Trying to live off 1100USD a month in Cambodia?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Gardiguy
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Trying to live off 1100USD a month in Cambodia?

Post by Gardiguy »

I spend around $700/month and that's with going out drinking(beer) once a night and eating out 1 or 2 times a week. I eat very healthy, pay for my own internet, and enjoy life all around. Definitely doable depending on your own personality.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

michael.stewart1 wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:41 am Is 1100 a month sufficient for a person to survive in Cambodia? Let's say the individual is 40, single, no health problems, like to spend all day playing PC games, likes to cook homemade meals, and the only time they talk to anyone is when they are at the supermarket buying food. let's say the individual never uses air conditioning, does not watch TV, does not drink and walks everywhere. Let's say this individual wants to live in Kompong Chnnang, Mondulkiri or Ratanakiri province.
Living in Kampong Chnang in April-May without AC spending your day gaming will be quite a challenge weatherwise. Can be pretty hot there, to put it mildly. Much easier in RTK or MDK if you can handle the remoteness.

Your problem won't be the money but the paperwork to stay. I've not heard of a 'Gamers EOS yet' so you will have to do visa runs or try to get G extensions one after another.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

it's chinatown Jake
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Beerinthemorning »

1100$ could be alot of pineapples.
Gumby
Expatriate
Madagascar

Post by Gumby »

You can rent a room in Sen Monorom for $60 a month. No need for air con all year round.

Nothing to do there but that seems to be what you want.
jmagic
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by jmagic »

A single person who doesn't spend money on booze and other temptations, and limits transport costs can live well on about $600. If said individual does as you describe, he or she could easily save a few hundred a month. :beer3:
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

1100$ could be alot of pineapples.
the kid has grown up/
take him off preview
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Gardiguy wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:43 amdrinking(beer) once a night
Can't be much beer you are drinking.....
Jimmy Crow
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Jimmy Crow »

$1100 is really really low and I really wonder who can live on such a low amount as a foreigner from a 1st world country,if you can only afford 250$ a month for rent then I suggest you go back to your first world country,my villa is $6000 a Month,my monthly dining amounts to $1700 and my medical insurance is $1880 so when I hear you guys sustain yourself on $1100 I really wonder about your quality of living in Cambodia,why on earth would you come to a third world country and live like a peasant,my new verdict on western foreigners in Cambodia is this:cheap Charlie’s who could not make a way in their country and chose to come to Cambodia to live on cheap beer,meth and recycled hookers whilst residing in a tiled wall,moggy looking apartment with cheap second hand AC units and gas stoves lol.

Step your game up boys,while you are living like Somalian pirates ,expats like myself are looking at you from our tinted windows in our luxury vehicles and waking up to the best quality asian women whom are not working girls,don’t give our white race a bad name by being cheap ,broke,low class and white .

When asians look at us they expect us to be well groomed and financially well off so please think about your appearance,net worth and what you want from life.
Everyone is equal. Everyone has a place. No one is written off, because there is worth and goodness in every life... That is the Republican ideal. And if we won't defend it, who will?
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

hanno wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:52 am
Gardiguy wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:43 amdrinking(beer) once a night
Can't be much beer you are drinking.....
It could be if he is learning off Beerinthemorning.
SCROUNGING.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic