What did you expect when you came to live here?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: What did you expect when you came to live here?

Post by Kammekor »

I came here to try to improve state education in the boonies, and to see if I could survive here without all the Western amenities.

The first part was quite an effort, and I don't think I made a major change, but the second part was more successful. While this country is pretty fucked up and will remain fucked up for quite a long time I have enjoyed every day here. Living on the edge of civilization and trying to remain under the radar contributes to that. So does being able to speak the local Lingo beyond 'hello' and 'I boxing you long time'.

Just extended my visa so I will stay another year.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

more of the preceding 6 years i had seen for the 100 days i saw prior to coming to live
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Hotdigr wrote: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:02 am the water is not drinkable , no sewage system let alone garbage collection...
What country was he talking about? It couldn't have been here.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:13 am
Hotdigr wrote: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:02 am the water is not drinkable , no sewage system let alone garbage collection...
What country was he talking about? It couldn't have been here.
Pretty spot on for my place, so could be here..... There's a lot to explore outside the Penh.
fatuousdrivel
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by fatuousdrivel »

Hotdigr wrote: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:02 am So you made your choice to move to Cambodia.
Which,according to all statistics,is one of the poorest nations in the world.
With all the endemic problems that go with that fact. Lack of infrastructure,corruption in the govt. no real stability in any facet of life. People who are POOR FFS.
Now you whinge an whine on Facebook and the various forums about life here - the power supply is intermittent ( at best), the police are corrupt and incapable, the women are just out to fleece you for all the money they can get, the roads suck, the water is not drinkable , no sewage system let alone garbage collection, the other foreigners here are all a bunch of drunk/drug fuked/sex addicted no hopers that can not be trusted, the khmers are lazy no hopers as well and are to be trusted even less then that western druggie at the bar, the food sux and the service is even worse and GODDAM those pushy moto dops and tuk tuk drivers because if I have to smile an say "Otay Arkun" one more time today to these locals who are trying to make a living and feed their families for a month on what use to be my hourly rate ( not overtime mind you, not for THAT pissy rate!) I'm going to go postal and .........so on.....ad nauseaum.
So come on, 'fess up now.... what did you really expect when you moved here?
I read this and thought to myself it’s quite apt then realised it was posted four years ago!

Nothing changes then.
Heng Heng Heng
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by Heng Heng Heng »

I thought the streets would paved with gold. That I would be carried in a sedan by my harem of dusky beauties, was fed fat purple grapes, and protected by my personal pride of black panthers. I thought it would be like living in a musical where every now and then people would burst in to song and life would be heavenly. That fucking travel agent! When I get back home, I'll beat his lying ass.
Last edited by Heng Heng Heng on Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is the voice of the Mysterons. We know that you can hear us Earthmen.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

I actually thought it was a shit place to move to, but it's grown on me.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

fatuousdrivel
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by fatuousdrivel »

Barang chgout wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:35 am I actually thought it was a shit place to move to, but it's grown on me.

Me too.
I liked its edgyness and grime. The last bastion of the old SE Asia.

Ok so it’s not like it was in the 90s but that was a long time ago.
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Beerinthemorning »

fatuousdrivel wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:42 am
Barang chgout wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:35 am I actually thought it was a shit place to move to, but it's grown on me.

Me too.
I liked its edgyness and grime. The last bastion of the old SE Asia.

Ok so it’s not like it was in the 90s but that was a long time ago.
The old SEA is long gone.
Raider
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Raider »

The American Government told me it was going to be a shithole and I was going to get attacked by gangs. Also, that meth using women would beg me for a $5 boom boom. So far only the later is true and you can't beat the attitude of the locals. Kind of wish some of the downtown area in PP wasn't so hipster infested though.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic