Registering Moto - New Rule

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
GTC7
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Registering Moto - New Rule

Post by GTC7 »

^^That is true, but since when have rules and laws ever made sense here?

To add, when I was getting attempting to get my new bike registered, the office sent away the kid in front of me saying "You're ID is in Kampong Cham, go back to Kampong Cham and get your plate there.", as if riding a bike with no plate for 3 hours back to your hometown is somehow convenient.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

I'm in that group who has the card but not in my name and don't know how it can be transferred into my khmer brother in laws name without it being in my name first . Couldn't put it in my name because I'm barang previously just carried a copy of the card and not a problem now, well I guess the shit has hit the fan.
If anyone has found a work around for that problem please let me know.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
fatuousdrivel
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by fatuousdrivel »

Brody wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:06 pm
fatuousdrivel wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:51 pm In those situations the owner (family, wife etc) would simply pick it up.
I understand that, but what a pain in the ass. What if your wife is in Chbbar Ampouv and you get stopped way out at Aeon 2.

I'd be that 80% of moto drivers on the road right now are operating motos that do not have their name on the registration and maybe another high percentage that don't drive with the original registration card in their possession at all.
Well I’ve never heard of anyone having their Moto confiscated because ID is in the wrong name, particularly barang.
Maybe the op was a bit arsey with them or there’s something he’s not telling us?
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

agreed.
GTC7
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by GTC7 »

fatuousdrivel wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:54 pm
Brody wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:06 pm
fatuousdrivel wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:51 pm In those situations the owner (family, wife etc) would simply pick it up.
I understand that, but what a pain in the ass. What if your wife is in Chbbar Ampouv and you get stopped way out at Aeon 2.

I'd be that 80% of moto drivers on the road right now are operating motos that do not have their name on the registration and maybe another high percentage that don't drive with the original registration card in their possession at all.
Well I’ve never heard of anyone having their Moto confiscated because ID is in the wrong name, particularly barang.
Maybe the op was a bit arsey with them or there’s something he’s not telling us?
Or it could be that I didn't have the $10 on me to bribe my way out of the traffic stop. And I'll admit I was going the wrong way on the road at TTP market (forgetting it is supposed to be a one way roundabout) looking for some food when I got stopped, so I wasn't snatched out of thin air or not in the wrong.

Is there anything else you want to know?
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Most posters here are too upwardly mobile to accept my simple solution. I have no papers, no license or insurance. Why bother, it's a 20+ year old Honda Cub. When they pull me over with all their dire threats, I just get off. smile and say it's yours, take good care of it. They wave me on because no self respecting cop would be seen driving it and no resale value to speak of.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

taabarang wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:27 pm Most posters here are too upwardly mobile to accept my simple solution. I have no papers, no license or insurance. Why bother, it's a 20+ year old Honda Cub. When they pull me over with all their dire threats, I just get off. smile and say it's yours, take good care of it. They wave me on because no self respecting cop would be seen driving it and no resale value to speak of.
Well my bike is a larger and somewhat unique model for Cambodia and I have rebuilt the engine, brakes and put all new electronics as I was hoping to drive it till my end.

There have been articles here about the confiscation , at police check points , of lots of bikes for reasons like no license and/or no card in possession.

My wife has been checking around and my daughters friends father works for the department that i guess makes the cards and she was told that he could transfer it to my brother in laws name but yet to be tried.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

taabarang wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:27 pm Most posters here are too upwardly mobile to accept my simple solution. I have no papers, no license or insurance. Why bother, it's a 20+ year old Honda Cub. When they pull me over with all their dire threats, I just get off. smile and say it's yours, take good care of it. They wave me on because no self respecting cop would be seen driving it and no resale value to speak of.
Agreed. My Step had already been dropped and scratched when I bought it, and looks pretty rough. It runs well, but I deliberately leave it looking second-rate to make it less attractive to thieves/boleeh.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
fatuousdrivel
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by fatuousdrivel »

20+ Honda Cubs are worth quite a bit of money, not so much here but in the West.
$1500 upwards for a round headlight pre 80’s model.

I bought a new moto two years ago. A Keeway and the dealer kept telling me it was Italian made by Benelli. Even though I serviced it regular the thing fell apart. Absolute piece of shite.
I gave it to the neighbours kid who tried to give it back!

So anyway. $10 fine and now you’ve lost the bike. Good move batman.
GTC7
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by GTC7 »

fatuousdrivel wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:26 pm 20+ Honda Cubs are worth quite a bit of money, not so much here but in the West.
$1500 upwards for a round headlight pre 80’s model.
Last I checked the pre 80's Cubs weren't more than $500-600 a few months ago.

fatuousdrivel wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:26 pm
So anyway. $10 fine and now you’ve lost the bike. Good move batman.
Shit happens. Went out for a burger with $5 in my pocket, came home on foot. Live and learn.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic