food in cambodia

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: food in cambodia

Post by AndyKK »

I think someone posted before how poor food is in this country. I am now definitely agreeing with them. Unless in Phnom Penh or some of very few large cities the food will keep you alive if it can be stomached.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

Les Misérables
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

bolueeleh wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:24 pm
amuse bouche, escargot in wine reduction

expat living in cambodia (a third world country) posts pictures of poncy French food

u so not want to be chinese
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Beerinthemorning »

AndyKK wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:00 pm I think someone posted before how poor food is in this country. I am now definitely agreeing with them. Unless in Phnom Penh or some of very few large cities the food will keep you alive if it can be stomached.
Yes Khmer food barely edible and western food will cost 10000 riel upwards thats close to 2.5 USD (100 baht).

Not being an asshole but thailand is offering chicken steak, chips , salad for 2 USD and complimentary western sauces (worsteshere)

My room is 5 USD with all amenities.

Leos are cheap, 1 USD a pop, NO DTs like KoW.

Much better .....

Wayyyyyy better
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

Username Taken wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:04 pm
A huge plate with a dollop of something in the middle. Why? Why not just buy smaller plates?

How much was the amuse bouche, escargot in wine reduction?
amuse bouche is always free
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Beerinthemorning wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:48 pm
AndyKK wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:00 pm I think someone posted before how poor food is in this country. I am now definitely agreeing with them. Unless in Phnom Penh or some of very few large cities the food will keep you alive if it can be stomached.
Yes Khmer food barely edible and western food will cost 10000 riel upwards thats close to 2.5 USD (100 baht).

Not being an asshole but thailand is offering chicken steak, chips , salad for 2 USD and complimentary western sauces (worsteshere)

My room is 5 USD with all amenities.

Leos are cheap, 1 USD a pop, NO DTs like KoW.

Much better .....

Wayyyyyy better
And if you are just on tourist visas, I would agree Thailand is the better deal. That is if your prices are for real.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Then again! For the people still living in SHV what is the Chinese food like, is there good meals and value for money?
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

bolueeleh wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:53 pm
Username Taken wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:04 pm
A huge plate with a dollop of something in the middle. Why? Why not just buy smaller plates?

How much was the amuse bouche, escargot in wine reduction?
In that case, next time you're there, keep an eye out for BKKTrapper. He'll be they guy ordering a dozen of the free appetizers.

:popcorn:
GUS
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by GUS »

Great idea for a thread, for years I checked in on Sunsans 'What did you have for dinner?' On tof.
It is a shame this post has been received the way it has. That dining experience looks amazing, I would be a poor man if I didn't have two young ones that restrict the resturaunts I feel comfortable eating in (my kids and the fact that I wear singlets and rubber shoes)

[/quote]

[/quote]
I actually thought that was what the words meant,
AndyKK wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:07 pm Then again! For the people still living in SHV what is the Chinese food like, is there good meals and value for money?
Was there last week, I had a great omelet with Chinese sausage and fried rice but most of the places I looked at were uninviting and overpriced so I didn't get to try much. I did see alot of places with picture signs for mapo but I would not order it as a main so did not try.

I have been eating a lot more local food recently and will try to contribute to this thread if it stays alive past "That foods too fancy, the local food is shit and i cant eat breakfast because I drink too much".

I would encourage everyone to try a new food every now and then, maybe even share your experiences with that here?......
Ashcroftie
Expatriate
Zimbabwe

Post by Ashcroftie »

I absolutely hate those huge plates with something on there, that you actually have to search for to find it.

As another poster already said: yes, that ridiculous 'small portion' cuisine, also known as the wrong version of 'Nouvelle Cuisine' (I think it was never meant to be that way), has been dead for over 25 years. The chef at Topaz apparently not aware of it, and the owner still thinking he can make a shitload of money by presenting food (well, uhm, less than snacks really) this way.

Oh well, if they're enough idiots living in the past, I suppose he can. So, why not?

But those pics scream at me: NEVER EVER go to Topaz!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic