BugZone: Nothing's perfect...

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: BugZone: Nothing's perfect...

Post by StroppyChops »

timmydownawell wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:26 pm
StroppyChops wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:33 pm
General Mackevili wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:24 pm
Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote:Firefox.
Thanks. I'm guessing we missed it because we checked it with Chrome. Let us know if anything looks crazy again.
This is genuinely not fanboi-ism as I'm a Chrome man myself, but with the latest releases of each, Firefox is now considered the more stable and mature browser, and many Chrome die-hards are reverting. Just my 2c.
I've used Firefox all along, I was actually amazed to see how much Chrome was dominating the market. I thought 'I may as well be a Netscape user'.
I Googled the Chrome vs Firefox thing after posting and it seems that Chrome still has a very marginal lead, but Firefox is accelerating so quickly that it's likely to have taken the lead since the numbers have been crunched. The primary driver is that Mozilla did a complete rewrite on Firefox, partially to exploit multiple cores better.

Oddly, if you use the online Work Permit portal, it will not function to completion on Firefox, but will on Chrome, although there will be no dialog boxes or other information to tell you what's going wrong. Learned this the hard way. The final three documents won't upload in Firefox, but may appear to. Obviously a lack of cross-browser functionality testing there.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

StroppyChops wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:30 pm
Oddly, if you use the online Work Permit portal, it will not function to completion on Firefox, but will on Chrome, although there will be no dialog boxes or other information to tell you what's going wrong. Learned this the hard way. The final three documents won't upload in Firefox, but may appear to. Obviously a lack of cross-browser functionality testing there.
Yeah, that's the issue. Most things are mainly checked against Chrome or Safari, so Firefox gets overlooked or looked into later. And not to mention poor Netscape Navigator....
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

I Googled the Chrome vs Firefox thing after posting and it seems that Chrome still has a very marginal lead
? Check here: https://netmarketshare.com/browser-mark ... 1000%22%7D.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

timmydownawell wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:15 pm
I Googled the Chrome vs Firefox thing after posting and it seems that Chrome still has a very marginal lead
Wow, you're right. And I'm so very wrong - I went and checked a few other sources, as well, and they say the same as your link. I must have been reading fake news.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

StroppyChops wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:38 pm
Wow, you're right. And I'm so very wrong - I went and checked a few other sources, as well, and they say the same as your link. I must have been reading fake news.
Yeah it's a pretty sad state of affairs when the second most popular browser is IE and it's only on 12% and you're third on 11. Although they don't include Edge's 4% in the IE figure. Still a ridiculous domination by Chrome. Android phones would be the #1 reason though.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

timmydownawell wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:45 pm
Yeah it's a pretty sad state of affairs when the second most popular browser is IE and it's only on 12% and you're third on 11. Although they don't include Edge's 4% in the IE figure. Still a ridiculous domination by Chrome. Android phones would be the #1 reason though.
Agreed - although I looked at the Desktop (only) stats on your link, and they're about the same.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

StroppyChops wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:47 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:45 pm
Agreed - although I looked at the Desktop (only) stats on your link, and they're about the same.
Well spotted. That's also surprising. Google really are masters of market domination aren't they.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Wow, I would have assumed Safari is ranked MUCH higher.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

General Mackevili wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:06 pm Wow, I would have assumed Safari is ranked MUCH higher.
Oh shush now, the adults are talking! :wink:
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

StroppyChops wrote:
General Mackevili wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:06 pm Wow, I would have assumed Safari is ranked MUCH higher.
Oh shush now, the adults are talking! :wink:
Same old tired debate. A lot of the corporate stuff is written and only checked to run on Chrome because of lazy programmers. So forced to use chrome. Same as the rest of the corporate PC world writing programs in Windows XP because of laziness and the creating a wrapper so it can run on all the machines.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic