Thailand tourist number take a hit

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Thailand tourist number take a hit

Post by Soi Dog »

25% drop in number from China. Ouch.
Bangkokpost.com wrote:Tourist arrivals still falling
Published: 16 Aug 2014 at 11.32

The number of international tourists arriving in Thailand in July fell 10.9% from a year earlier, according to data from the Department of Tourism, showing the industry has not recovered from the impact of prolonged political tension.

The lucrative tourism sector, which accounts for about 10% of the economy, suffered its biggest drop in visitors in June - the first full month after the army took power on May 22 in a bid to end tensions and get economic activity going again.

International arrivals in July totalled 1.91 million, compared with 1.56 million in June and 2.15 million in July 2013, according to data posted on the department's website late Friday.

Arrivals from China, the country's single biggest visitor source accounting for 18% of all tourists in July, tumbled 25.3%.

For the first seven months of the year, international arrivals totalled 13.62 million, down 10.7% from 15.26 million a year earlier, an even steeper drop than the first-half decline of 9.9%.

By region, arrivals from East Asia were down 17.6% for the first seven months of 2014 from a year earlier. Arrivals were up 3.1% from Europe and 9.6% from Africa. Declines were seen from the Americas (3.5%), the Middle East (6.9%), South Asia (10%) and Oceania (1.6%).

Arrivals from Asean, which account for 26.8% of all foreign tourists, were down 9.8%.

Among large individual markets, Malaysia accounted for 9.8% of all visitors to Thailand and arrivals through July were down 19.9% from a year earlier to 1.34 million. Visitors from Japan (5% of the total) were down 21%, South Korea (4.6% share) declined 17%, the United States (3.3% share) fell 5.2% and Australian arrivals (3.6% share) were off 1.1%.

The United Kingdom, with a 4% share of all visitors to Thailand, was one of the few large markets to record a gain, of 6.2%.
http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/tou ... -fall-10-9
0to60
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Thailand tourist number take a hit

Post by 0to60 »

Though I've been telling all my Chinese friends that Cambodia is better than Thailand, I can't take all the credit. :ROFL2:
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Who wants to leave one country heavily controlled by military presence and state censorship just to visit another?
0to60
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by 0to60 »

I've been here 5 years and haven't seen a soldier yet. Camo is quite fashionable though. But they're wearing shower shoes or high heels with a camo mini skirt. :ROFL2:
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

0to60 wrote:I've been here 5 years and haven't seen a soldier yet.
don't worry... they see you. ;-)
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

0to60 wrote:I've been here 5 years and haven't seen a soldier yet.
Granted this was nearly 10 years ago, but one of my first trips to PP I first stayed in the (now vacant) Heaven Hotel. It had a fishbowl style massage parlor next door to my room with maybe a dozen girls at any give time. One night I heard some commotion and yelling through the walls. I looked out to see a handful of local soldiers had barged into the fishbowl area, each grabbing the girl of their choice by the hair and dragging them forcefully into the surrounding empty rooms. Apparently the truck pulled up and the uniformed soldiers stormed the place with impunity.
0to60
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by 0to60 »

LoL, when I met the old lady her mama said I was a spy and that the Nintendo I gave the kid might be a bomb.

Soi Dog, I'm living in a country town in China. I'll be changing my flag soon though, 10 more days :Yahoo!:
Last edited by 0to60 on Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

0to60 wrote:LoL, when I met the old lady her mama said I was a spy and that the Nintendo I gave the kid might be a bomb.
you are, and it is... ;-)
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Article with a positive spin on it .
BANGKOK: -- Department of Tourism says foreign tourists are returning to the country with arrivals last month gradually rose to 1.91 million from 1.56 million in June.

However when compared with the same month in July last year, arrivals still fell 10.9%, it said.
It said the number of foreign tourists arriving in Thailand in July this year fell 10.9% from a year earlier.
But compared with 1.56 million arrivals in June this year, July’s arrivals of 1.91 million represented improved tourism situation.
By region, arrivals from East Asia were down 17.6% for the first seven months of 2014 from a year earlier. Arrivals are up 3.1% from Europe and 9.6% from Africa. Declines were seen from the Americas (3.5%), the Middle East (6.9%), South Asia (10%) and Oceania (1.6%).
http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/touris ... gradually/

Chinese love to shop & eat thats why they go to Thailand.

I expect a full on high season staring in Oct
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
taranis
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by taranis »

404 Not Known
Last edited by taranis on Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
God Forgives. I don't!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic