Parks in Phnom Penh for small children?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
britscienceteacher
Expatriate
Great Britain

Parks in Phnom Penh for small children?

Post by britscienceteacher »

Hi, I've got a seven year old son. I want to take him some fun, local places to play. First I would think about heading to the park or places like that. He likes to run around or play football (he got the taste for it with all the World Cup games), so if you know any large grassy area that would be perfect, or any small wooded area (for shade), even better. Alternatively if you know any good spots for small children or anything around the city that would give him some amusement I'd love know.

Thanks

James
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Parks in Phnom Penh for small children?

Post by StroppyChops »

britscienceteacher wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:55 pm Hi, I've got a seven year old son. I want to take him some fun, local places to play. First I would think about heading to the park or places like that. He likes to run around or play football (he got the taste for it with all the World Cup games), so if you know any large grassy area that would be perfect, or any small wooded area (for shade), even better. Alternatively if you know any good spots for small children or anything around the city that would give him some amusement I'd love know.

Thanks

James
I have absolutely no idea if it's any good, but there's a children's play area alongside Wat Phnom. Also, let him loose inside the grounds of Wat Phnom, but respectfully, obviously, and watch the monkeys as they gang up.

The strip of grassed area between the US Embassy and the Raffles is not a Good Place for young'uns come sun down, although might suit your needs during daylight.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

britscienceteacher wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:55 pm Hi, I've got a seven year old son. I want to take him some fun, local places to play. First I would think about heading to the park or places like that. He likes to run around or play football (he got the taste for it with all the World Cup games), so if you know any large grassy area that would be perfect, or any small wooded area (for shade), even better. Alternatively if you know any good spots for small children or anything around the city that would give him some amusement I'd love know.

Thanks

James
There aren't a whole lot of parks in Phnom Penh, at least not the type of parks you might commonly see in western cities. There are some tiled areas with grass, mostly in between roads. The grass in these places is weird, it's thick bushy stuff and not what you'd see on a football pitch or lawn. There's a long walkway along the riverfront, it's pleasant enough but you do have to watch out for weirdos and bums etc. Olympic Stadium is getting a bit blocked in but has been refurbished well and is a good place to play. My kid plays a lot of football, but mainly supervised coaching at a covered astroturf pitch. There are plenty of resorts and other facilities that cater to kids, like Kid's City, Fantastic Water World etc. The only grassy area I'll keep secret for now.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Thanks

James
Wat Botum Park
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Thanks

James

There's a small grassy area on riverside suitable for small kids but I think some idiot has planted a tree on it now but he could always learn how to climb trees.

Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
lostjeremy
Expatriate

Post by lostjeremy »

I take my kids to run around at one of the 3 main places at Koh Pich.
The park around city hall, the one across the street next to the driving range or the amusement park.
Usually go to the parks in the mornings/early afternoon as its still fairly peaceful then. Amusement place is only open after the evening though and can get too noisy for me so I let the wife deal with that one.

Sent from my CPH1605 using Tapatalk

Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

My 6 YO loves the Wat Phnom playground, after 3 PM there's usually a lot of children to play with, just teach the kid how to handle the monkeys to avoid being bitten.

In front of the palace there's also a nice place, feeding the pigeons and loads of room to play. Bring your own toys though.

Kids world on Sihanouk is also nice, but not free. Starts at 6-7 USD if I remember well and they will force you (OK, your kid) to buy a pair of socks if you don't bring your own. Went there once during a weekday in the morning and it was deserted. Next time I will go in the weekend or afternoon. Playing alone is fun for a while, but pretty quickly it becomes boring.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I took all the kids [ lost count of how many ] to Sinny swimming pool last week. It's a bit out of the way if you are in PP, but we are in Takhmau so not so far.

$2 each entry fee

Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
angkorjohn
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn »

Wat Phnom and Wat Botom both have got kids play areas - slides, swing, climbing frame etc, the Wat Botum one is newer and I the park is overall nicer as well.
britscienceteacher
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by britscienceteacher »

Thank you to everybody who replied. Very helpful.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic