Registering Moto - New Rule

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: Registering Moto - New Rule

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:24 pm
If you have a spouse, partner or someone you trust, who is a Cambodian citizen, you may register in their name.
This being said, there is no current law that states you must be the registered owner of the vehicle you are driving.
when i went up to PP to buy a Honda Dream last year, one of my oldest Khmer friends who i trust came along and she also brought one of her friends who knows his bikes too (for inspection purposes), registered the bike in her name and got it plated etc, no issues and was glad i took her along tbh, she was always asking lots of questions and the sellers were quite honest about which bikes had cards, were stolen, knackered, where as if id of gone by myself, they would have probably just sold the bike without saying anything and id of had problems down the line
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

.MOTO ANNOUNCEMENT

A recent law has been passed that denies any foreigner from registering a moto in his/her name. It is no longer possible to become a registered owner of a used moto if you do not obtain Cambodian citizenship.
The only exception being, when foreigners purchase a brand new, or newly imported moto being registered for the first time.
I've seen a number of moto dealer ads for 2nd hand motos which says things like 'new.. have tax from japan' and the pics of the moto shows no plates.

Is it fair to assume:
  • the moto has been imported from japan and not previously registered in Cambodia
  • associated import tax or duty has been paid already
  • a foreigner could get it registered in their name based on the above
If so, does anyone know what are the costs to get it registered and plated in your name? Or, is that something you get the dealer to do and include as part of the purchase price?
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

clutchcargo wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:21 pm
.MOTO ANNOUNCEMENT

A recent law has been passed that denies any foreigner from registering a moto in his/her name. It is no longer possible to become a registered owner of a used moto if you do not obtain Cambodian citizenship.
The only exception being, when foreigners purchase a brand new, or newly imported moto being registered for the first time.
I've seen a number of moto dealer ads for 2nd hand motos which says things like 'new.. have tax from japan' and the pics of the moto shows no plates.

Is it fair to assume:
  • the moto has been imported from japan and not previously registered in Cambodia
  • associated import tax or duty has been paid already
  • a foreigner could get it registered in their name based on the above
If so, does anyone know what are the costs to get it registered and plated in your name? Or, is that something you get the dealer to do and include as part of the purchase price?
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:33 pm
If you have a spouse, partner or someone you trust, who is a Cambodian citizen, you may register in their name.
This being said, there is no current law that states you must be the registered owner of the vehicle you are driving.

when i went up to PP to buy a Honda Dream last year, one of my oldest Khmer friends who i trust came along and she also brought one of her friends who knows his bikes too (for inspection purposes), registered the bike in her name and got it plated etc, no issues and was glad i took her along tbh, she was always asking lots of questions and the sellers were quite honest about which bikes had cards, were stolen, knackered, where as if id of gone by myself, they would have probably just sold the bike without saying anything and id of had problems down the line
Don't see any problems with that agreement. What will you do with the moto when you return to work! Would you sell it on in obviously now the girls name. Or keep it, letting her use and have the same moto on the next return?

I had bought a new moto last year, the registration was included in the overall sale price. The shop salesmen also needed my Cambodian driving license and also a copy of my passport and current valid visa.
As also someone enquired about dealers selling with no tax! I think this is the import tax, if you buy I would think that the tax is down to the buyer and unable to register until it's payed.
Registration in your name is a must for insurance. Any one have information on who in Cambodia will insure a westerner?
Always "hope" but never "expect".
elguapo
Tourist
Canada

Post by elguapo »

Any updates on this from anyone with first hand experience? Is it actually required to transfer the registration within 90 days or are you ok to ride around with the ownership card in a previous owners name?
When purchasing a used moto would you just have the previous owner sign a bill of sale stating that they've sold you the bike?
Are there any annual taxes or other requirements for motos like there are for cars?
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

elguapo wrote:Any updates on this from anyone with first hand experience? Is it actually required to transfer the registration within 90 days or are you ok to ride around with the ownership card in a previous owners name?
When purchasing a used moto would you just have the previous owner sign a bill of sale stating that they've sold you the bike?
Are there any annual taxes or other requirements for motos like there are for cars?
As foreigners can't register a previously registered used bike in their name, the 90 days rule doesn't make much sense. Never heard, nor ever had any problems owning bikes with other people's name on the registration.

Ideally you would get a copy of the sellers national ID, at least one previous tax sticker/receipt, import tax receipt or registration receipt, the registration card, and make a bill of sale (it's easy to get a proforma version, the seller will provide) that is signed and thumbprinted by you, the seller, and a witness, and include telephone numbers of each person.

Bikes up to 125cc do not require annual road tax, those above do. Can be obtained at ACLEDA bank by showing the previous years tax sticker and paying the fee. Around 5000៛ iirc.
elguapo
Tourist
Canada

Post by elguapo »

epidemiks wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:45 pm
elguapo wrote:Any updates on this from anyone with first hand experience? Is it actually required to transfer the registration within 90 days or are you ok to ride around with the ownership card in a previous owners name?
As foreigners can't register a previously registered used bike in their name, the 90 days rule doesn't make much sense. Never heard, nor ever had any problems owning bikes with other people's name on the registration.

Ideally you would get a copy of the sellers national ID, at least one previous tax sticker/receipt, import tax receipt or registration receipt, the registration card, and make a bill of sale (it's easy to get a proforma version, the seller will provide) that is signed and thumbprinted by you, the seller, and a witness, and include telephone numbers of each person.

Bikes up to 125cc do not require annual road tax, those above do. Can be obtained at ACLEDA bank by showing the previous years tax sticker and paying the fee. Around 5000៛ iirc.
Thanks!
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

epidemiks wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:45 pm

I thought they ended the annual road tax for motos a couple of years back ?
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
GTC7
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by GTC7 »

I had my scooter confiscated a few months ago because I was not on the owner card, and the police wont return it for the same reason.

Not saying most wont have problems, but things are changing around here and paying a small slap on the wrist and being carefree isn't always the way it's done anymore.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

you go now
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

GTC7 wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:34 pm I had my scooter confiscated a few months ago because I was not on the owner card, and the police wont return it for the same reason.

Not saying most wont have problems, but things are changing around here and paying a small slap on the wrist and being carefree isn't always the way it's done anymore.
yep who wants chum change of 5$ when now po po can get hundreds more by detaining ur bike, landscape in this country is mostly changed by greed
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic