Complaints about Bad Quality New Borey Houses: Phnom Penh

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Complaints about Bad Quality New Borey Houses: Phnom Penh

Post by Bubble T »

Similar story here. I'm renting a brand new house in Chip Mong Land and over the past couple of weeks I've become massively grateful that I'm just renting and didn't buy it. Roof leaked when it rained, sending water into the top floor room I keep as an office, the water missing my desk (with all my computers on it) by about 2 meters. Leaky window in the bedroom on the floor below that. Cracks appearing in the walls. It's been enough to convince Ms Bubble that buying a house made out of materials that were chosen to turn a quick profit isn't actually a great long term plan.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Felgerkarb wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:25 pm
I admit maybe not ALL are shite
:thumb: I know of 3 CEO posters currently living in one of the better Borey conglomerates. Hopefully they'll contribute their experiences. That would carry more weight with me than comments from some pseudo-contruction aficionado doing a drive through. (not Felg)
Felgerkarb wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:25 pm One of the major problems is that a lot of these sites are on reclaimed land, which should take 5 to 7 years after filling in with sand to settle.
This is an excellent point and I would hazard a guess that 80% of the larger Boreys fall into this category.
Gilmore
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Gilmore »

I moved into a new rented villa in Borey Peng Huoth Platinum section on Thursday. No complaints at all about the quality, price or ambience. The owner had a team of workers attending to all the finer details before I moved in and they are still putting in the final touches.
However, I received a visit 3 hours ago from 2 guys claiming to be cops, though they had no IDs or uniforms. They were demanding an exorbitant price for 3 fire extinguishers, one for each floor, with implied threats I would be given a hard time if I didn't pay up. Unfortunately for them, my landlord, who also owned my previous place in Tonle Bassac, is a very high ranking cop. A quick call to him put an end to that scam.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Brody wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:38 pm
Felgerkarb wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:25 pm
I admit maybe not ALL are shite
:thumb: I know of 3 CEO posters currently living in one of the better Borey conglomerates. Hopefully they'll contribute their experiences. That would carry more weight with me than comments from some pseudo-contruction aficionado doing a drive through. (not Felg)
Felgerkarb wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:25 pm One of the major problems is that a lot of these sites are on reclaimed land, which should take 5 to 7 years after filling in with sand to settle.
This is an excellent point and I would hazard a guess that 80% of the larger Boreys fall into this category.
Our previous place falls into this description - in the two years we were there, it tilted about 5 degrees, causing an almighty crack in the back room, and preventing the shower water from running to waste. The land had been swamp when the most recent Google Earth photos were taken.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Heng Heng Heng
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by Heng Heng Heng »

I always wondered about the wisdom of draining Boeung Kak, pumping it full of sand then building houses on it. A few years back, my partner was on at me about getting one of those boring boreys, paying a deposit and monthly payments before the ground was even broken. Paying someone for a job before it's finished in this country is never a safe bet as I found out one night when I prepaid a pizza from Pink Elephant to be delivered later that evening, but that gentle readers is a tale for another time.
This is the voice of the Mysterons. We know that you can hear us Earthmen.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic