Dating and Money in Cambodia

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
violet
Expatriate

Re: Dating and Money in Cambodia

Post by violet »

Perhaps. If not in money, then in pain, distrust or lost hopes and dreams.

Edit...I worded that wrong but y'all know what I meant.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Steven
Expatriate
France

Post by Steven »

violet wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:06 pm Perhaps. If not in money, then in pain, distrust or lost hopes and dreams.

Edit...I worded that wrong but y'all know what I meant.
Hopefully you should get more than you pay in that area. At least that's the basic idea, won't always work out that way :beer3:

edit: if it doesn't work there are still alcohol, drugs and/or divorce
Steven
Expatriate
France

Post by Steven »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:53 pm
Steven wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:47 pm
Heng Heng Heng wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:44 pm Rule #2: A woman's company always costs money. No matter your age.
I disagree on that one. For fun maybe but I wouldn't consider a serious relationship with someone unwilling to pull it's own weight.
Ironically he had a lot of them. For free.
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

cannabistourist wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:29 pm No respect for all this Asian bullshit
Funnily enough, its not just "Asian bullshit". We in the west suffer the same thing, but call it "being embarrassed". If a mate fuks you over by his behaviour when drunk the night before for instance, wouldn't you up him the next day and say "You cunt, you fukn embarrassed the shit out of me last night"? Of course you would. You could just as easily say " You fukn cunt, you made me lose mega face last night" and it would mean basically the same thing.
Sure, culturally SOME of "US" let it go and get over it easier then Asians, but haven't you ever been warned to- " Watch what you say to this bloke, he takes offence easily and holds grudges forever"?
Same, same.
To the OP, you embarrassed the shit out of your missus, perhaps inadvertently by not understanding the cultural niceties here, but that doesn't change the fact that it happened. How she reacts to that - only time will tell. If you get another chance, maybe next time take $50 with you. You don't HAVE to spend it all just because its in your pocket ay! :wink:
Raider
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Raider »

cambo swa wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:50 pm "Is this normal in Cambodia (she said all Cambodian men would pay for everything) or is she playing on the fact that I am foreign and have money?"

You had a total of $20 with you Mr. Foreigner with money. And she is playing you for what? That is precious!
Read my whole post, I already paid for drinks for her and I earlier. The $20 is all I had left when we met with her friend. Trust me I don't worry about money, I just didn't plan accordingly.
Raider
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Raider »

Hotdigr wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:59 pm
cannabistourist wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:29 pm No respect for all this Asian bullshit
Funnily enough, its not just "Asian bullshit". We in the west suffer the same thing, but call it "being embarrassed". If a mate fuks you over by his behaviour when drunk the night before for instance, wouldn't you up him the next day and say "You cunt, you fukn embarrassed the shit out of me last night"? Of course you would. You could just as easily say " You fukn cunt, you made me lose mega face last night" and it would mean basically the same thing.
Sure, culturally SOME of "US" let it go and get over it easier then Asians, but haven't you ever been warned to- " Watch what you say to this bloke, he takes offence easily and holds grudges forever"?
Same, same.
To the OP, you embarrassed the shit out of your missus, perhaps inadvertently by not understanding the cultural niceties here, but that doesn't change the fact that it happened. How she reacts to that - only time will tell. If you get another chance, maybe next time take $50 with you. You don't HAVE to spend it all just because its in your pocket ay! :wink:
I had more than $50, I paid for things earlier. I just didn't expect to foot the bill for her and her friend. I already handled it with her, but I appreciate everyone's helpful responses. Sometimes you have to learn through mistakes.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

Raider wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:13 pm
cambo swa wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:50 pm "Is this normal in Cambodia (she said all Cambodian men would pay for everything) or is she playing on the fact that I am foreign and have money?"

You had a total of $20 with you Mr. Foreigner with money. And she is playing you for what? That is precious!
Read my whole post, I already paid for drinks for her and I earlier. The $20 is all I had left when we met with her friend. Trust me I don't worry about money, I just didn't plan accordingly.
You don't have a credit card or a debit card to grab some more?

My girl is frugal and gives me advice on whether I need to pay for things. More often than not, she saves me a lot of money by telling me not to buy where I would throw it around more. She definitely doesn't need me to be a spendy guy to feel good about me for which I am fortunate.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

You are repling to a post from july so maybe no answers
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:53 pm
Steven wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:47 pm
Heng Heng Heng wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:44 pm Rule #2: A woman's company always costs money. No matter your age.
I disagree on that one. For fun maybe but I wouldn't consider a serious relationship with someone unwilling to pull it's own weight.
I loved him in Sexy Beast.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

frank lee bent wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:32 pm You are repling to a post from july so maybe no answers
We need more dating threads. :fool:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic