactly what is risky about that?
And after that:
"we now face low season."
Yeah, sure, as every tourism business does here.
But, but, you had put saved money made through high season aside, right? What am I missing here? Unless you didn't make enough money in the high season, in other words: a failed business plan, if any.

And what also doesn't make sense: the location. Look at the picture from his website:
Yes, you saw that right, it's in the middle of nowhere.
But, according to the website: "conveniently located just 10 minutes walking from the town centre". Yeah, right...
Not a place I'd like to stay, nor any nomad or hipster or whatever you call them, unless you choose to never go anywhere at night.

What really irritates me is this on the GoFundMe page:
"10% will be used to NomadWS"
All the rest supposedly goes to the local school, local events, caring for animals, etc.
Whereas before he states: "money is needed to make the BUSINESS survive"
And in the last paragraph: "to help make this dream survive"
He probably means HIS dream.

So yeah, I'd say MAYBE he has good intentions, but business wise he has to learn a lot. Well, this 'venture' may serve him right then.
Another one bites the dust chasing HIS 'dream' in Cambodia.
fatuousdrivel
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by fatuousdrivel »

Looked on that booking.com site and it’s 1.7km from the night market.

It seems to me that he created a hostel business realised that it takes planning and key money to run it (for a minimum of 12 months) and then decided to throw in the social enterprise angle but even did that half heartedly.

He’ll be gone soon replaced by another snowflake.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic