Finding a (relatively) straight answer on Work Permits?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
GTC7
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Finding a (relatively) straight answer on Work Permits?

Post by GTC7 »

Thank you all for the replies. Will be reading up and checking my options out, and praying Cambodian efficiency doesn't get in the way of things.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

GTC7 wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:58 amCambodian efficiency
8)
GTC7
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by GTC7 »

Hi everyone,

I'm curious to know if anyone has gone a process like this in Phnom Penh. Paying up the $800 isn't the issue, I just want things done correctly and relatively conveniently.
Hotdigr wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:47 am Ok, I can only relate to you my experience. I received my WP 3 weeks ago, so its fairly up to date.
About 3 months ago I walked into Mottah Travel in Sihanoukville to find out how to apply and what was needed. They looked at my passport and said that will cost you $800. $600 for the last 6 years + $100 for this current year + health check fee ( no actual health check) and agents fee's. They then copied my passport and all the visa's in it. I then paid them $800. 3 weeks ago I received my WP which has written on it " Own Business".
That was it, no other documentation needed but a copy of my Passport and Visa's.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

GTC7 wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:09 am Hi everyone,

I'm curious to know if anyone has gone a process like this in Phnom Penh. Paying up the $800 isn't the issue, I just want things done correctly and relatively conveniently.
Hotdigr wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:47 am Ok, I can only relate to you my experience. I received my WP 3 weeks ago, so its fairly up to date.
About 3 months ago I walked into Mottah Travel in Sihanoukville to find out how to apply and what was needed. They looked at my passport and said that will cost you $800. $600 for the last 6 years + $100 for this current year + health check fee ( no actual health check) and agents fee's. They then copied my passport and all the visa's in it. I then paid them $800. 3 weeks ago I received my WP which has written on it " Own Business".
That was it, no other documentation needed but a copy of my Passport and Visa's.
The ministry of labor in Phnom Penh denied me a work permit because I am self employed, but the local office of the ministry in my town made less of a fuss. I have one 1Y EOS in my passport from last year, my former passport has been damaged by my embassy and I told them. They charged me for this year, plus last year's B-EOS. They pocketed all the 'health fees' because I clearly looked healthy enough to them. It took about 5 weeks to receive the card, 'Own business' too. Fee 300 USD. I recommend to use a local department if available, but bring a translator if you don't speak Khmer.

edit: typo
GTC7
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by GTC7 »

Thanks for that. I speak conversationally fluentish, but have a lot of trouble reading and understanding proper Khmer so probably still a good idea to bring someone for translation.

What kind of documentation did you need for being self employed? Did they ask for proof? And what town are you in if you don't mind me asking?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic