What help do you expect from your Embassy?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
randompeeps
Expatriate

Re: What help do you expect from your Embassy?

Post by randompeeps »

British embassy are fucking useless.

Threatened with force by people claiming to be European police but refusing to identify themselves? Don't bother telling your embassy, the best they will do is write down a message for your next of kin in case you get murdered by fake police.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

taabarang wrote:CYA
Donkey rug?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

Was at the US embassy in Bangkok. There was two lines. One that went around the corner for Thai,s etc, and one short one for US citizens. I got in the small line, but the Thai guard at the gate was only letting Thai's, etc in. I told the guy behind me to stick close. I got next to the door and when it opened stuck my body in the way, waved the American passport in the guards face and told him that I was an American citizen on American soil and if he wanted me out of the way he better get the US Marine guard with guns. The guy and I were let in and the door slammed behind us.

The guards at the US embassy IN PP tried to keep me out as I didn't have an appointment as the embassy in an email said I didn't need one. I told him the same thing about being on American soil, armed US Marines etc. and waved a copy of the email from the embassy in his face. Was let in right away. Got inside the embassy and was given a Cambo to talk to (through bullet proof glass.) I told them to trot out an American as I was an America. They brought out an American all right. He was a raghead with a New York accent.
michael.stewart1
Expatriate
Russia

Post by michael.stewart1 »

so far the only embassies I have been to was the US and the Chinese embassies. I have to admit I felt the Chinese were more helpful than the Americans were. Then I am always excited when I am around Chinese. I love talking to them. whenever I speak Chinese to Chinese people they always talk back. I always wondered why people say Chinese aren't friendly. Once you start talking to them they are quite friendly. When I was in Thailand last month A Chinese girl was very talkative and smiley around me. I made the decision however if my girlfriend leaves me I will no longer date Asians and instead will date Slavs, Arabs, or Latinas. How I miss Brazilians Te Amo beijandos Brasileiras. So Far Brazil is the only country in the world I actually hate leaving. I cry every time i am on the airplane and see the plane fly away. Just something about Brazil that makes me want to party the moment I get off the plane.
PPMan
Tourist

Post by PPMan »

To clear up a common misconception, an Embassy is still host country soil. The US Embassy (and all foreign missions) are still sitting on Cambodian territory even if the Embassy owns the property. Cambodian laws apply unless there is an agreement in place to give the foreign mission control over some functions of the mission. In a nutshell....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Embassies are a facade to facilitate extravagant dinner parties.

Don't expect much. The US embassy is pretty good in many ways, but I haven't met many Brits who think they are well represented or assisted.

Ask yourself: how does one become an ambassador?

Hint: green stuff/contacts
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic