Thanks to Chinese Dams, Electricity in Cambodia is becoming Plentiful and Inexpensive

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Thanks to Chinese Dams, Electricity in Cambodia is becoming Plentiful and Inexpensive

Post by Anchor Moy »

:o Interesting and informative article here from Fresh News Cambodia. It's good to know that we have better and cheaper electricity in Cambodia now.

Chinese-built Hydropower Station Ensures Electricity Access for Cambodian Families
20/07/18 20:32
Phnom Penh (FN), July 20 – A Chinese-built hydropower station in Koh Kong province has not only brought low-cost electricity to a growing number of remote homes, but also created promising job opportunities for local residents.

The lower Stung Russei Chrum hydropower station, constructed by power giant China Huadian Corp, is one of the largest and most advanced hydropower stations in Cambodia.

The facility began operations in 2015 and has an installed capacity of 338,000 kilowatts, generating 30% of the country's total electricity output during peak periods.

In 2017, 7.4 billion kilowatt hours of electricity was produced in Cambodia, which is a 12-fold increase compared to 2002, and much of the country is now connected to the national electricity grid.

"I hope that the country will develop at a faster pace and every household in Cambodia will benefit and their standard of living will be improved," said Keat Makara, a Cambodian employee at the China Huadian Lower Stung Russei Chrum Hydro Electric Project.

"We used to experience power outages from time to time when relying on Thailand-imported electricity. But when Huadian has come to invest, we now have more stable and cheaper power supplies and even the remote areas are grid-connected,” said a local villager.

Le Jianhua, the general manager of China Huadian Lower Stung Russei Chrum Hydro Electric Project Cambodia Company Limited, is proud to see the positive changes they have brought.

"Huadian came to Cambodia under the guidance of the Belt and Road Initiative. After all those years, we have been helping Cambodia to become independent instead of relying on imported power. Local electricity prices have declined evidently, from $0.40 per kilowatt hour to less than $0.20. The quality of the electricity has also improved significantly. We hope that through the joint efforts of our Chinese and Cambodian employees, we can help Cambodians live a better life,” the general manager said.
http://en.freshnewsasia.com/index.php/e ... 01-38.html
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Re: Thanks to Chinese Dams, Electricity in Cambodia is becoming Plentiful and Inexpensive

Post by bolueeleh »

all hail new master

Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Thanks to Chinese Dams, Electricity in Cambodia is becoming Plentiful and Inexpensive

Post by John Bingham »

Anchor Moy wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:19 pm It's good to know that we have better and cheaper electricity in Cambodia now.
I'm sure your post was slightly tongue in cheek, however we do have much a more reliable supply in the capital since they started importing power from Vietnam about 10 years ago. I'm not sure where the lines from these new hydroelectric plants are going, I imagine much of it is bound for export or has the grid improved much in Kratie/ Stung Treng etc? I don't recall the price of pleurng ever going down though!
Silence, exile, and cunning.
fatuousdrivel
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by fatuousdrivel »

Two weeks ago we, In Sihanoukville, were getting multiple power cuts every week.
Not had any since then.

Similarly no one starts a post on FB or the forums complaining about being pulled over by the “corrupt” police.

Westerners are a dying breed.
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Post by Felgerkarb »

The chocolate ration has been increased from 15g to 20g per week.
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

Felgerkarb wrote:The chocolate ration has been increased from 15g to 20g per week.
And thankfully everyone forgot it used to be 30g.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

kampot is certainly feeling the full effects of the sinohydro dam
thanks?
not sure.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Luxuries come at a cost
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

That is really good news. Tonle Sap might be dying, fishing and farming will be severely affected but at least I can charge my mobile phone on the cheap :clap: :clap: :clap:
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

hanno wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:21 am That is really good news. Tonle Sap might be dying, fishing and farming will be severely affected but at least I can charge my mobile phone on the cheap :clap: :clap: :clap:

Dont worry, I think God has it all under control. He has turned the taps on and the heavens have opened up . There is a great flow of water rushing into the Tonlie Sap right now.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic