Martial Arts in Phnom Penh

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
R.G
Tourist
Germany

Martial Arts in Phnom Penh

Post by R.G »

Hi,
I just recently arrived in Phnom Penh and am slowly getting settled in. I have been on the search for a good fight club. Preferably Muay Thai, Khmer Boxing, MMA or anything interesting and full contact. I heard a lot about Prokout, Paddys Gym, and the K1 fitness & fight factory, however, it was all information from 2015. Can anyone please give me an updated list or recommend a couple of good fight clubs for me.

Thank you

Roland
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: Martial Arts in Phnom Penh

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

R.G wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:09 pm Hi,
I just recently arrived in Phnom Penh and am slowly getting settled in. I have been on the search for a good fight club. Preferably Muay Thai, Khmer Boxing, MMA or anything interesting and full contact. I heard a lot about Prokout, Paddys Gym, and the K1 fitness & fight factory, however, it was all information from 2015. Can anyone please give me an updated list or recommend a couple of good fight clubs for me.

Thank you

Roland
i usually train down at Prokout, has good modern facilities there, used to train at Paddys which was my favourite place but hes moved on, he still teaches 1 on 1 if you catch him when hes in Cambodia, usually Siem Reap though, hes mainly based in Thailand now i think,
there is a Gym Tharot Sam recommended to me out near the Olympic Stadium but not had chance to check it out yet, but looks like my sort of gym, but yeah i do like Prokout, dont do any classes there but go down and hit the bag for an hour or do some sparring with a friend, $5 for the day
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Rathana (the One FC fighter) runs Selapak https://www.facebook.com/Selapakambodia/

I wish we had more full contact options. There's Taekwondo and Judo for the pussies.
Gator
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Gator »

H/Art Academy is a great place for Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Prokout is good for getting some pad rounds in and then doing your own workout. Depending on your size there's a couple of coaches there who will spar with you after you've shown up a couple times and they get to know you.
Cougar.hunter
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cougar.hunter »

fax wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:06 pm Rathana (the One FC fighter) runs Selapak https://www.facebook.com/Selapakambodia/

I wish we had more full contact options. There's Taekwondo and Judo for the pussies.
Judo is pretty tough buddy I would consider that pussfied martial art lol. Now taekwondo, we’ll thats another story....
Cougar.hunter
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cougar.hunter »

These are the two martial arts I would recommend through personal experience at the Olympic Stadium

Judo: Judo is basically free, the only time you pay is when you purchase a uniform or join a compitition. It’s 7 days a week with two classes 3:30pm-5:30pm/5:30pm-7:30pm

Western boxing: For boxing, it’s 6 days a week with two classes from 6:30am-8:30am/2:30pm-4:30pm. Saturday class is only in the morning. There’s also a boxing coach there that teaches at selapak which is located near toul sleng. This is one of the many clubs you’ll find known khmer fighters fighting in Thailand on Thai Fights and SEA games; it’s the real deal.

Both clubs have fighters training at mma places like selapak or top team. At my boxing gym there are also pradal serey (like Muay Thai) that starts class around 4:00pm. Also, adjacent to the judo club is a freestyle wrestling club if your interested in that.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic