Will THE PHNOM PENH POST be the Next English Newspaper to be Shut Down in Cambodia? (UPDATE)

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Re: Will THE PHNOM PENH POST be the Next English Newspaper to be Shut Down in Cambodia? (UPDATE)

Post by that genius »

Felgerkarb wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 8:45 am Should have played ball. Waiting to find out what was really going on and reported on that (what stories down the line were crushed, altered, etc..), Instead we have only a veneer of the truth. Excellent journalism. Quit in a huff, well played.
Good riddance.
My sentiments exactly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Will THE PHNOM PENH POST be the Next English Newspaper to be Shut Down in Cambodia? (UPDATE)

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Voice from another time: the memories of an old subscriber to the Phnom Penh Post.

By Milton Osborne, 11 May 2018
Courageous voice for truth silenced in Cambodia
I first read a copy of The Phnom Penh Post in 1994, the year I returned to Phnom Penh after a long absence, and in doing so met Michael Hayes, the paper’s co-founder and editor.

I was far from a newcomer to the city, having first lived in Phnom Penh in 1959–60 and visited regularly between 1966 and 1971. But in 1994 I was returning to the country for the first time since 1981.

Well before arriving in 1994 I had heard of a new English-language newspaper appearing in Phnom Penh, and soon after arriving I made a beeline to the Post’s shabbily basic offices near Wat Botum to meet a rather frazzled Hayes and a much more outwardly relaxed Kathleen O’Keefe, co-founder of the Post and Hayes’s wife...
https://www.lowyinstitute.org/the-inter ... d-cambodia

See also: https://www.lowyinstitute.org/the-inter ... ss-freedom
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

The new owner of the Phnom Penh Post speaks out:

PPPost rescued, says new owner
19 May 2018
Siva Kumar, the new publisher of the Phnom Penh Post (PPP), addressed the press on Friday, May 18. He explained that his purchase of the 26 year-old newspaper company was not only a sound commercial decision but also a rescue mission to save it from possible bankruptcy.

“The takeover of the paper is to continue the legacy of The Phnom Penh Post, which stands for fair and balanced reporting and commentary, and upholding true journalistic value.”

In these days of “false news,” a highly esteemed media organization such as The Phnom Penh Post, which publishes in English and in Khmer, must hold its journalists responsible and accountable for their actions.

His statement went on: “The technical takeover was on May 4, and I had left it in good faith to Bill [Bill Clough, the previous owner] to make the announcements to the staff as I was not available for a joint statement. Quite surprisingly, the announcement led to what I considered to be a rocky start, leaving me with Post staff that was left in a state of confusion due to misreporting and allegations made by the media which had cast a negative overlay on this takeover.”

Mr Siva, who started his career as a cadet reporter in Malaysia in 1976 and is now a managing director of Malaysia-based AsiaPR SDN BHD, said that his priority at PPP is to keep it in print, thus saving it from serious financial harm.

“I wish to stress at this juncture that, had I not purchased the Phnom Penh Post, the newspapers would probably have had to be shut down due to the financial situation and pending conflicts with its previous CEO; … the fate of the 160-odd employees would have been hanging in limbo,” he said.
http://www.tourismcambodia.com/news/loc ... -owner.htm
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

I'm very glad someone with vision had taken over the Post. Billy Clough is not a journo.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

'Phnom Penh Post' poised for another sale

Chinese property group reportedly to take control of loss-making newspaper after Malaysian's brief reign

The Phnom Penh Post is about to be sold again, this time to a Chinese property group with extensive interests in Cambodia, ending a brief reign by controversial Malaysian businessman Sivakumar S. Ganapathy (Siva), according to news reports.

Prince Real Estate Group is expected to take control of the newspaper but the company has declined to comment on speculation that an announcement could be made on July 17.
Siva alluded in local media that a sale had taken place after his name was removed from the masthead two weeks ago amid speculation he was backed by outside funding sources that included Malaysian conglomerate MRails Group, retired Malaysian politician Taib Mahmud and a senior Khmer businessman with close ties to the government.

https://www.ucanews.com/news/phnom-penh ... sale/82826
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

And this Chinese group will be independent??????
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

They will independently convert the English daily to a Chinese weekly targeting the Chinese speaking realestate market and probably triple their audience. If they buy the Kim Jung Post it's probably cheaper than to start new? It's not like the Dead End Post does journalism anyway...
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

They say everyone has a price. For confirmation ask Jimmy Crow. Anyway/I wonder if CEO will soon stand for Chinese expats online.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

On second thought maybe Jimmy Crow could grease The General's palms with a few mil and start Caucasian expats online. Let the bidding begin behind discretely tinted windows with black help filling champagne into exquisite stemware.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Jimmy Crow
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Jimmy Crow »

Confederate expats online sounds immaculate .
Everyone is equal. Everyone has a place. No one is written off, because there is worth and goodness in every life... That is the Republican ideal. And if we won't defend it, who will?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic